Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Getting enough gain for acoustic

slipper_man

Hello,

I'm using the Helix floor, and really happy with the sound I'm getting for my electric. I've been struggling to get a good sound for my acoustic which is equipped with a LR Baggs Anthem. Specifically the signal is really weak and low level. I'm having to start off with chaining multiple gain blocks all turned up full (about 4 or 5 in a row), and even when I do this there is a lot of hiss in the signal, and I can get distortion but the level is still not as loud as when I use my Radial PZ Pre. The LR Baggs pickup is lower output than a Fishman, but I've not usually had a problem.

Questions - which input should I be using? I've tried a Return and an Aux, but would the Guitar input be better? (I want to be able to have acoustic and elec plugged in at the same time and switch the source for different presets).

How can I tell which blocks are distorting and where? Would be really helpful if a block would indicate when it's clipping somehow.

Any advice to help me get this dialled in would be great. I'd then like to use a preamp and some delay/reverb, as well as the looper for my acoustic.

• 3 years later...
25 minutes ago, letterk said:

I'm digging up an old one. I have a similar problem, but not as bad. I know LR Baggs is known for being low output, but man, it's hard to find a working tone with that pickup. 

Don't expect answers to questions you have not asked... Be specific, be precise, be concise - that increases your chances for good answers.