Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I bet the Helix cannot replicate this tone

TheBreakneck

First of all that's several guitar takes all together. Do you have enough arms and hands (and guitars)?? Also.. Can you play like him? Can you imitate his touch, timing, pression etc..? do you have the same guitar(s)? pickups? Heck, even he would find it hard to replicate the same sound after all this time, as we all do on different days.. Why don't you concentrate on your perspective on this sound? What's the point in replicating a (technically) poor sound from half a century ago? 

• Upvote 1

What's the point in replicating a (technically) poor sound from half a century ago? 

I agree with everything you said up until this sentence. I'm not defending the DOOFUS OP but what, pray tell, constitutes a "technically poor sound"?

For that matter, what constitutes a technically good sound and what does it matter that it was created a half a century ago?

I can't say I'd spend too much time chasing that sound, Andy Summers' flanger tone was pretty weak honestly. You can actually hear the guitar through the flanger, what is that?! Everybody knows that Nicki Rose had the ULTIMATE flanger tone. Prepare to have your mind blown by the amazingness....

• Upvote 1

I can't say I'd spend too much time chasing that sound, Andy Summers' flanger tone was pretty weak honestly. You can actually hear the guitar through the flanger, what is that?! Everybody knows that Nicki Rose had the ULTIMATE flanger tone. Prepare to have your mind blown by the amazingness....

Mind = BLOWN. I think what put it over the top was him wearing his grandmother's sweater. Genius... 

• Upvote 1

So, what's it gonna take to get this a$$hat banned?

I love the fact that this guy has you so wound up that you cant simply ignore it.  Whats it like having your mind controlled by an internet troll?  Though, watching you, peter, and alex humiliate yourselvs over all this AGAIN, has been all the entertainment one could ask for....not to mention the fine job you guys have done in helping cement this forum legacy as being one of the more sensitive forums. 

First of all that's several guitar takes all together. Do you have enough arms and hands (and guitars)?? Also.. Can you play like him? Can you imitate his touch, timing, pression etc..? do you have the same guitar(s)? pickups? Heck, even he would find it hard to replicate the same sound after all this time, as we all do on different days.. Why don't you concentrate on your perspective on this sound? What's the point in replicating a (technically) poor sound from half a century ago? 

Can you replicate the tone in that recording of even one of the guitars? Timing and touch also has nothing whatsoever to do with the tone you hear, or are you suggesting that putting extra pressure on strings will get your flangar to voice right? Don't even get me started on the pickup ridiculousness.

• Downvote 4

I love the fact that this guy has you so wound up that you cant simply ignore it. Whats it like having your mind controlled by an internet troll? Though, watching you, peter, and alex humiliate yourselvs over all this AGAIN, has been all the entertainment one could ask for....not to mention the fine job you guys have done in helping cement this forum legacy as being one of the more sensitive forums.

Hah! Riiight. 🙄

I wish Line 6 would model the fan used on this so it can blow my hair like that. Not that I have the hair for it these days, but it'd be nice to have the option.

• Upvote 1

Hey guys what do you think about the Univibe in the helix?? Love to hear your comments. Personally I think it's pretty good but not sure about some of the settings.

I think the Univibe is probably my favorite effect in Helix! I have an external expression pedal (made from the big red husk of a Dunlop RotoVibe, appropriately...) dedicated to it in every single preset. The "Lamp Bias" is critical in my opinion. As it loads, I find the "swooshes" in the sweep are far too prominent. Reducing the Lamp Bias really tames that. I run it at about 3.1.

I think the Univibe is probably my favorite effect in Helix! I have an external expression pedal (made from the big red husk of a Dunlop RotoVibe, appropriately...) dedicated to it in every single preset. The "Lamp Bias" is critical in my opinion. As it loads, I find the "swooshes" in the sweep are far too prominent. Reducing the Lamp Bias really tames that. I run it at about 3.1.

Agreed, I use it for that Trower type of U-vibe. I just find the transition of the "swoosh" part isn't smooth enough though. I'm still working with it, I could post a clip if you like.

Agreed, I use it for that Trower type of U-vibe. I just find the transition of the "swoosh" part isn't smooth enough though. I'm still working with it, I could post a clip if you like.

I'd love to hear what you've got! The "swoosh" was a stumbling block for me as well, seemed to stand too far "forward" relative to the guitar. I'd not presume to tell you of all people how to dial in an effect, but for my part that Lamp Bias parameter brought everything right in. I used a Fulltone DejaVibe previously I feel the Helix Vibe is a close competitor.

I love the fact that this guy has you so wound up that you cant simply ignore it.  Whats it like having your mind controlled by an internet troll?  Though, watching you, peter, and alex humiliate yourselvs over all this AGAIN, has been all the entertainment one could ask for....not to mention the fine job you guys have done in helping cement this forum legacy as being one of the more sensitive forums. 

Spot on.

-

• Upvote 1

It's also worth mentioning that this just happens to be precisely what this guy wants.

No question about it. Whether he knows it or not ..... its what BOTH parties want. Hence the perpetuation of confrontation. I mean these are supposed to be grown men here, and they bicker like 15 year old ghetto girls on facebook. Back and forth, back and forth. If they could get past themselves for a second, maybe they'd realize that the forum is whats really taking the punishment.

Im actually FAR less offended by the OP. Maybe his approach isn't perfect but i honestly believe that the tone is or at least was at some point, his bigger asgenda. I cant really blame him for defending himself. 

Sure, there are lots of tones Helix can not replicate. There are lots of tones a Marshall amp cant rep either, but both can sound good and are fun to play so it shouldn't matter if they can reproduce every sound ever made. I also feel like the Helix is the least of the problem in re creating this tone.

Sure there are lots of tones Helix can not replicate. There are lots of tones a Marshall amp cant rep either, but both can sound good and are fun to play so it shouldnt matter if they can reproduce every sound ever made.

I agree with everything you said up until this sentence. I'm not defending the DOOFUS OP but what, pray tell, constitutes a "technically poor sound"?

For that matter, what constitutes a technically good sound and what does it matter that it was created a half a century ago?

I mean.. I'm not talking about guitar technique, but recording technique and gear availability.. I'm pretty sure that was not a choice, but a production "restraint".. We now have the chance to make things sound better, technologically wise.. Music and emotional impact is just another subject, and we're talking about one of my favourite artists, here... so I guess I didn't explain myself too well.. But hey, the point remains.. What's the point in imitating something so far in the past?

Had Jimi or Andy or others imitated their predecessors' sound, would we have their signature sound to talk about, nowadays?

Can you replicate the tone in that recording of even one of the guitars? Timing and touch also has nothing whatsoever to do with the tone you hear, or are you suggesting that putting extra pressure on strings will get your flangar to voice right? Don't even get me started on the pickup ridiculousness.

Sorry, were we talking about the flanger or the tone? pickup ridiculousness? That's frequency 101 and flanging IS a frequency based effect (ever heard of phase cancellation?).. and yes, changing your touch changes the way every fx behave, just as much as it changes the frequency balance in your sound.. but maybe you haven't gotten to that level in your guitar playing, so sorry for the spoiler. Anyway.. no, I don't think I can replicate that sound, but I think I could replicate that mood. But again.. Why would I want to do it? And timing? well.. psychoacoustically the timing influences the way we perceive tone way more than you could imagine. Sorry if my reply feels in any way harsher than yours was perceived here. peace

All of these threads were worth it just to get a glimpse of this guitar genius! I love stuff like this. I think because I just may see some of myself in him. Thank you for turning me on to this. There is little to no info on the net about him. I did see one comment to an article that he had committed suicide in 1994. Not confirmed anywhere else but a shame really if that's true. I am now the newest member of the Nicki Rose fan club. I'm gonna make a t-shirt.

I can. It's hard to claim self defense after you've thrown the first punch...plus, the relentless obsession is just plain weird.

But either way I'm out, because I guarantee he's getting off on this back and forth too...because even if we're not talking directly to him, it's still ABOUT him.

Not to be rude, oh no, oh no, but you said that in the previous thread.  Please don't drop out - I enjoy your snark.

In the absence of a firmware upgrade, I find this to be the most fun thread on this board.  It's fascinating to me how some people (the Doofus OP, in this case) have no pride and no shame and are willing to make total lollipops of themselves in public.  

Then we have his defenders, like "45-year old", who earnestly attempt to address OP's non-existent point.

Then we have anarchists like me who just enjoy textbook examples of fallacious logic and poor behavior.

Please don't stop.  I don't want to read another thread about the tuner.

All of these threads were worth just to get a glimpse of this guitar genius! I love stuff like this. I think because I just may see some of myself in him. Thank you for turning me on to this. There is little to no info on the net about him. I did see one comment to an article that he had committed suicide in 1994. Not confirmed anywhere else but a shame really if that's true. I am now the newest member of the Nicki Rose fan club. I'm gonna make a t-shirt.

Man, I hope that isn't the case! I found his videos a few years ago, I've always kind of imagined that these days he has a regular old day job and receives an occasional good-natured ribbing about his Glam Rock days from his buddies. If there's a fan club with tee-shirts, I'm in!  :D

Wait a minute. If you take the name Nicki Rose, correlate each letter with it's corresponding  number in the alphabet, multiply all of that by 666, take that number, separate it back out and correlate each number back to it's corresponding letter....VOILA!! It spells TheBreakneck!!! The OP's NAME!!!!!

Nicki Rose is FOUND!!!!

Nicki how's it goin'? Was that video your first attempt at the Police sound?

(Sorry folks I couldn't resist. I think I'm done now.)

• Upvote 1

Man, I hope that isn't the case! I found his videos a few years ago, I've always kind of imagined that these days he has a regular old day job and receives an occasional good-natured ribbing about his Glam Rock days from his buddies. If there's a fan club with tee-shirts, I'm in!  :D

I agree. I was just going to do a print screen of a good pose from one of his videos and print it out with his name on an iron on. Stick that on a T-shirt. I did that with my avatar and it worked pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yO2VDyvua8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yO2VDyvua8

(Sorry about the previous BLANK reply, I didn't mean to send it before writing in the text!)

Dude–I was only going to watch about 30 seconds of it, then tell you that "you're the worst!" LoL (in a friendly way).... But then, I became a deer in headlights, and stared into the abyss with a hypnotic, evil, "Pennywise leer". After I finished the entire clip, it felt like I was in a K-hole for two days straight.

Scarred (and scared) for life,

Kenny

p.s. I was also waiting for "Great job!" to show up at the very end, over an image of Tim and Eric haha

I bet my house. I bet my car. I bet everything.

Great news!  I've exactly replicated that tone using my Helix and a guitar!!!

Thing is, I don't trust you not to steal it.

Accordingly, please send me your mailing address (no P.O. Box).  I will mail you a NON-DISCLOSURE agreement.  Please sign it, have your signature notarized and mail it back to me.  Upon receipt, I will send you the audio file.  

You will be amazed and will finally be able to put your quest to rest.

Thanks, but I don't want your car or your house.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Now you’re talking. .....You get to see Dweezil in his recent tour thru NL?

Yeah, I saw the Dweeze in Utrecht on the 17th of October!

It was absolutely amazing! He has really developed so much it ain't funny.

His presentation is also really good these days.

The band is phenomenal. The new singer/guitar player is great, a much better fit than the former singer which I didn't really like.

He was a good singer but somehow didn't fit with this music IMHO.

The new female singer is off the planet, I want to marry her!

It was definitely one of the best concerts I have even seen.

You?