Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Jtv-59 Korean Set Up Specs?

Factory specs will not necessarily help since all guitars are different.  There are several ways to remove fret buzz.  File down frets, adjust truss rod, adjust bridge height.  Which method you choose depends on the root of the problem.  Raising the bridge is the easiest solution though it alters the action for the entire fretboard.  Since you claim the buzz is limited to a small part of the neck, I have to go with a fret job though I'd check the neck for straightness first.

I got a 69-S from SW.

I ended up floating the bridge, altering the saddle heights and messing with the truss rod to get it to where I like it.

I don't mind some fret buzz as you really don't hear it thru an amp, but the modeling aspect of these guitars doesn't like as much buzz as I normally would allow, so I adjusted to taste.

Works fine now though the gap when switching pickups in modeling mode is annoying.

• Upvote 1

I have also just purchased a JTV-69s from Sweetwater. Mine needed some adjusting, but just for personal preference. I would call your sales rep at Sweetwater and tell them your issue. They will probably put you on the phone with a tech who can walk you through testing to see if you have a high fret wire. For now, just get a nice thick metal straight edge and lay it over the frets. If you have a high one, the straight edge will rock on both sides of it. It sounds like you know how to check the neck relief. I keep mine at about .008 at the 8th fret. If your guitar does have a fret that needs adjusting, I would be very surprised. I have found that Sweetwater does really go over these guitars before shipping them to their customers.

• Upvote 1

I think setup is a personal thing.  Playing style dictates the setup.  My JTV-69S was set up almost to my liking from Sweetwater.  I had to raise the LowE and A string slightly at the saddle and I had to shorten the speaking length of the Low E to get the intonation spot on.  This is less than I have had to do on most guitars I have acquired.

Make sure your fretboard has a little relief between the first and last fret.  If it doesn't it at least needs a trus rod adjustment.  Make sure you do not have any high frets using a straight edge.  If you do, then it needs work and if it's new I would send it back.  If the fretboard checks out and you have some buzz, raise the saddle on the strings that buzz until they don't. 

I think everyone should learn how to do a basic setup.  There are some great books out there.  The one I have is "How to Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great" by Dan Erlewine.  This is a great book that goes through setting up your guitar in great detail with lots of very good pictures.

In a pinch, you may want to look into having it Plek'd.  Just got my JTV-69 (w/ strat neck) done and it's like a different instrument.  In all the years I've been playing I've never seen such a perfect job of fret leveling.  No, the Plek machine is not a replacement for technical skills, but in the hands of a good luthier it can work to tolerances you couldn't dream of doing by hand.

Now I have to save my pennies to have all my other guitars done...

Since we're talking about setting up these guitars, I have a question. I am not a big fan of the intonation screws on the JTV-69. They have to be adjusted with an allen wrench rather than ALL my other guitars which are small philips head screws. Does anyone know the size (length - thread count) of the screws? I could take one out and measure, but if someone knows, I will order replacements. These are the kinds of details that are hard to wrench out of Line 6. Thanks in advance!

Line 6 does give the sizes of the wrenches, although, it's still a bit confusing because not all Variaxes come with the sizes listed here:

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/guitars/james-tyler-variax-guitars/accessories-included-with-james-tyler-variax-gu-r152

But I believe the wrench needed for the intonation screws is the 1.5mm. All the others listed seem like they'd be too big to me.

Line 6 does give the sizes of the wrenches, although, it's still a bit confusing because not all Variaxes come with the sizes listed here:

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/guitars/james-tyler-variax-guitars/accessories-included-with-james-tyler-variax-gu-r152

But I believe the wrench needed for the intonation screws is the 1.5mm. All the others listed seem like they'd be too big to me.

Thanks for that link. Not an answer to my question, but interesting. I find it strange that the allen wrenches are a mix of SAE and metric. You'd think they would all be metric given that all the stuff is probably sourced overseas. I looked for a set of metric precision ball hex drivers with handles. Tough to find. I found one set on Amazon (http://amzn.to/18Wigx4) which I may spring for.

• 2 weeks later...

I had problems setting up my JTV59 with Adagio 9's as I was unable to adjust the 6th bass string intonation scale length long enough with the saddle right back and the standard hex screw on that end of the bridge at max., it fell out inside eventually. Had to root about in my bolt box and luckily found a bolt long enought to do the trick but it looks crap, anyone else had this problem? Still don't know what the correct string height for 9's is !!!!

• Upvote 1

I am having a similar problem with my new JTV59, namely a buzzing on the low E string, especially in the lower frets up to say 11th.  I suspect one of my frets is not level.  I called Sweetwater and they were great about it, and said they'd make it right on their dime.  I am waiting now for communications from them as to how to return my guitar. Yeah, it sucks to not have it for a while, but I have to admire Sweetwater and their commitment to their customers.  This is exactly why they are the only ones I buy from, so long as they have what I need of course.  They always have.

So other than a buzzy 6th string noticable mostly on the T-Model, Spank, Chime and Acoustic models, this guitar is a keeper for sure.  Plays very well, gets excellent sounding model sounds along with my POD HD500.  This offers me the opportunity to wank away on all my favorite genres with authentic sounds for a very reasonable price,  Not to mention the fun I have experimenting with what exists in the guitar world, and what I think ought to exist (via the Variax Workbench) and the truly unique sounds I have made in just my first 10 days with this thing.  Thanks Line 6...

I think that if Line6 gets their manufacturing process to that next level with regards to setup, these guitars would knock anyone's socks off.