Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD500X suddenly no output

yupe189

Hello guys,

I have owned a HD500x for a year without any problems. Suddenly, something strange happens with this unit. It started few days ago when I did rehearsal. It suddenly lost output. (I always uses the 1/4 inch output- Left) . At first, I thought that it was my guitar jack. Then it went normal. Next day, when i did rehearsal again, it lost the sound again. I change the cable many times, and there was no change. However, when I changed into Right output jack, the unit worked normal and no output lost even once. Is there anyone who experienced this weird situation like mine? Or anyone have solution?

Thanks!

I'm not a L6 tech, but I'll try to make a hypothesis.I guess that the jack outputs have an internal microswitch that detects if a jack is plugged in.if both jack outputs are used thus both microswitch detectors are engaged, then the stereo signal is normally split into LEFT and RIGHT, but if only one jack is used and then only one microswitch detector is engaged then the original stereo signal is converted into mono..due to the repeatedly inserting and disconnecting the jack, the socket gets worn out after some time, and probably also its microswitch detector.. if both the jack socket and the microswitch don't do a clean contact as they should, audio signal drop outs may occur I guess..maybe a careful cleaning with compressed air and/or a good cleaner can solve the problem, otherwise it is probably necessary to replace the faulty jack.the fact that using the RIGHT jack output (which probably has been used much less than the LEFT one) you don't have any problems, makes me think that probably I'm right

Thanks for the suggestion, but the situation is the unit seems completely muted and then gain its original volume level.

since based on what you said before it seems that by using instead the RIGHT jack never happens the same issue, hope that is just a worn-out/dirty issue on the LEFT one, and not instead something more complex which could involve fried integrated circuits..

I would test also if the XLR outputs and headphones have any similar problem, especially the LEFT channel, just to narrow the possible causes

I never use the the XLRs , the headphones jack is working normally. The one that acting weird is just the Left channel of 1/4 inch output jack. Anyway, thanks for your advice and help. I'll take the unit to the technician.

• 5 months later...

Hey Yupe189,

I was wondering if you found a solution? I'm having a similar issue. My left output stuttered and lost connection constantly, then yesterday it just stopped working altogether. Although when I tried using the right output, I get no sound at all. I'm not sure if that's because I need to enable a setting that will send the signal out through the right output or something (i've never used the right output before, so I don't know if it's fried too, or if it's a setting I'm missing). I can't find any information on such a setting.

UPDATE:

So the headphones output works perfectly. And I kept trying the L/R outputs and they both suffer from the same issue. The signal stutters like a broken patch chord, or there is no sound at all.

Edited by joeytremblay
Added and update

• 2 years later...

I had a similar bug where only one channel (left or right) was activated at a time...    for example when i connect a jack to left channel only left channel is working, even if the right output is connected too...

What I did is toggle the little black switch saying 1/4 out  to "amp" level and then switched back to "line" level and now everything seems ok...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joel_brown said:

You responded to a 2 year old post.

Better late than never, I would say..

in any case more than a reply I would consider the recent post by Gueyome as an update/possible solution to a topic which was still unresolved , and it could be useful to those who currently have the same problem covered by this thread, thread that even if old is still indexed by search engines and appears in the results when looking for certain topics and solutions.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

• 3 years later...
On 4/25/2020 at 2:58 PM, Gueyome said:

I had a similar bug where only one channel (left or right) was activated at a time...    for example when i connect a jack to left channel only left channel is working, even if the right output is connected too...

What I did is toggle the little black switch saying 1/4 out  to "amp" level and then switched back to "line" level and now everything seems ok...

By God, this worked! What a weird issue. As soon as I touched the toggle it was like I was touching a loose wire connection and I heard static; then I switched it to amp and back to line out and the problem was resolved. Thanks so much. Indeed it's important to leave these fixes up online to help others.

I had a similar issue years ago with my POD X3 Live. There’s a similar switch on the back of the unit that surprisingly acts as a Mute switch when in the middle position, neither Amp nor Line. I spent hours trouble shooting before checking that switch and remembering I had vacuumed the device surface the previous day…..