Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

shorter power cord for Helix

BuckeyeTodd

That's the thing that's great about the Helix having an internal power supply - you can use any old IEC cable you want with it. There's nothing special about the one that comes with it. Most amps, powered speakers, and, well, most professional audio gear use these types of power cords nowadays, so it's a good idea to keep a couple extra in your gig bag if you're playing out a lot.

I've found that Goodwill or other thrift stores are great places to pick up IEC power cables on the cheap.  I then cut them to the length needed and stick a new three prong Edison plug on the wall socket end - works wonders for tidying up wiring inside a rack.  Once I order the secondary I/O panel for my rack, I'll be making another cable that's IEC on one end for the Helix and PowerCON on the other to plug into the rack without running a separate extension cord from the conditioner like I do now. 

I work in IT. I have access to literally hundreds of these things. I leave a couple plugged in at home where my helix stays when I'm not gigging. Of course I have several in my gig bag as well.

Brilliant.  I know a guy who does both IT and music, I need to hit him up for a handful.  :D

"Lucky is the man with unlimited IEC cords." ~ Aristotle

And upon reading that, coffee went through my nose. 

Also in IT ....I've got tons of those IEC extension cables that came with servers, those are super handy for live setups.

Lol.  I'm a server-storage developer, and may have been known to bring home a few IEC cords and extensions of various lengths.  :)  And cable wraps that come with rack rails.  Maybe.  

Lol.  I'm a server-storage developer, and may have been known to bring home a few IEC cords and extensions of various lengths.  :)  And cable wraps that come with rack rails.  Maybe.  

Yeah the reality is most of them are tossed into a box with the rest and they'll go unopened and eventually sent to surplus because there are too many taking up space. So the load gets lightened a little bit.

( I have no knowledge of the aforementioned conversation )

• 3 months later...