Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

FX Send "Instrument Level"`

d-flat

On a helix lt I set the FX sends to be "instrument". Then in a preset I put either Send 1 or FX Loop 1 as the first block in the chain. I assumed this would "duplicate" the original signal that was coming from the guitar and route it to whatever I have plugged into the send 1 output jack, but this doesn't seem to be the case. 

The use case I tested this with was having a rocksmith cable connected to fx send 1. It does route a guitar signal through the rocksmith cable to the PC, but the signal received by the software has a lot of noise. This is not the case when I have the cable plugged directly into the guitar. So it seems that the helix is modifying the signal in some way, but I am not sure how -- by amplifying it, or something else. I also tried with send 2 (and fx loop 2) which has the same result. All levels are at 0.0db, and turning them down does not remove the noise. What about the guitar signal is being changed before it gets routed out of the send jack? Impedance?

Also of note in case this matters, I have the guitar in pad turned on. Is there any A/D conversion happening to the signal before it gets routed out to a send?

• Upvote 1

When I want to brush up on a song that I don't yet have memorized, I'll go into rocksmith because it's more fun than looking up tabs, keeping notes, etc. Noodling with my helix lt trial, I wired it up with my guitar going into the helix and then sending an output from the helix to the rocksmith 1/4"/usb cable. On the preset I put in fx loop 1, turned the mix down to 0 (and set return to zero). I am already using the Helix USB audio with the same PC that is hosting the PC version of the game (from steam). When I play the game, I hear the audio from headphones plugged into the helix. Then in rocksmith's mixer I will just turn down the guitar volume to zero. When I play, I hear my guitar coming through whatever preset I have selected for the song, plus the song coming from the game. The reason for sending the guitar signal also to the PC via the rocksmith cable, is because that makes the note recognition, tuner, etc also work from within the game. 

It really doesn't matter, I asked this question mainly out of curiosity. I turn the volume all the way down so the only effect it might have is causing interference with rocksmith's note recognition, but I really don't care about that. I'm, not going for the high score, just to sound better. I am going to try the same with AX8 but will need an ABY pedal to pull it off, so I could use that instead for the helix. 

• Upvote 1

Well, the reason you're getting the noise, most likely, is because you have multiple connections between the Helix and the computer. The USB connection from the Helix and the Rocksmith could easily cause a ground loop.

Well, the reason you're getting the noise, most likely, is because you have multiple connections between the Helix and the computer. The USB connection from the Helix and the Rocksmith could easily cause a ground loop.

Probably right. 

• Upvote 1

Ebtech makes some reasonably priced ground lift boxes; I use one with Helix and tube amp(s) when I am doing 4CM and such.

This is what I'm using; but you really only need one channel:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Hum

Behringer makes one for 1/3 the price; easy investment to sort out if that is actually the issue!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HD400