Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

About the USB Editor

d-flat

So before purchasing, I read a lot about how easy it is to edit presets, etc from both the unit and from the helix editing software when connected via USB. So far my main setup has been to have the board on the floor, operating it with my feet, and use the PC to edit presets. Having used the editor over the past couple of weeks, I am not impressed. I've been reading through various forums like this one, and have seen a couple of relevant topics come up a couple of times, but wanted to ask again because I couldn't find any canonical sources for some of these things.

I recall reading somewhere, but didn't save the link, that a new & improved Helix editor application is in the works. Has L6 said anything about this? I know they are being hush about a lot of the things coming down the pipeline, which I understand from a specific business angle, even if I do find it frustrating (like just about everyone else here). But has anyone announced or hinted at an updated editor, and if so, where was that?

Some things in here I find really frustrating, like the fact that there is no UNDO (I have seen several people ask for this). With the size of the level sliders being so big, it's really easy to click a slider by accident and lose its previous value. In addition to undo, some kind of a lock on the parameter to prevent click accidents would also be useful for clumsy mouse operators like me. Other things are less intuitive, like the fact that you can right click a slider to set its value explicitly. I like this feature, it was just not obvious to me that it existed before I stumbled upon it.

When it comes to assigning block parameters to snapshots, I often find myself going to the unit on the floor because it's just easier there to push a knob and turn it. I don't know why this feature couldn't be in the editor as well. I know you can assign controllers to snaps from the editor, but it's a lot more work than the push/turn on the unit. Some kind of button or toggle to map the next change in a parameter to the current snapshot would be useful. Or something even better than that idea would work too. 

Another pain point is the size, positioning, and layout of many things on the screen. For example in the Bypass and Controller assign tabs, a lot of times the thing I want is in a dropdown that I have to scroll through to get at. Perhaps an ellipsis button here along with the dropdown would help, so that I could click it and view all of the options without any of them being overflowed behind a scroll frame.

Speaking of scrolling, it would be a nice feature to be able to collapse the signal path view, or at least adjust its height so that I could view more parameter sliders at a time without having to scroll down to see the ones on page 2. ParaGraphic EQ comes to mind on this one. Even a setting to give the sliders less height so you could fit more of them within the scroll boundary at a time would be nice. 

Please don't point me to ideascale to upvote any of these things if they are already there, I may do that if I end up keeping the unit, but right now I just don't want to spend the effort. Just trying, like everyone else, to get a gauge on what's on the roadmap for this platform. I recall DI saying something about L6 not being transparent because one of their competitors is watching their ideascale closely, and I remember thinking that didn't sound like L6 was very confident about their ability to beat the competition despite a more transparent set of plans for the platform. I'm sure they have their reasons, which probably ultimately boil down to IP ownership and market share directives from top management, but as a customer, it is definitely something that turns me off somewhat to this product line, and the company in general. 

The first official public announcement confirming the forthcoming Helix Edit application was back at NAMM in January 2017. At that time, it was made clear that the Helix Editor program would be released concurrent with a new version of firmware, both, after, Helix Native was released. At that time, Helix Edit was described as a replacement for the existing Helix Editor program, and that it would share much of the User Interface of Helix Native. The Helix Native User Interface was shown at NAMM. Helix Native was anticipated for release late Spring. As it turned out, Helix Native was released this Summer.

Helix Edit is due in the next few weeks. Line 6 has not confirmed any fixed release date. It will be released with Helix Firmware vers 2.30 for all Helix platforms simultaneously. Firmware 2.30 and beyond will require the use of the new Helix Edit software for any Computer control or Preset editing done via PC or Mac. Thus, the existing Helix Editor program will no longer work with firmware 2.30 or later.

Line 6 has also stated that the entire software and firmware installation, Preset Backup and Restore and IR Management methods are being overhauled, however, these are not part of, as far as I know, the new Helix Edit software. The term Helix Core has also been used in conjunction with references to the forthcoming platform wide Helix firmware 2.30 version, so this may too, be a shift of nomenclarture by Line 6 moving forward.

As for the Helix units, they absolutely operate wonderfully as stand alone units, with many features quicker and easier to accomplish on the unit than via software control. Personally, I vastly prefer using my Helix Floor stand alone, and only use the Helix Editor when necessary to update the firmware on my Helix Floor. Until many of the valid points you mentioned are resolved, I do not see myselft altering my usage methods with the Helix, as the hardware works so well, and the exiting Helix Editor software, by comparison, is limiting and constrained.

Line 6's representatives and the Helix User community are very helpful with getting users up to speed through the learning curve. Hope you find the answers you seek quickly and with sufficient understanding to assist your making the best choice regarding Helix for your needs. If you are unable to find answers on Line 6's website or resources, these Forums and The Gear Page net Digital and Modeling sub-Forum are amongs the best places to post and read. If you are Facebook fan, there are Helix groups there too.

Hope this helps.

When it comes to assigning block parameters to snapshots, I often find myself going to the unit on the floor because it's just easier there to push a knob and turn it. I don't know why this feature couldn't be in the editor as well. I know you can assign controllers to snaps from the editor, but it's a lot more work than the push/turn on the unit. Some kind of button or toggle to map the next change in a parameter to the current snapshot would be useful. Or something even better than that idea would work too. 

These shortcuts will change your life...

- Snapshot Assign Shortcut—OPTION-click (Mac) or ALT-click (PC) any Home screen parameter to quickly assign its value to the Snapshots controller

- Unassign Controller Shortcut—SHIFT-OPTION-click (Mac) or SHIFT-ALT-click (PC) any Home screen parameter to instantly remove any controller assignment

Thanks both of you, good info here. @phil_m I just noticed your sig, what a great book huh? Really seems relevant here, and yes, those shortcuts will definitely help. Just need to make sure I'm not accidentally sitting on shift & alt keys when I click a parameter, because I am guessing there is no confirmation dialog for the clear controller assignment shortcut.

The editing on the unit definitely beats the software except for 2 cases that I can think of off the top of my head, one being renaming things (because, qwerty keyboard) and the other is when it's on the floor and being operated with feet. That's where I have it now, and that's probably going to be where it stays for a while, on the floor. 

I'm a software engineer, so I know how these things go with release estimates, but this is encouraging info. Makes sense that they would want native done first to avoid duplicating efforts with additional editor features that would go into both pieces of software.... especially when everything is built with C/C++/assembly, which I am guessing it is. I also really liked how when I crack open a .hlx file, it's nothing but JSON data inside. Opens up a cool possibility of putting presets under version control in git to take advantage of diffs, tags, etc. CustomTone is... I want to say terrible but that may be too harsh, so instead I'll just say it's "not great"... preset version management being one of those things that detracts from it. Then again, they are also using ct for binary presets files (pod) and visual knob settings (amps).

Thanks again!

And if we all remember back to the days of yore, DI never wanted to write the first editor in the first place 'cause the plans were in place to release the upcoming editor, and he didn't want to take development time away from the product and felt editing on the unit was easy enough,... But, due to popular demand, and the need to back up presets etc., he acquiesced, bumped other development and created an interim editor....

Which I happen to like just fine, cause, well.. it works and does its job, and I'd rather play music than worry about the interface as long as I can get my job done, which I can... (realizing others may not so much, as is their prerogative)

(Who needs stinkin' 4D displays anyway, or whatever they are called :0/ )