Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

List your real Overdrive Pedals that you use with Helix

vertibration

I picked up a Fulltone OCD,the helix does a good job but the real pedal just really sounds full Im not knocking the helix version at all it sounds pretty close,beisdes I can now use the ocd pedal with my peavey delta blues 115 also.

Just last weekend I hooked up my 90's TS-9 to find out the Tube Screamer modeled in the Helix sounded drastically better. I was like...hmmmm, ok then, and put the real TS-9 back in the closet.

That's interesting. I was using my TS-9 because I felt it sounded different enough from the Helix's TS-808 model that it was worth having as another option. To my ears, the TS-808 model has a bit warmer gain, while the TS-9, at least my unit, is capable of cleaner settings. I usually kept it set as an almost clean boost. I moved the TS-9 to another pedalboard a couple months ago, which reminds me: it would be really cool if Line 6 could add the TS9 as a "version" option within the TS-808 model, like they have with the OCD.

That's interesting. I was using my TS-9 because I felt it sounded different enough from the Helix's TS-808 model that it was worth having as another option. To my ears, the TS-808 model has a bit warmer gain, while the TS-9, at least my unit, is capable of cleaner settings. I usually kept it set as an almost clean boost. I moved the TS-9 to another pedalboard a couple months ago, which reminds me: it would be really cool if Line 6 could add the TS9 as a "version" option within the TS-808 model, like they have with the OCD.

It definitely sounded different, I just didn't care for it. At first I thought it was odd as it was a perfect match for my JCM-800 back in the day and perhaps this one just isn't great with the Helix. I didn't delve real deep with it or try it with a lot of different amps in the Helix, I connected it, played with the dials a bit, compared against the modeled tube screamer and was nope, I like the modeled one better.

I suppose I'm also  trying to get away from "what" I'm using and just go with whatever gets the sound I like. Example, I don't think the JCM-800 in the Helix sounds anywhere near what my JCM-800 sounded like but the JTM-45 with the gain and master on 10 and the bias at 7.5 sure as heck does and is the rock tone I like (and with the right IR). I also really like the minotaur in front of that.

None! One of the minor reasons I got Helix was to get rid of the clutter. 

Just last weekend I hooked up my 90's TS-9 to find out the Tube Screamer modeled in the Helix sounded drastically better. I was like...hmmmm, ok then, and put the real TS-9 back in the closet.

I can dig it. I think the Helix Rat model sounds better than the pedal that I have.

Not sure if this counts but I have ran my Rp360xp into helix’s fx loop and started using some of the amps from it and ran it into the HX cabinets. They sound pretty sweet and it adds those amps that helix is missing. A 69 Laney Supergroup for my early Sabbath tones, a 67 Sunn 1007 mixed with Helix’s Gibson Eh-185 helped me get Them Crooked Vultures tone and more. Pretty cool!

Tested my Archer.  Its similar to the model on the Helix, but much much much thicker with more depth.  I have to rework my High Gain Archon presets, and EQ out the low end.   Now that I really tested it, its not as tight and focused as the Minitaur.  I can appreciate the depth it adds, but its just not worth it.  I think the Overdrives in Helix are really really good.  Returning the Archer