Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Migrate to new computer

Dang3rZ0n3

I have found myself in the unfortunate situation where I have totally destroyed the laptop (including the hard drive) that I used to connect to and edit my Helix.  Fortunately, the Helix itself survived, thanks to its rugged construction.

But now I need to install the Editor, Updater, Native, and audio playback drivers on my new laptop.  I did happen to save my Setlists and IRs to cloud storage; but have made many changes and added a few presets since the last save.  I do not want to lose any changes since my last save.

The Editor installation instructions are very clear that you have to reset globals and presets, and use your *existing* editor to backup your presets and IRs if you want to save them - well, of course, I don't *have* an existing editor on the new laptop.  

How can I transfer the current Setlists and IRs from my Helix to my new laptop?

By "existing editor", they just mean the version of the editor that you were using before the latest firmware update. If you were running the latest firmware and editor prior to your laptop was destroyed, all you have to do is install that version on your new computer, connect the Helix to it, and back up your presets from the Helix. You'll be good to go.

Thanks for your response Phil.

So if I understand correctly, while installing the Editor software, I simply ignore the instructions to reset the globals and presets?  Also, my Helix has firmware v. 2.20.0 installed - does this mean I have to install Editor 2.20 vs. the current released version (2.21)?

I have to admit, I'm terrified of starting the process and then having it just start nuking my presets somewhere along the line and I don't have an opportunity to stop it.

Chris

It is like installing an app on your iPhone, you do not have to do a factory reset on the phone to install an app. The software is stand alone on your PC. After the editor is installed, then you can connect your helix to your PC. 

Thanks for your response Phil.

So if I understand correctly, while installing the Editor software, I simply ignore the instructions to reset the globals and presets?  Also, my Helix has firmware v. 2.20.0 installed - does this mean I have to install Editor 2.20 vs. the current released version (2.21)?

I have to admit, I'm terrified of starting the process and then having it just start nuking my presets somewhere along the line and I don't have an opportunity to stop it.

Chris

You don't have to do anything to the Helix. Just install the editor on your new computer, and you'll be good to go. You can create new backups with the editor on you ur new computer.

It is like installing an app on your iPhone, you do not have to do a factory reset on the phone to install an app. The software is stand alone on your PC. After the editor is installed, then you can connect your helix to your PC. 

Install the editor software with your Helix unplugged from your PC. Just install Editor. Then connect your helix, make sure it connects to your PC, then do your backups. 

Thanks for your response.

I'll give it a try this aft.  The part that had me spooked is that on the Download page Release Notes, it does not say anything about "just install Editor" ... it's all about updating firmware, installing Editor, running Updater, and resetting.  And, as you point out, it doesn't make sense that you have to do a factory reset to install an app - and that's exactly what I thought the instructions were telling me I had to do.

Chris

I've done this like 5 times already in the last few months...I'm in IT and I swap computers like underwear...

Install the Helix editor software, then connect helix via USB. It will be just like how you used it on your old computer, it won't erase anything.

• 3 months later...

Okay I have the same exact issue, my floor Helix was updated to the 2.5 version, I then destroyed my laptop. I have a backup laptop and have downloadedall kinds of software, deleted all kinds of software. Can someone tell me what EXACTLY to install from the Helix download site. Just editor doesnt tell me anything, the words I see are 2.20 edit and so on, If my computer has nothing on it curently what do I install? Version and exact name would great, According to post above, I would install the 2.5 on my computer? There are a couple of different 2.5, Flash memory, and so on, I am not familiar with all the terminology and CANNOT find info to educate myself. Thank YOU!!

Thanks Alan

Download:

HX Edit       HX Edit Version 2.51
Released 2/7/18

If your Helix is already up-to-date- with the 2.5 firmware, then a new copy of HX EDIT is all you need to download. Download it and Install it - all WITHOUT the Helix connected. Once it's full installed, connect your Helix and you can backup/transfer all of your patches.