Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Backpack - am I crazy?

GenoBluzGtr

Am I crazy or is the indentation for the pedal on the wrong side of the backpack?  

If I put the Helix in the way it appears that it's intended, then resting the back flat on it's back means the weight is pushing down on the footswitches.. doesn't seem to make sense to me?  

I know it's intended to sit on it's edge or bottom... but when I'm transporting it works best to lie on it's back... but I don't like knowing that those footswitches are underneath the weight of the unit.  

Grasp the Helix by long side edge of the foot treadle. Hold it vertically and descend/insert it into the Helix backpack such that it is resting on the interior side of the pack's back cusioned area. If the large outer lower pouch of the Backpack contains gear (, other pedals, powerstrip, cables, etc., the pack will stand naturally as you insert the Helix. If the outer pouches are empty, you may find it easier to insert the Helix with the pack positioned horizontally. I don't recollect ever laying the loaded backpack with the large Helix Logo "> <" facing downward.

If you open the main compartment, and look at the bottom of the pack, there is an indentation (trough??) that looks like it's the exact size of the built-in pedal.  it's on the side facing the shoulder straps. If you use that as it is apparently indended, that puts the pedal and switches facing the shoulder strats.  

It will still fit the other way (and that's how I'm doing it for now), but it appears to be built to accept the helix exactly the opposite of how we all (I think) think that it should go.  

Grasp the Helix by long side edge of the foot treadle. Hold it vertically and descend/insert it into the Helix backpack such that it is resting on the interior side of the pack's back cusioned area. If the large outer lower pouch of the Backpack contains gear (, other pedals, powerstrip, cables, etc., the pack will stand naturally as you insert the Helix. If the outer pouches are empty, you may find it easier to insert the Helix with the pack positioned horizontally. I don't recollect ever laying the loaded backpack with the large Helix Logo "> <" facing downward.

Thanks for the basic directions... and I do understand these...   but when I'm transporting my gear, the Helix bag needs to lay flat. there is not room among all the PA gear to stand it upright or on it's edge.  So I have to lay it down flat.... it would make sense if the footswitches are up (and that's what I do - but my point is that it seems the backpack is built to use it differently.  

I just realized where I'm mistaken...  I went to get my backpack to take a photo of the interior... the "indentation" or "trough" is not designed the way I thought.  It's only there because of the way the shoulder straps are 'bulging' up the interior portion of the padding (they are raising the "floor" padding for about 80% leaving a small area that not "bulged up").  I have never pulled the straps out and they are apparently causing the interior padding to "puff up" for all but the lower 3" or so... that makes a small "trough" that looks like it should be for the pedal.   

My mistake... sorry for raising a false issue.   

@GenoBluzGuitar: Thanks for posting your follow up description about how the stored and bunched up shoulder straps are creating a high and low area between the backpack's rear padding and Helix storage area which created the appearance of a recessed pocket specifically to accomodate the foot treadle.

Removing all content from the backpack and flattening the shoulder straps when stowed should also allow for easier Helix loading and removal.