Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Kill Dry with Helix Looper?

Schneid777

I am very close to purchasing a Helix and I had a question about the looper. Is it possible to create a wet dry type of set up using a looper block on just one of the two outputs on the Helix?

What I mean is, when I create a loop, can I set it up in a way so that the Left Output will ONLY play the loops and the Right Output will ONLY play my Dry Guitar sound? I am to have a dedicated loop output that does NOT play back anything I am currently playing--just the loops.

Is this possible? I cannot see a way to do so in the manual.

Thanks!

I am very close to purchasing a Helix and I had a question about the looper. Is it possible to create a wet dry type of set up using a looper block on just one of the two outputs on the Helix?

What I mean is, when I create a loop, can I set it up in a way so that the Left Output will ONLY play the loops and the Right Output will ONLY play my Dry Guitar sound? I am to have a dedicated loop output that does NOT play back anything I am currently playing--just the loops.

Is this possible? I cannot see a way to do so in the manual.

Thanks!

Yes, you should be able to do this. You will have to get a little creative in your preset though, and you would have to do this per preset, not globally. You would put a split in after your final block in your preset  (most likely the cab/IR block), send one to output hard panned left, and the other to the looper and output hard panned right. 

Well the thing is the looper block will always out the dry signal coming into it, and there's no way to really control that on it's own. One thing you could do is put a Send block right before the looper block and use that 1/4" send as your "dry" output and then use the left 1/4" out as your wet output (this output would be the looper side). If you want to kill the "dry" guitar going to the looper block, you could tie the Dry Thru parameter in the Send block using an expression pedal and turn it down to the minimum when you want no dry thru going to the looper block.

Well the thing is the looper block will always out the dry signal coming into it, and there's no way to really control that on it's own. One thing you could do is put a Send block right before the looper block and use that 1/4" send as your "dry" output and then use the left 1/4" out as your wet output (this output would be the looper side). If you want to kill the "dry" guitar going to the looper block, you could tie the Dry Thru parameter in the Send block using an expression pedal and turn it down to the minimum when you want no dry thru going to the looper block.

What if you:

1. After your last block, have a/b split

2. Put the looper on the b split. 

3. Have each split go to a different output

4. Assign the expression pedal to control the mix of the split from 100% path A to 100% path B

You can then control, while in the looper, whether your signal is going through the looper (to record loops) or through the other non-loop path. 

What if you:

1. After your last block, have a/b split

2. Put the looper on the b split. 

3. Have each split go to a different output

4. Assign the expression pedal to control the mix of the split from 100% path A to 100% path B

You can then control, while in the looper, whether your signal is going through the looper (to record loops) or through the other non-loop path.

That essentially does the same thing as what I proposed with the Send block... It's just that using the Send block solution means you don't have to give up an entire path just for the looper block.

I think a “Kill Dry†option should be available on all hardware loopers. I’ve minimized it somewhat but the foldback from my Boss RC-20XL coming into Return 1 on my Helix causes some phase cancellation. Makes me nuts but as I said I’ve minimized it to some degree and have learned to live with it. Thank Buddha that the Helix sounds so good, it makes me forget... almost.