Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Clean Tones From 'dirty' Amp Models, Routing Paths And Output Types

dd78

Hi all,

Clean tones

I am looking to get a POD HD (probably the 500x) but want to know if the 'dirty' amp models can produce good clean tones.

What I mean is if I am plugged into a Mesa Dual Rec I can dial a clean tone without much difficulty. Likewise a 'plexi' style amp - and it happens to be a tone I'm quite fond of. HOWEVER a lot of modelling seems to have these types of amps tuned for gainier settings so you can't really use them for cleans without lots of careful level matching, or fairly ordinary sounds

Say with the Soldano - which channel does that model, or can you switch?

Routing

Next question, with the ability to lay out two amp paths, what are the routing possibilities? Every demo I've seen routes these to different outputs and either mixes them in an DAW or just uses it as a stereo configuration.

What I want to be able to do is to have two parallel paths and then mix them down to a mono output, preferably with the ability to adjust the mix levels between the two paths - e.g. 75% Blackface + 25% AC-30.

IDEALLY, I would love the ability to do this with an expression pedal - say starting off with 100% clean tone (e.g. from a Bassman) and then instead of stomping a button to instantly switch to a crunch tone (e.g. a JTM), I would use the exp pedal to do this instead.

I can do this with pedals and it gives an interesting dynamic texture to the transition.

Of course, with the ability to run any given chain in the parallel line, the possibilities don't stop there - blending effects in and out with a pedal is a very cool trick (see the FX Blender by Morley).

Output

What I want to be able to do is send my final output signal (whatever that is) to both a DAW and my amp. The HD300 and HD400 have the PERFECT setting for this, which is the output switch on the rear of the device, which allows you to set it to 'DUAL' mode. This send to different signals - one with cab/mike and one without - to the different outputs.

Looking at those two, the HD300 is more flexible as it allows you to do this with both the 1/4" unbalanced and XLR outputs - one 1/4 and one XLR for each signal. The HD400 is not as flexible, forcing you to use the XLR for the 'studio' output and the 1/4" for the amp out but the trade off is presumably the retention of stereo operation.

I can't see how to do this with the HD500 or HD500X - for my use am I really better off with the simpler, cheaper models? I have to assume this feature is still there as it's a really good idea and is EXACTLY what I want.

Thanks all,

D.

From my experience regarding clean tones on dirty amps, the JCM800 has some nice clean sounds, and soldano, witch are very bassy (great for jazz).The soldano on pod, have all 3 channels, clean-crunch-overdrive, while the mid gain amps (plexi, park, 45, have both channels also.)

Regarding routeing, you can set path A a, ac30 and B a soldano, set mix on center, and decrease the volume of the solo from the mixer, while you increase the AC.

This is not a pure mono signal, though.

Regarding transition, you can do the above, put a  panner on the pedal, and switch between amps with your foot easily and at the timing you need (fast, slow, up to you)

On your last question, I can not help you since I use only the usb.

BUT have in mind that dual paths are only for 500 from the pedalss.

Welcome! Well there is for a single amp patch, or if you use after the mixer a monophonic effect.

For the single amp patch you mute the (e.g.) B channel and put the A on center. Voila, became monophonic.

Or some effects (i think comressors are mono) set up after the mix and the amps, will become mono.