Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax in snapshots

dbraman

Just getting around to integrating my Standard fully into the Helix. I see that the guitar model can change with the preset, but doesn't seem to remember changes in Snapshots. Is that so? Am I missing something? That's an incredible limitation, if that be the case.

I’m not at my Helix right now, and I seem to be having a brain freeze!

I just wanted to reassure you that it’s definitely possible as I use one main patch with 4 snapshots for a full blues gig, and switch between Strat, Les Paul, Acoustic, and Resonator. I also have a footswitch assigned to alt tunings.

I’m sure someone will come along soon to give you details, but I’ll post later on when I’m back in the studio.

I’m not at my Helix right now, and I seem to be having a brain freeze!

I just wanted to reassure you that it’s definitely possible as I use one main patch with 4 snapshots for a full blues gig, and switch between Strat, Les Paul, Acoustic, and Resonator. I also have a footswitch assigned to alt tunings.

I’m sure someone will come along soon to give you details, but I’ll post later on when I’m back in the studio.

OK, I'll hang on to this firehose of a cable in the meantime.  ;)

You have have to treat the Variax model (and string pitches, if you want to control those per snapshot) like any other parameter you want to change with snapshots. They have to be tied to the snapshot controller. On the unit itself, just push and turn the knob under the parameter, and brackets will appear. You can now set specific values for each snapshot.

What Phil said. After setting the model in snapshot 1, do the same in snapshot 2 by pushing and turning the model selector, then save. Being able to change the model, volume, tone, and tuning between snapshots with one footswitch is a huge advantage, for those of us that can't chew gum and walk at the same time!  :lol: 

Yup, what Phil and SpaceRacer said ;-)

Also, once you've set the first snapshot (push in and turn the model selector), you can change your Variax model on the guitar itself and save the Snapshot you're in to keep the selection.  That can be good and bad: I've seen me sometimes change the Variax model knob, mess about a bit then save the snapshot, but forget to change the model back to what I wanted in the first place.

Great feature though.

One problem I had early on, was that I had to disconnect the VDI cable a reconnect while the unit was on. If I didn't, the model/tuning wasn't being updated by the Helix. Seems I don't have to bother now, so that may have been a quirk of my setup. Worth trying a quick disconnect/reconnect though if it's not updating.