Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Inevitable delay weirdness within snapshots?

Mikeyblial

Hey guys, I just purchased my helix and have been incredibly impressed with its capabilities so far. I will say, I haven't been able to dial in any tones that feel right with all the amp/cab simulations, but I'm totally happy with using this for all its other capabilities.

However...

I am pretty disappointed with the delay switching and the weird warpy-ness that happens when switching delay times within a preset using the snapshots. The only work around I've found so far is to switch to a snapshot where the delay is off, then to the one with the desired delay. I know you're bound to encounter some weirdness when you start messing with the delay time when the effect is engaged, but I was previously using a Boss DD-20 to toggle between one delay preset and the next with different speeds/feedbacks, and it was totally seamless. So easy. I'm not liking the idea of having to go back to the core setting on the helix in between delays.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. As of now, I just stuck my DD-20 in one of the helix's effects loop, and it sounds great. The only downside to that is I'm running the delay completely wet, and tweaking the mix/level parameters on the loop doesn't sound nearly as good adjusting the pedal's level knob. So, I will not have full programmability over over these parameters and will have to go back to manually adjusting and using tap tempo like the pre-Helix days, unless I can get this resolved :(

The warbles that you hear are normal in the sense that you would experience exactly the same thing if you were to suddenly adjust the delay time using a traditional analog pedal. Try using two separate instances of the same Delay FX in the preset using the two different delay time settings.  In one snapshot have one FX on and the other off, then switch their states in the other snapshot. That way you're not instantly changing the timing in a single delay 'pedal' - you are using two pedals and neither of them is actually changing their time setting - they're just being switched on/off inversely.