Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Yamaha DXR 10

davidjtsim76

The biggest one (you got a good FRFR that should last a long time) is to always tweak patches at Gig volume if possible. Otherwise Fletcher Munson will insure that your patches sound weird when you turn up.

Also, some tweaking has to be done with the band. It's just physics.

Rock safely!

Yup, everybody has said that! Was actually taken aback at how loud the thing gets! I guess to be more specific, if I set up patches and am happy with them, do you guys find they translate to FOH? My plan is to run mono to the DXR but stereo out to FOH via xlrs or is that a daft way of doing it?

Yup, everybody has said that! Was actually taken aback at how loud the thing gets! I guess to be more specific, if I set up patches and am happy with them, do you guys find they translate to FOH? My plan is to run mono to the DXR but stereo out to FOH via xlrs or is that a daft way of doing it?

FIrst, why Stereo? If you are the only guitarist in a power trio, stereo works well. If you have another guitarist or keyboardist or both, stereo will make your sound so "big" that the sound guy ends up turning it down so you don't get heard.

Mono is better in a LOT of situations. When I'm the only guitarist I run stereo if I can (and also if the room is good for stereo. Most aren't!) otherwise MONO is king. Often the sound system is mono anyway (or should be).

Now... here's what I do.

Run XLR L/Mono out to my on-stage monitor and control that volume with the big volume control on Helix.

Run 1/4" to a DI (or two, if Stereo) to the house. Why? Because the 1/4" sounds just as good through a good DI as the XLR does, and if you don't know the sound system or sound guy, he doesn't have to worry about level and impedance issues and it doesn't matter if phantom power is on.

Less for the sound guy to think about to make your connection work means more for the sound guy to think about to make your band sound boss.

• Upvote 1

All great stuff from @PeterHamm. The only things I might add is keep the DXR up off of the floor or, at the very least, set the DSP switch on the DXR to monitor, so you are not EQing for the boominess that you tend to get with speakers/monitors sitting on the floor. Also, playing at home with backing tracks or recordings will give you a sense of being in a band mix and can help you with your EQing. A high/low cut block after your amp/cab can help you carve out your space in the mix.

FIrst, why Stereo? If you are the only guitarist in a power trio, stereo works well. If you have another guitarist or keyboardist or both, stereo will make your sound so "big" that the sound guy ends up turning it down so you don't get heard.

Mono is better in a LOT of situations. When I'm the only guitarist I run stereo if I can (and also if the room is good for stereo. Most aren't!) otherwise MONO is king. Often the sound system is mono anyway (or should be).

Now... here's what I do.

Run XLR L/Mono out to my on-stage monitor and control that volume with the big volume control on Helix.

Run 1/4" to a DI (or two, if Stereo) to the house. Why? Because the 1/4" sounds just as good through a good DI as the XLR does, and if you don't know the sound system or sound guy, he doesn't have to worry about level and impedance issues and it doesn't matter if phantom power is on.

Less for the sound guy to think about to make your connection work means more for the sound guy to think about to make your band sound boss.

Is your DI output XLR? Which one do you use?