Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Amp levels not matching

30sos

Hey, all. I've noticed that I can't get the JCM-800 model as loud as some of the other similar models (Soldano, Criminal, etc.) I have identical patches with different amp, all of them with the amp volume cranked, and the JCM-800 is noticeably quieter. Is this by design or is there something wrong?

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same thing happening with my Spider V. The way I got around it was to adjust the volumes for all the amp models until they were pretty even in volume throughout. Not sure if the difference in volume is an oversight on Line 6 or not. Hope this helps.

In my experiences with modeling products from any manufacturer there are always variations in tone and volume levels among amp and cabinet models. Most of the time that depends more on what the modeled amp was based on. A 50W Marshall, 100W Soldano, 100W Plexi, 120W 5150 or Rectifier, 85W Twin, 40W Deluxe, etc. Expect variations in cabinet volumes as well. Not just in cabinet level, but also which mic was used and at what setting. Many brands of speakers have different bands of freq's extended more than others. That will have a volume and tonal effect. 

What I do since I don't like to change where I have the gains and levels of the Amp models is to use PEQ post amp to balance the patch levels. Most of the time, my clean amp models can be boosted to that of the higher gain models easily this way. Even if you use PEQ in the output you don't have to change the frequency you have selected. Just adjust the band gains evenly to compensate for volume variation.

In the Spider amps, it's good to use the PEQ for this. A volume block would have been nice to have, but you can do the same with PEQ freq band gains provided you tweak each evenly. Everyone will do things differently, but I follow many PEQ methods for leveling and for honing in the best sound from the amp models. Others may want to use just the amp model volume, but I prefer not to since it drastically can affect the dynamics of that amp model. Level changing post amp and cab works better. Even if you do not fine tune bands with Post EQ you can use that to boost or lower amp model volumes. This really helps when using high gain models. When having high gain models active, use less gain at higher amp stage volumes. The higher the gain the more it will feedback or sound thinner that it does when the amps master volume is set lower. Things change when you move more air. I like to use different preset BANKS to accommodate my live sound for gigging, and for presets I use to record, or presets I use for low volume playing.

• Like 1