Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to use Midi in to adjust gain [or other params]

boboTheGeek

Hi, 

I did some searching and didn't seem to find anything to help with the following...

Trying to use my Novation Impulse Midi Controller keyboard as a "convenient" way to adjust parameters like gain or volume.  

when I go into controller assign and configure the the CC that I have the keyboard dial set to, nothing happens.

when I open my DAW, I can see the messages are showing up properly.  I have tried switching between USB and MIDI cables.

I've also tried the "learn" function.  It seems like the MIDI messages aren't being recognized by the helix for some reason.   

Help would be greatly appreciated.   I'm sure there are some amazing things possible but I'm having difficulty just scratching the surface with Midi.

thanks, 

Rob

Do you have MIDI Over USB turned on under Global Settings>MIDI/Tempo on the Helix?

I don’t understand why that even has to be an option. What advantages are there to having Midi over USB turned off? It seems to me that the Helix should just ignore midi data that doesn’t pertain to it or is incorrect like note and velocity data. Wouldn’t it all be easier if Midi over USB is just on period?

I don’t understand why that even has to be an option. What advantages are there to having Midi over USB turned off? It seems to me that the Helix should just ignore midi data that doesn’t pertain to it or is incorrect like note and velocity data. Wouldn’t it all be easier if Midi over USB is just on period?

If you aren't actually wanting to use it for something specific, it's probably better to leave it off. The thing is that there's all sorts of stray MIDI messages flying around when you start interconnecting stuff to a DAW. If it's off, it's just one less thing to worry about troubleshooting.

If you aren't actually wanting to use it for something specific, it's probably better to leave it off. The thing is that there's all sorts of stray MIDI messages flying around when you start interconnecting stuff to a DAW. If it's off, it's just one less thing to worry about troubleshooting.

I've never had that issue.  Hmmm

A couple things to try:

• From your Novation controller, connect ONLY a 5-pin MIDI DIN cable from its MIDI OUT to Helix's MIDI IN. Do not connect a USB cable to either it or Helix. (Some keyboards automatically repurpose their MIDI ports as a computer interface when connected to a Mac or PC via USB)
  • Make sure the Novation is transmitting on Helix's MIDI base channel (Global Settings > MIDI/Tempo > Knob 1). The default is channel 1

I was attempting to use the 5 pin connector because I was assuming that there might be some trickery needed to "route" midi through the laptop.   However, I didn't disconnect the USB from Helix (mainly because I want to be able to use it plugged) I can try unplugging to troubleshoot.   To the best of my knowledge, I've had the base channel correct and set to 5 pin (usb off) but have also had USB connected there since it's USB powered.  

Has anyone had any success with being able to use an external controller to modify Helix params on the go????    I've done a few days worth of searching and haven't even really seen anyone doing that.   I have seen plenty of people controlling stuff like other pedals from the Helix.

Thanks!

It definitely throws a ton of time sig data if you leave that configured to do so.   If you're running a tight ship [DAW wise] you might not want all that clutter potentially getting in the way of your clean midi stuff.   

to take it even further..  it would also be cool to see if anyone has had success controlling stage lights with midi out.   I think that's a thing right?  perfect for a small band in a bar kind of thing