Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider V 60 - Getting distortion in every effect

Smoofness

I bought a Spider V 60 about 5 months ago. I’ve just started to notice that I’m getting significant distortion with every preset in the amp. This is incredibly frustrating when I just want a clean tone. I’ve tried a factory reset but it hasn’t cleaned it up. Any ideas?

Thanks

Bad cables, wireless battery going bad, blown speaker, undesirable effect settings, there are numerous causes for the symptom you describe.  It would help if you give us an example of one preset and what FX are active, and what your complete guitar to amp setup is.

I’m playing a Gibson Les Paul and have a FBV Shortboard MKII hooked up. I’ve tried with different cables with no difference. I’ve tried playing my guitar with another amp and the distortion is not present. I’ve basically gone through the pre-loaded effects and gotten distortion on each one (eg Silky Deluxe, Jazz Clean, Rock Clean, Blues Clean, which should all be distortion free)

I’ve tried multiple different amp types. I have turned off all distortion in the presets (though the clean presets come with no distortion included). I have tried reducing the “drive†to near zero while increasing volume. Nonetheless the distortion is present at all times. I would have thought if it was an issue with my settings, the multiple factory resets would have reset that to a true clean sound on those kind of presets.

I’ve tried multiple different amp types. I have turned off all distortion in the presets (though the clean presets come with no distortion included). I have tried reducing the “drive†to near zero while increasing volume. Nonetheless the distortion is present at all times. I would have thought if it was an issue with my settings, the multiple factory resets would have reset that to a true clean sound on those kind of presets.

It sounds like there is possibly something wrong with the amp. I'd recommend seeing if you can exchange it for a different one, or open a support ticket with Line 6. 

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

I do have an opposite problem, How can I get a distortion sound effect? and How come  the amp that I bought recently 09/25/2018 which is Spider V 240, some of the presets doesnt sound the same on couple videos I have watched on youtube and here. I am thingking my amp is broken? I called the retailer technician(sweetwater) and was told that maybe those videos were made old and now have already an updated firmware, and also you dont know what exactly they did or add when they play the electric guitar on those presets thats why it doesnt sound the same. Since when you change presets it changes sound,  I conclude that the amp is not broken. Please help, exmaple sound is citrus d etc. preset it sounds normal and no distortion on my amp same with arachnoid rhythm. note: I have updated my firmware correctly to the latest version 1.05 and tried factory reset on it. please help on what to do.

8 hours ago, GML372 said:

I do have an opposite problem, How can I get a distortion sound effect? and How come  the amp that I bought recently 09/25/2018 which is Spider V 240, some of the presets doesnt sound the same on couple videos I have watched on youtube and here. I am thingking my amp is broken? I called the retailer technician(sweetwater) and was told that maybe those videos were made old and now have already an updated firmware, and also you dont know what exactly they did or add when they play the electric guitar on those presets thats why it doesnt sound the same. Since when you change presets it changes sound,  I conclude that the amp is not broken. Please help, exmaple sound is citrus d etc. preset it sounds normal and no distortion on my amp same with arachnoid rhythm. note: I have updated my firmware correctly to the latest version 1.05 and tried factory reset on it. please help on what to do.

Which videos are you referring to? I do believe the presets have been tweaked since Spider V's initial launch. For purposes of a video, the presets will usually be tweaked to some degree to match the performer's playing style, guitar, etc. That being said, presets will sound slightly different for everyone as we all have our own playing style and tend to use different guitars.

There should definitely be some gain on tap for the Citrus D and Arachnid Rhythm presets. Are you just hearing a dry clean sound without any distortion or effects across all presets? I would also recommend a factory reset to start, hold the home button and then select factory reset; be sure to backup any user presets using the Spider V remote app.