Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Alternate settings for Para EQ in lieu of Cab/IR block

jroseberry

First, thanks to Chad Boston for the idea of using a Parametric EQ in place of a Cab/IR block.

An IR is essentially a static filter... so a Parametric EQ could shape the sound in a similar manner.

Chad's work inspired me to load up a Parametric EQ (started with his settings)... and tweak till I came up with this.

Give it a try... and let me know what you think.

Parametric EQ:

Low Freq = 130Hz

Low Q = 1.7

Low Gain = +6dB

Mid Freq = 1.9kHz

Mid Q = 0.7

Mid Gain = +5.5dB

High Freq = 3.4kHz

High Q = 8.8

High Gain = +4.4dB

Low Cut = 50Hz

High Cut = 5.0kHz

Level = -2.8dB

• Upvote 1

For those who enjoy tweaking everything as much as possible, I suppose this would be appealing... but as long as I can pick a cab model I like (or external IR) and apply the usual hi/low cuts that work for me, this is just a whole lot of extra knobulating, only to wind up at the exact same place. I'll pass.

• Upvote 1

FWIW, If you're even vaguely familiar with using parametric EQ, it's not particularly difficult.

You've got three bands of EQ and high/low pass filters.

11 total parameters

It would only take a minute or two to checkout the above settings. ;)

I didn't say it was difficult. Nothing is difficult when you know what you're doing...but some things are more time consuming than others, and I've got enough to tweak as it is. 9 more parameters to screw with beyond the high and low pass filters I'm currently using would have to yield results that are orders of magnitude better than what I've already got for it to be worth the bother...and I just don't see that happening. But that's just me...if it works and you like it, more power to you.

• Upvote 1

I didn't say it was difficult. Nothing is difficult when you know what you're doing...but some things are more time consuming than others, and I've got enough to tweak as it is. 9 more parameters to screw with beyond the high and low pass filters I'm currently using would have to yield results that are orders of magnitude better than what I've already got for it to be worth the bother...and I just don't see that happening. But that's just me...if it works and you like it, more power to you.

+1

Who uses one cab for everything?

Me.

Playing live in a band...it sounded too "weird" to have different cabs for presets. I found it felt more "natural" to me to just use one cab and set my tones accordingly between clean, crunch, and lead. :)

• Upvote 2

First, thanks to Chad Boston for the idea of using a Parametric EQ in place of a Cab/IR block.

An IR is essentially a static filter... so a Parametric EQ could shape the sound in a similar manner.

Chad's work inspired me to load up a Parametric EQ (started with his settings)... and tweak till I came up with this.

Parametric EQ:

Low Freq = 130Hz

Low Q = 1.7

Low Gain = +6dB

Mid Freq = 1.9kHz

Mid Q = 0.7

Mid Gain = +5.5dB

High Freq = 3.4kHz

High Q = 8.8

High Gain = +4.4dB

Low Cut = 50Hz

High Cut = 5.0kHz

Level = -2.8dB

Wow, checked that out yesterday. That's awesome ! Have hundreds of IR's from Ownhammer, Redwirez, Fremen, Sigma, Rosen ..... But that sounds fantastic !

Thanks

Markus

Wow, checked that out yesterday. That's awesome ! Have hundreds of IR's from Ownhammer, Redwirez, Fremen, Sigma, Rosen ..... But that sounds fantastic !

Thanks

Markus

Hi Markus,

Glad you like the EQ settings.

Before actually trying it, I didn't expect to like the results.

After playing/tweaking, I thought it sounded surprisingly good.

Me.

Playing live in a band...it sounded too "weird" to have different cabs for presets. I found it felt more "natural" to me to just use one cab and set my tones accordingly between clean, crunch, and lead. :)

I agree and do the same

Hi Markus,

Glad you like the EQ settings.

Before actually trying it, I didn't expect to like the results.

After playing/tweaking, I thought it sounded surprisingly good.

The more I play/tweak, the more I love this EQ-CabSim. It does everthing I missed with the IR's. Awesome !

For those who enjoy tweaking everything as much as possible, I suppose this would be appealing... but as long as I can pick a cab model I like (or external IR) and apply the usual hi/low cuts that work for me, this is just a whole lot of extra knobulating, only to wind up at the exact same place. I'll pass.

Dead on. Ole Chad needs to get out more. What a waste of guitar playing time.

Funny how when you are asked a question and reply to it, you are suddenly "complaining" lol. Thats one of the stranger things ive heard lately.

• Downvote 1

Parametric EQ:

Low Freq = 130Hz

Low Q = 1.7

Low Gain = +6dB

Mid Freq = 1.9kHz

Mid Q = 0.7

Mid Gain = +5.5dB

High Freq = 3.4kHz

High Q = 8.8

High Gain = +4.4dB

Low Cut = 50Hz

High Cut = 5.0kHz

Level = -2.8dB

Off for the next few weeks spending family time.  Very blessed to have all the music jobs but sometimes it can grate on my family's desire to see one other (what a novel concept).

But to the point, when i have time I am going tro try this and thanks for the 411.  I am expecting this to use a little less processing with the hopes I may be able to squeeze one more block into my paths (just to see).  Can anyone verify this is a benefit as well?

Thanks again

Dennis

This is great to use to audition amps.   Rather than have all the variables associated with how each cab was modeled, what mic etc...  this eliminates all that with a decent sound... so you can scroll through the amps and essentially just hear the differences between the amps.

• Upvote 1

This is great to use to audition amps.   Rather than have all the variables associated with how each cab was modeled, what mic etc...  this eliminates all that with a decent sound... so you can scroll through the amps and essentially just hear the differences between the amps.

I like this concept.  I suppose you could pick a single cab model or IR and do the same, but many times I get a cab or IR and there is some very minor or small thing that I want to be different, i.e. a little more mid, a little less high end, etc...   and the tweaks in the cab model don't quite find the sweet spot.  This seems to be more tweakable to me to fine tune.  Also I always use a Para EQ block in my patches anyway (it seems to smooth out the overall tone), so this is would definitely eliminate a DSP hogging block and enable more room for other effects in my block-heavy presets.  

I don't anticipate this will become my "norm" for building presets, but it's another tool to use when trying get an amp/cab to a sweet spot that just isn't there with the cab blocks or IRs.

GenoBluzGtr, on 13 Nov 2017 - 02:58 AM, said:

I like this concept.  I suppose you could pick a single cab model or IR and do the same, but many times I get a cab or IR and there is some very minor or small thing that I want to be different, i.e. a little more mid, a little less high end, etc...   and the tweaks in the cab model don't quite find the sweet spot.  This seems to be more tweakable to me to fine tune.  Also I always use a Para EQ block in my patches anyway (it seems to smooth out the overall tone), so this is would definitely eliminate a DSP hogging block and enable more room for other effects in my block-heavy presets.  

I don't anticipate this will become my "norm" for building presets, but it's another tool to use when trying get an amp/cab to a sweet spot that just isn't there with the cab blocks or IRs.

This difference between a CAB/IR and using this (or simliar) EQ setting is that the CAB/IR is designed to provide a signal of a particular cabinet/speaker with a microphone on it for recording or sending to a full range PA. This EQ simply is sending a signal to make a Full Range speaker act more like a Guitar speaker. Big difference.

To take this a little deeper, when I mic a speaker, I use the best mic or combination of mics and placement to get the best sound from that speaker and amp combination. Simply changing the amp (in the real world) often changes the type of mic and placement on the same cabinet. Don't know why, I'm sure there is science to it, but I have had guys with one cab... switch to another head... and I had to make minor adjustments. Which brings me to cabs in general. They all "color" the amp signal. That's a good thing for the most part, but not every amp sounds great through the same cabinet, for whatever reason.

WIth this EQ.. it's a pleasant baseline based on your speakers. Some people really like it, some don't, but no matter it can be a baseline for comparing one amp to another. I have run across several amps that I didn't give the time of day because I didn't line them up with the right cab when I listened to them. They sounded great with this EQ setting. That's not to say I can't find an IR or Cab that may be more appropriate, I don't know... but at least now I'll look as before they I didn't even imagine them having a sound worth looking into.

When combined with a Variax, this EQ takes on a whole new level of cool. That Les Paul models sound like Les Pauls, the Strats, sound like Strats, the Tele's sound like teles and even the more odd things like Banjo and uke all sound so much better via this eq setting than ANY cab or IR I have found. By this I mean that I can get a great Strat tone with a twin or jc120 with the right tweaks, but then when I switch to something else, I have to find a new amp and cab or make more tweaks. I can switch between ANY of the Variax models and they sound good via this EQ setting.

Certainly not for everyone, but I'm like'n it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I’m still lovin‘ the EQ-CabSim, but I wonder how can I even get closer to my real Cab Sound.
Through the cab it still sounds a bit richer, fuller, smoother and warmer than through the CabSim into my PA.
Any ideas to improve the EQ-CabSim, that it sounds less digital ( if that makes sense ).

Btw, I’m using a Mesa TC 50 ( 80% High Gain ) and a Port City 212V with 2 WGS Invader loaded.
Helix is just for effects and Cab Sim.

Thanks

Markus

I'm trying to replace Cabs or IRs with EQs for a while but this setting sounds really good - thanks for sharing! :wub:

I prefer it to get a "amp in the room" sound with my frfr monitor. It's really "in the face" and most stock cabs seem to be distand in a direct comparison. Still can't say if it works as good in recording or PA.

As it's often difficult to me to imagine a frequency response with all theese different Qs ans crosss-influences and assuming that the parametric EQ has the same behaviour as the global EQ, i tried to visualize what's really going on with the global EQ and the same settings.

post-11061-0-02975800-1512219024_thumb.jpg

Perhaps the image helps others to understand what''s giong on like it did for myself.