Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Help me decide how to use my second expression pedal

Thurston9

Mission expression pedal is incoming!  Thanks to this board I took advantage of the $69.99 Line 6 deal and the order shipped yesterday.

Now that I know the Mission footswitch will be useless for a floor helix unit, I'm trying to decide how I can best use it.  My typical setup uses the onboard exp pedal for wah (engaged when I press the toe button) or whammy (engages with one of the regular footswitches).  

How do you all use your second exp pedals and what should I try out with mine?

I'm not sure how the Mission toe-switch is configured, but if it has (or will accept) a standard 3PDT switch and has a dedicated jack (and you're handy with a soldering iron), you can use both Helix external expression pedal jacks to rig up a single external expression pedal with a functional toe switch. See here:

http://line6.com/support/topic/26725-toe-switching-with-an-external-exp-pedal/

I don't use mine that way anymore, but it is handy if you're just running one external expression pedal. These days I have two external expression pedals hooked up. They are both set up with the auto-on bypass function; the first controls rate on a Vibe in all patches, the second one is rate on either a tremolo or vibrato depending on the patch.

For me the main thing I use it for in most patches is a Volume pedal. Volume pedals don't have footswitches. jbuhajla's recommendation would be another way I would predominantly use it.

I like the on board one for pedal effects that would have a switch like a wah. I wish I had known about the footswitch hack for the pedal with the footswitch. If the price cut is still there in a few months, I may get one.

I have two external pedals so one is Exp2 and always volume, the other is Exp 3 and usually does mix for various effects or signal paths.  Exp 1 usually does drive or gain on amps or distortion or wah (which I very seldom use).

3 expression pedals.  2 is always Volume pedal, usually after the amp and I use my knob fro before the amp.

3 is usually either mix and/or feedback on delays, but sometimes other things

1 is often wah if I have one, which isn't often, otherwise I often set it up to control mix and decay on reverbs.

Or I might use it to control drive on an amp or dirt pedal

Or I might use it for depth of tremelo

Or lots of other things.  And I'm only just getting into using multiple expression pedals.

• Upvote 1