Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can we please, please, please have a "Save As" option in the next Editor update?

Charvel2

I mean, seriously. I've tweaked a tone in the editor for use on a recording. It's only a few steps removed from one of my presets, a bit more gain, an additional echo, and I wanted to save it for future reference. But I can't. I can only overwrite the original, which I want to keep untouched. This seems such an egregious oversight. I really hope it gets fixed in the next update. 

I mean, seriously. I've tweaked a tone in the editor for use on a recording. It's only a few steps removed from one of my presets, a bit more gain, an additional echo, and I wanted to save it for future reference. But I can't. I can only overwrite the original, which I want to keep untouched. This seems such an egregious oversight. I really hope it gets fixed in the next update.

Not an oversight, more a misunderstanding. If you care to check the Helix owner’s manual, you will find on page 16 the information relating to Saving/Naming a preset. This is the same technique as described by “Joepeggio†in post #3 above.

The tip from “specracer986†is a good one too - always work on a copy.

There is also a Helix restore option should you inadvertently overwrite a factory preset. I suggest you also check this entry in the Line6 Knowledge Base.

http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/effects-controllers/helix/helix-reset-procedures-and-troubleshooting-tricks-r768

Seek and ye shall find - hope this helps.

EDIT: I have just revisited this post and it seems even more odd than I previously thought.

I guess the term “editor†must be a reference to the software version rather than the physical hardware.

I would imagine that when first using the software editor, that you made a backup of the content on the Helix unit.

Yes! Good! That means you can save the edit with a new name and then revert to your original fail safe copy on your computer.

No! Oops! Repeat - always work on a copy!

In the editor, if you find yourself in this position, simply switch to the actual unit, press the save button, change the destination. Done.

But... that functionality in the editor would be sweet. Who knows. They are re-vamping the editor very soon they say. This update? I can't remember, I think they said that the editor was changing a lot in this next update.

In the editor, if you find yourself in this position, simply switch to the actual unit, press the save button, change the destination. Done.

But... that functionality in the editor would be sweet. Who knows. They are re-vamping the editor very soon they say. This update? I can't remember, I think they said that the editor was changing a lot in this next update.

This is the way I do it, although it seems silly that there is no way to do it in the editor

Oh, I'm well aware I can do it on the hardware. I have read the manual. It just seems odd - and the very definition of an oversight - for the editor not to behave in the way that's expected of every other piece of desktop software.

As it happens, I've found a better option that was kind of staring me in the face. Because these are tweaked versions of my existing presets, I don't necessarily want to save them back to the hardware and clutter up the setlists with tones that were for one-off takes. I can actually right click and export to an .hlx file instead, meaning I've got the tone stored if I ever need to revisit the recording, but I don't have to use up hardware preset slots.

From DI's posts, here and elsewhere, the forthcoming new Helix editor program bears the new name: "HX Edit." HX Edit is slated for simultaneous release with firmware 2.30 soon.

From my understanding of DI's posts, Helix's firmware technology engine is now also being referred to with the new name: "Helix Core."

Once these terms become more broadly used in Helix related posts, they will help reduce ambiguities.

• Upvote 1

So I was going to pile on the "this is an oversite" thing...  but having been a programmer and designer for over 30 years I went into the other room and looked at the Helix Editor and now see how making the editor act like the hardware when it comes to saving would be a bit awkward and confusing.

My first thought was... well just use "Save As"... under the "File" menu...  Well there's a whole can of worms right there.   We're not saving a file, were sending data, but we "could" mean to be saving a file if we want to back up our current work or move it to another device etc..   

So rather than having a "Save As" be the oversight, I think the terminology is the error.  We "Send" to the Helix, we "Save" to hard drives.... but now...  there is the Helix plug-in for DAW's.  In this case Save would be to a hard drive and send...  could be to a device I guess... 

The bottom line is that Line6 wasn't thinking "File Management" with the Helix.  This is evident in the way IR's are handled.   In the "Current" GUI, the only clear way to implement this "save as" function would be to offer...  "Send" "Send As" "Save" "Save As"   At least these titles if not understood would not be misleading. 

Send = Send to Device

Send As = Send to Device and prompts to find to new location

Save = Save to Disk

Save As = Save to a Disk location.

This little woulda-coulda-shoulda scenario would have been great if the USB drive could be used as a backup device...  then the functionality would be the same across all platforms hardware and software.  

With the new software and firmware on the Horizon, I think we should probably just hold our thoughts.... as what happened when 2.0 came out pretty much negating a half dozen ideas on how presets should work as Snapshots made those issues just go away...  I have confidence that this new HX version, is going to have the same affect.   

I've been pretty impressed with what Line6 has come up with, to the point when I see something I don't like, I just figure they're going to fix it eventually.  

Save As->

New Name: text input

Select Slot: dropdown

[save_button]

then they could write to Helix the selected slot.

maybe switching to it

Preserving the previous preset

this works for both hardware and native the same way.

Edit:

Maybe 'Save To' instead of 'Save As'

Helix's firmware technology engine is now also being referred to with the new name: "Helix Core."

Oh god....another "core" software thing.

In IT and I hear this constantly, feels more like it's a trend now to identify everything as core.

...nothing is core when everything is core.

I did however experience this exact thing yesterday. Tweaked a template then wanted to save it to my intended destination. Can't do that via Save in the editor. I can however click copy on the template then change to my intended slot and paste it. It will ask to overwrite.

So that's a workaround but it would be more natural to have a 'Save To' and then select a slot, OK.

I bought the Helix as a stand alone device, and use Line 6's Helix software solely for the necessity of updating firmware.

Once the overhauled HX Edit appears and Line 6 then overhauls the remaining suite of Helix software (Firmware Installation, Updater, Presets Backup & Restore, and IR Management) such that overall Helix housekeeping is brought to a modern level of operational functionality (including screen scaling for large hi res and 4k monitors), I'll reconsider using Helix with a computer. Until then, it's a stand alone device for me.

I bought the Helix as a stand alone device, and use Line 6's Helix software solely for the necessity of updating firmware.

Once the overhauled HX Edit appears and Line 6 then overhauls the remaining suite of Helix software (Firmware Installation, Updater, Presets Backup & Restore, and IR Management) such that overall Helix housekeeping is brought to a modern level of operational functionality (including screen scaling for large hi res and 4k monitors), I'll reconsider using Helix with a computer. Until then, it's a stand alone device for me.

I too mostly use it as stand alone but sometimes it's just nice to connect the laptop which is at desk level and the helix is on the floor. There are things you can do for tweaking your sound in the editor much more efficiently than on the helix itself.

Plus the joystick on the helix just feels like it's going to wear out sooner than later to me.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...