Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Cost of Repair?

Hey guys, I know of a JTV-59 for sale at my local Guitar Center. It has been there a long time and won't sell because the modeling feature is broken. I have already tried pulling up on the knob and this is NOT the problem. It must be a lemon. Should a warranty cover the fix? If not, what would it cost to have it fixed?

The typical problem with the modeling knob is that when it's pushed down to engage it. the knob doesn't fully depress far enough. Pulling up on the knob isn't going to fix anything that I know of.

There's probably a good chance that the problem is the old early style knob. A new knob or sticking a little piece of cardboard in the knob before putting it back on should fix this problem.

If it's a new Variax, then there should be a warranty in effect in case it's something else.

Just want to be clear on something, no offense intended.... Are you (OP) already a JTV owner, and know what to expect with how these act?

GC's or nearly any music store may not have a battery in the unit, or if so, probably not a battery with a usable charge in it. When the battery is uncharged or not installed, the JTV's fall back into a mode of mag pickups only via the 1/4" jack. Most music stores don't have or offer the VDI cable plus have a Helix or other VDI capable L6 pedal for trying out the guitar. IF they have the USB interface and short VDI for it (not recommended for live use), but do-able to check it out with the right L6 gear.

Most GC's and other music stores don't have folks on hand that know their way around the JTV's enough to trouble shoot them, or even know how to turn them on. The longer they have the unit on hand, the more likely they are of losing the stuff that is supposed to be with it (gig bag, hex allen tools, charger and battery, and the VDI/USB interface and short VDI cord). If those are missing, and you cannot check whether the guitar in fact functions, either back away or negotiate a lower price, so you can get the stuff that's missing elsewhere and possibly have the unit repaired to become working. 

Or, if you tried it with a VDI cable to a VDI-capable device (Helix, HD500(X)), etc., that would power the JTV, then it is probably an issue for repair or exchange...

My local GC has only had a JTV in stock a couple times that I remember, and it was a few years ago. It's seen as a niche market to them, while they sell tons of cheaper guitars and more "mainstream" guitars - so the JTV is not a high priority in their view. I bought my Epiphone Les Paul Classic (good guitar) there, and my Fender Elite Telecaster, but my 2 JTV's, I purchased at Sweetwater....

Dave

@ banjogil,...

Check with Line 6 support on warranty aspects.

If it's something simple, any Line 6 authorized guitar service center can deal with it.

If it's something more involved, it can come to me and I'll deal with it, as I'm the guitar

repair guy at Line 6.