Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Floor Templates for Logic Pro X, MainStage, and GarageBand

VirtualGuitars

Hello,

I recently purchased a Helix Floor and Helix Native license and am just getting started with using them with my MacBook Pro.  Although they are both overkill for my playing/recording needs, I was originally in the market for some high-end effects pedals an Apogee GiO guitar interface, so buying a Helix Floor seemed like a better move so I can take advantage of all of the effects in one portable unit (not to mention all of the other features).

The Apogee GiO is an older floor-based guitar USB interface for Mac that has programmable effects stomp buttons along with transport control buttons.  It's a plug-n-play device for Macs using Logic Pro X, MainStage, and GarageBand.  I ultimately chose the Helix Floor and Helix Native so I could do all of that plus take it with me for use with my Marshall combo amp.  I have played around with the Helix Floor and the Helix Native plug-in and I love the common interface and ease-of-use.

I have watched several YouTube videos on how to create your own macro buttons so I can use the Helix Floor to Record/Stop/Play, etc.;however, most of what I have seen are running older versions of the software, so the menus are somewhat different.  My hope is that someone has built a template that I can use similar to what Apogee offers for their GiO product (they offer pre-built, downloadable templates).  I understand how the Helix Native plug-in works with the Apple Pro Audio apps; but I need some help setting my my Helix Floor for basic, home recording use.

• MacBook Pro running High Sierra (10.13.2 Developer Beta)
  • LogicPro X (10.3.2)
  • MainStage 3 (3.3.2)
  • GarageBand (10.2.0)

My needs are very basic as I am just playing around at home.  I am running the latest builds of the audio apps and appreciate any advice or feedback you can provide.  Thank you so much!

David

Logic and MainStage can map MIDI CCs to all sorts of functions via the Key Command menu, but there are almost 10,000 commands (!!!), so any attempt to map Helix's 10 stomp switches to a comprehensive set (beyond the requisite MCC commands, for which there is a template—8 TEMPLATES > DAW Remote) would be futile.

That said, we have plans to add more robust DAW control complete with DAW-specific templates sometime next year.

Logic and MainStage can map MIDI CCs to all sorts of functions via the Key Command menu, but there are almost 10,000 commands (!!!), so any attempt to map Helix's 10 stomp switches to a comprehensive set (beyond the requisite MCC commands, for which there is a template—8 TEMPLATES > DAW Remote) would be futile.

That said, we have plans to add more robust DAW control complete with DAW-specific templates sometime next year.

Thank you so much for the prompt response.  I sincerely appreciate it.

• 2 months later...

Is there any chance that future Native updates could retain exp mapping from hardware bundles? If I could set three sliders on my Mainstage screen to stand in for the three exp inputs, that would be a huge time saver. Some of my patches have 4-6 parameters mapped to exp1, and I haven't yet figured out the best way to tackle that issue.  

• 1 year later...

I am a new MainStage 3 user. I found this thread posted Nov 14, 2017. I think it's been more than a year, and I would love to see the templates so that I can gain an understanding on how it's done. Does anyone know where they would be posted?

18 hours ago, phreak68 said:

I am a new MainStage 3 user. I found this thread posted Nov 14, 2017. I think it's been more than a year, and I would love to see the templates so that I can gain an understanding on how it's done. Does anyone know where they would be posted?

There are no pre-made templates for specific applications, but your Helix has some basic functionality in the TEMPLATES setlist with a preset with DAW in the name (my Helix is on turned on at the moment).  I was able to use some of those settings to setup some stompbuttons to work with Logic Pro X to do REC, STOP, PLAY, etc.  Hope this helps you.

• 2 years later...
On 11/14/2017 at 1:05 PM, Digital_Igloo said:

Still. A basic template with a layout of the front panel knobs, foot switches, and expression pedal would be nice. They don't need to have dedicated concert level assignment. I can go to assigning them from there. Was looking for something so I didn't have to create a layout from scratch.