Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Drum Bus Crush Preset

Are you by any chance trying to assign this preset to an input that uses one of the direct inputs 13 through 16? I was surprised recently to discover that the presets available are defined by the physical input. Inputs 13 through 16 are designed for direct inputs, and consequently (if I remember correctly) the presets displayed for selection in the Artists section exclude presets designed for mic inputs..... or something like that. I remember being confused and I never really took the time to figure it out. But when I switched focus to one of the physical inputs 1 through 12 the full list of presets was again visible. Again, this is just from memory - don't take it as fact but experiment a bit on the concept.

As I recall it was a L/R line input with a picture of a drum kit. Since then I have been trying to find it by tweaking an existing 1 - 12 input. I am playing a show tonight and I will try one of the line inputs instead as that makes more sense. Thanks

This preset is a bit of a special case. It is intended for stereo drum sums (sub mixes.) When mixing this compressed submix with the uncompressed submix you can get a dense drumsound while maintaining some natural dynamics. This preset and the setup is admittedly a bit complicated.

• Upvote 1

This preset is a bit of a special case. It is intended for stereo drum sums (sub mixes.) When mixing this compressed submix with the uncompressed submix you can get a dense drumsound while maintaining some natural dynamics. This preset and the setup is admittedly a bit complicated.

How to use that? 

Get the drums in a stereo monitor send and put them back on channels 13-14 with that preset?

This would be a very similar to the well known parallel drum compression widely used in studios...

If it works it must sound nice and punchy. But it would take a lot of the boards connectivity... Two monitor sends and to line-ins extra just for the drums...

I have 2 open Monitor sends as well as 13, 14, and 15 inputs open.  Would I be able to do this with just the Stagescape or would I need another mixer?  I apologize in advance for coming off as a nube but I don't have much experience with mixing drums.

Here Is how I would assume this is done.  I currently mic the Kick, Top Snare, Bottom Snare, 2 Overheads.

1. Set up a stereo monitor for C and D.

2. Send each drum mic to this stereo monitor.

3. Plug a XLR Jack to 1/4 IN Plug from C to input 13

3. Plug a XLR Jack to 1/4 IN Plug from D to input 14

4. Assign Drum Bus Crush preset to inputs 13 and 14

5. Send both the original mic inputs and inputs 13 and 14 to the Main outputs.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I have 2 open Monitor sends as well as 13, 14, and 15 inputs open.  Would I be able to do this with just the Stagescape or would I need another mixer?  I apologize in advance for coming off as a nube but I don't have much experience with mixing drums.

Here Is how I would assume this is done.  I currently mic the Kick, Top Snare, Bottom Snare, 2 Overheads.

1. Set up a stereo monitor for C and D.

2. Send each drum mic to this stereo monitor.

3. Plug a XLR Jack to 1/4 IN Plug from C to input 13

3. Plug a XLR Jack to 1/4 IN Plug from D to input 14

4. Assign Drum Bus Crush preset to inputs 13 and 14

5. Send both the original mic inputs and inputs 13 and 14 to the Main outputs.

Yes. I never tried that. But it should work that way. 

Leave the monitor mode in "unlinked" (equivalent to pre-fader). so you can mix the compressed buss differently from the main drum channel. 

Maybe not so much cymbals on the compressor? ;)

Than raise the "normal" drums near the desired level of performance and start to bring the compressed drum buss up slowly.

Be careful. Don't overdue it with the compressed bus.

The drums should start to sound really full and punchy, but they will take a lot of space in the mix.

And there's always the risk of ruining dynamics.

Also consider that heavily compressed mics on stage will feedback super easily.

This technique is very well known in studio mixing.

Some people call it "The fat fader" 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwdbUUac8uw

• Upvote 1