Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Running Vocals Through Helix Mic Pre Into Firehawk 1500 & PA

FNFM94

Hi all!

I am sort of new to the Firehawk 1500 & using it with my Helix floor unit & need some help setting it all up to process vocals through it as well as the PA..

I have actually managed to get the vocals going through my Firehawk amp & the PA but seem to be getting a lot of feedback when doing so! I have the mic going into the helix mic pre & running the helix outs into the monitor ins on the back of the amp & then running the Firehawk outs into my Behringer UFX1604 mixer/PA. I am using the amp in stereo wide setting as a FRFR Wet/Dry/Wet setup for the guitar which sounds great but just struggling to cancel out feedback I'm getting from the mic..

I have been working on the mic gain setting in global settings in Helix but haven't managed to find the right balance between the mic & guitar levels. I have just purchased a TC Helicon Voicelive Play Electric which I want to incorporate with the helix when it arrives & have seen this cool video of how to link a TC Helicon pedal to the Helix & still be able to use the Helix mic pre but be able to access the vocal harmonies from the TC & it will still detect what key you're playing in. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MZC5QZocKLQ

I will only be using the VLPE pedal for vocals effects/harmonies NOT guitar.

So is there anyone out there who can help me set this up properly so I'm not getting horrific hissing feedback? I would be so grateful for your help/advice & suggestions!

Kind regards

Kyle

I would run the vocals in a separate path in Helix with dedicated helix outputs for vocals going to the board. It is not necessary to send the vocals through the Firehawk. That way you can control that channel independently and have independent effects on vocals. 

Feedback isn't a function of the equipment, it's a function of the PLACEMENT of equipment.  Assuming you have the Firehawk positioned behind you in a normal fashion that would account for your feedback.  There's a reason vocal wedges are placed in front of singers and it's because of the way mic's take in sound.  In your setup you have your vocal monitor effectively positioned behind you so it's feeding into the most sensitive area of the mic....therefore feedback.

I agree with jbuhajla.  You don't need the vocals going through the Firehawk.  If you want the vocals to go through the Helix just route them separately to the board.  If you need a vocal monitor you should have a separate monitor channel from the board that should be routed to a monitor positioned in FRONT of you and facing you which will direct it at the least sensitive area of the mic.

Great! Thanks guys! I did think it could be that the Firehawk is behind me & therefore feeding back. My next question is how do I route my Vocals to only the mixer if my helix outs are plugged into my Firehawk monitor ins & then the Firehawk outs into the mixer is there a way to stop the vocals going through the amp in this set up or will I have to set it up different so the vocals are only going through the pa? Thanks again guys for all your help!

Kyle

I run my mic uot of the Helix to the board through XLR.

I rout to the Firehawk via 1/4" to the guitar in (using an empty patch in the Firehawk).

I then go from the XLR out from the Firehawk to the table.

Last gig I experimented with using the Firehawk as my monitor by putting it in front of me using the stand.

THis worked fantastically! I had great sound from the Firehawk and in the hall they had great sound from the table.

In this case you could probably also have your mic going through the Firehawk but I don't see any reason to.

I would rather keep the monitor in free for when there aren't enough monitors in a venue, then I can use the Firehawk as a monitor for the whole band, including my mic.

I take it you can still run a wet/dry/wet rig with doing that as long as you set it up right in helix? I have just received my TC Helicon VLPE & have incorporated it in with the helix which works great! Thanks again for everyone's help!

Kyle