Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Line 6 2204 Mod to get an Orange/Laney sound

BikingVikingIN

I know people want to get an Orange Rockerverb sound and I'm sure that will be in an update sooner or later. That being said, has anyone used the Line 6 2204 Mod to get a tone relatively close? I own a Laney VH100R amp head and it always got close to the Rockerverb sound by just turning down the presence control. It's a British amp that focuses on the lower mids instead of the upper mids like a Marshall. Selecting the mid frequency to about 500hz-800hz should get you there. Anyone else try this?

Have you tried the Mandarin 80 model, based on the Orange OR80, in the Helix? That seems like a more natural starting point to me. It seems to me that all those Orange amps are voiced to focus on the lower mids like you say. The Mandarin 80 is pretty versatile, too, since it has the Shape parameter.

Funny to stumble upon this topic as I just gave up trying to get a good cleanish sound out of the Mandarin and the Mandarin cab. But in stead of sounding big and ballsy with a nice ring, it sounds dull and lifeless and it lacks the chunk when you stike a chord hard. Not at all how I remember the Orange sound (I'm quite familiar with an AD-30).

Anyone having more luck with this model? Should I try different cabs? I usually experiment a lot, but it's weird I can't get the 'right' sound with just the Mandarin amp/cab combo.

Have you tried the Mandarin 80 model, based on the Orange OR80, in the Helix? That seems like a more natural starting point to me. It seems to me that all those Orange amps are voiced to focus on the lower mids like you say. The Mandarin 80 is pretty versatile, too, since it has the Shape parameter.

I did. I felt the JCM800 mod was closer to the specs rather than boosting the Mandarin with the Minotaur or Compulsive Drive.

I loved the Orange AD-30, but I don't like the Mandarin 80 at all. I agree that it's kind of lifeless, if it makes sense.

But no problem, Helix has so many good amp models that at the end I don't need anything else... not to mention that the new fw 2.3 has just added something else to try!

I can't tell you if the following models are very similar, but I love and I'm using a lot the Soldano Solo Crunch (lot of master gain, very low highs, low lows, low sag, low preamp gain) and the Litigator (with a lot of gain). And in case I add some Minotaur or Timmy OD (but mainly at home, live & loud I mostly don't need them).