Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

perfect update

lawrence_Arps

Almost perfect for my update - way easier than all prior updates.

My set up is: iMac OS, High Sierra 10.13.1

Here's how the steps below actually worked for me:

2. Connect Helix to your computer and launch HX Edit. From the File pull-down menu, select “Create Backup…†Follow the prompts to create a full-state backup of your Helix (Global Settings, IRs, setlists, and presets). Worked FIne.

3. Close HX Edit, open Line 6 Updater, and follow the prompts to update your Helix's firmware. Worked Fine Helix will begin rebuilding presets. Wait for this process to complete. Waited @ 15 minuted but this never happened, just blank screen and scribble strips. At this point I had to shut down the Helix and restart. On restart it rebuilt the presets.

4. Close Line 6 Updater, reopen HX Edit, and from the File pull-down menu, select “Restore From Backup…†Follow the prompts to restore Helix to its previous state. For some reason my Helix was already restored - but I did it again anyway just to be sure.

5. Remove the old Helix application from your computer. It won't work with 2.30 firmware anyway. Complied :)

4. Close Line 6 Updater, reopen HX Edit, and from the File pull-down menu, select “Restore From Backup…†Follow the prompts to restore Helix to its previous state. For some reason my Helix was already restored - but I did it again anyway just to be sure.

Did you skip the "reset" procedure. holding down buttons or foot switches (depending on rack or LT/FLoor) and then loading new factory presets?

Did you skip the "reset" procedure. holding down buttons or foot switches (depending on rack or LT/FLoor) and then loading new factory presets?

That isn't a step in the 2.20 or above update procedure (steps in green font)

http://line6.com/support/topic/18284-latest-helix-firmware-230—nov-21-2017/

I didn't see this as a requirement as it was for past updates. I actually didn't even do the initial backup as I didn't see the forum post until after the fact . So far everything seems to working fine.

As others mentioned, that's how we used to do it, but the new Updater supposedly doesn't require this step. So, YES, I skipped it based on following the new procedure.

At STEP 3, I don't think that the Helix Updater ever deleted my global settings, IRs or presets? After I had to manually reboot it out of a frozen state, Helix just rebuilt the factory presets to 2.30. However, everything seemed to work fine.

After some thought, to be safe I did go back and perform the 2 basic resets (FS 8+9, followed with FS 9+10), which gave me a factory clean 2.30 machine (verified). Using the new editor I restored my backup again, which worked fine.

Successfully updated! I didn't have to follow step 4 either, I backed up my presets and IRs with the editor, did the update and  when I closed the updater and reopened HX editor, my stuff all magically appeared! I tested it out because it seemed too good to be true, but everything's intact. Of course I had to get my globals back to where they were, but that was it! I don't understand, but I'm not about to look a gift horse in the mouth.

Just had a little time to browse with headphones. Trainwreck sounded pretty great with just 1 minute of tweaking and I dig the new Space Echo delay! Looking forward to digging deeper.

Thank you Line 6!  

Bravo on the new update procedure!!!

Everything went great with the exception of two minor glitches:

on the instruction with the link for Windows:  

Windows 7/8/10: https://line6.com/software/readeula.html?rid=7877

It took me to a login page that failed over and over with the following message

We're sorry.

We encountered an error processing your request.

I ended up simply going to the Product update page and selecting HX Edit for Windows 10 from the dropdown menu to download the HX Edit application.  Everything went as expected through the backup, FW install, and restore process.  The only unexpected results was my mode got changed from 8 stomps to 4 stomps and 4 snaps.  I guess I expected that state to be restored or maintained, but no big deal.  Just a little bit of an unexpected surprise.

But overall what a pleasant birthday present for me and a HUGE improvement over the previous process!!!

Fantastic update! The whole process was a breeze - no issues whatsoever.

I actually followed Chad Boston's live feed on Facebook for step by step instructions - Thanks Chad!

Very impressed with the addition of the EP booster and SP compressor as I used these pedals on my actual hardware pedalboard and they had become such an integral part of my tone.

So thank you Line 6, one very happy camper from the land downunder.

So after a nice long Holiday with family, I'm back to the Helix 2.30 and I discover the unit version 2.30 factory presets we're overwritten by my backup - all of which is covered in this thread:

http://line6.com/support/topic/30531-cautions-about-230s-new-full-backup-feature/

So I won't go over any of it again. Just putting it here because there's several threads regarding 2.30 now.