Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

3sigma electric impulses- anyone tried them?

shanecgriffo

i tried at work today, they sound impressive, so i just bought the telecaster ir's .. i'm playing a vintage modified squier with texas style pickups and the telecaster ir's seem to smooth these pickups out nicely and add a more expensive sheen and have a nice telecaster twang at the same time .. recommended if your single coil pickups aren't so smooth!

I use the strat IR with my PRS Custom 24. It's the first block in the signal chain and it's assigned to footswitch 1 to switch on and off as I want it.

It really is great, very convincing and lightens up the CU24 tone for RHCP etc. I can tell the difference between it and my actual strat of course, but it adds the qualities I want.

They're definitely worth the money.

• 1 year later...

Just now seeing this.  So you can use this towards the front of your signal chain/patch and also have cab IRs after the amp?
I'm interested in ( occasionally ) beefing up the tone from my partscaster with Lace Sensor Gold pickups.   Not sure if I want more of a P90s "beef" or a humbucker's but guess I'd need both the PRS and Les Paul electric impulses from 3 Sigma.

Nice approach!

I'll think about it.

What about DSP load? Does that mean that one has

a) to use path A and B always and

b) all 'after-cab-effects' must be placed in path B

if you also want to use a 'cab-IR' ?

Thank you! :-D :-D

i just  bought the Strat and the Teller pack and am impressed, how 'stratty' my ESP-LTD can sound!

As with everything I realized it needs a little experimenting and experience, but even right out of the box I got  cool sounds.

Also there is a 'manual' delivering valuable tipps.

Just got the Strato.  They come in sample rates up to 96.  I know Helix supports 96.  Will the various sample rates affect performance?  Which one do most people use?  I'm using it for live purposes if that matters.

Thanks.

Possibly stupid question, but I love this option...does it take out the sound of the pickups installed in the guitar and really all your getting into the helix (post guitar IR) is the signal strength?  So if you run EMG's or a JB the color the pickup normally passes on to the signal chain is removed and replaced with the color of the guitar IR, or does the IR merely EQ the incoming signal to give the right frequencies a boost/cut to make YOUR pickup sound like its coming out of the guitar the IR is referencing?

I hope that makes sense, I wasnt sure how to phrase it.  

Maybe this will clarify

My guitar with EMG's = EMG Sound

My guitar with EMG'S > Single Coil IR = Single Coil sound A

My guitar w/out EMG's > Single Coil IR = Single Coil Sound B or would this be the same as Single Coil sound A (removes original pickup flavor, output is the same regardless of guitar used)

I gigged yesterday with the Strato MN 1.

Previously I had an eq that was decent but this is an improvement.  I had used a side by side of a strat's EQ output and my EVH Wolfgang's and created an EQ so I could get the Wolfgang in the ....Strato-sphere so to speak.  It sounded good from U2 Streets to Dire Straits...but this was a marked improvement over just an EQ.  So it's got some mojo happening.

...but the IR doesn't transform your guitar or replace the output.  It's definitely more of a filter.  A really good AND COOL one, @themetallikid .  At least that's how I see it and quite what I expected.

ok, so it still retains your pickups sound, it just puts some lipstick and mascara on it to make it sound like the configuration you load....That what I figured was happening...

I ask, because in my one guitar I have the split coil EMG's which are decent, but 'eh'...and in my other guitar I have the 85/60 combo, and even though the split one is based off the 85, it sounds a bit different...and the neck pickups are the same.  

So basically, even using the same guitar IR, both guitars still still sound different....I was hoping to overcome that actually...

Yeah something like that. It's worth trying for the price but there is a comp video on YT and split definitely won over this product.   

Based on what you're looking for.... I would recommend....a Variax.  LOL

Seriously though...I was about to butcher some of my guitars (and none of them are cheap)...and I'm satisfied with these as a solution for live purposes.

For a live mix, I couldn't tell enough difference between Andy's humbucker, sigma IR or split humbucker to worry about.  I had the split functionality on a Carvin AE185 I used to own and never thought it matched what my 74 strat produced.   There's more to the sound than just the pickups ( maple neck etc etc )

In my case, today, I'm actually going the other way, using the Sigma PRS and Les Paul IRs to fatten up the tone on my strat.
As far as my JTV59 variax --- great guitar and so flexible with the Helix  ----  but still doesn't nail the strat tone 100%

yeah I get it wont be as authentic as some ears would like....but I also play in a cover band on weekends for $100-ish a gig.  Most people here just want the same 35-40 songs puked out every weekend and this will at least satisfy the tone monster in my head a bit more.  Less tweaking - more playing...lol

Indianrock - I see your located in Bellingham, I used to live in Mukilteo for about 2 years....worked temporarily for US West Dex (phone book company back then....that was probably 20 years ago or so....but was a nice area.  Was too young to 'get' anything about the music scene there.  didn't really play out yet when I was there.  Went to one show at a place called Rock Candy (probably the wrong name) in downtown seattle for some ska/punk bands my sister wanted to see.  Random thoughts, don't mean to hijack the thread....lol

I got my helix about a week and a half ago and learned a little midi to get it working with my DT 50 thanks to @sadrian .

I use a EVH Wolfgang and slapped the Strato IR in the chain with an EQ I had been using prior to the IR to accentuate a strats output curve and attenuate frequencies that were boosted by my humbucker pickups. 

Played a gig on Saturday night and I felt like the changes were subtle but significant.  This compared to the HD 500 I was using prior that I always was majorly complemented on and really pleased with.   Everything felt just right and cut through better than ever before. 

Then a friend of mine asked if he could try it and I allowed him to. LOL   So I got to step away and hear it and it was inspiring.  Then I ran him through all my presets that used the impulse response. 

I was floored.   At stage volume  I can only describe what I heard as near perfection.  In fact I couldn’t think of anything that was needed or missing. 

My buddy comes to me after word and says something we’ve all heard once or twice… “This thing plays itself“   Inspiring tone that drove some incredible improvisation that night. 

I will be getting the Les Paul and telecaster IR next. 

So far I only bought the PRS and LP IRs to use with my Strat.    I might get the Strat IRs to see if it improves my James Tyler Variax JTV59 through the Helix when going for a "strattier"  sound.     But yes, there's just no substitute for hearing your gear and setting up your patches at gig volume.

What surprises me especially is how the helix seems to be tweaked for stage volume versus bedroom.  I didn’t have to tweak much for alive and I didn’t tweak much when I set them up at home. Even though things sounded a bit dark .

I’m in love… Can you tell? 

5 hours ago, Indianrock2020 said:

So far I only bought the PRS and LP IRs to use with my Strat.    I might get the Strat IRs to see if it improves my James Tyler Variax JTV59 through the Helix when going for a "strattier"  sound.     But yes, there's just no substitute for hearing your gear and setting up your patches at gig volume.

The more I think about that… The more I’d love to hear it. 

Might have to get the humbucker one.