Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Echo platter not stereo?

Jos_K

I unfortunately havent been able to update yet yet due to some software malfunctions, but first thing is first, lets KNOW if the effect is playing back in mono.

Probably the simplest way to do this is turn repeats up to 100% and read your meters. Be sure to be monitoring in stereo. Watch your meters. If the effect IS in fact in mono,  both the left and right will show repeats of exactly the same volume every time provided your pan pot is centered.

Record the track and limit it if you have to.

I checked it. The stereo paths are retained so it processes stereo signals fed into the effect in stereo. But the effect itself is mono. Still no idea what the spread parameter is supposed to do (or the splice paramater, by the way).

Anyone?

The Cosmos Echo is definitely stereo (the stereo version at least), it's just not as in your face as a ping pong delay or anything like that. To hear the stereo effect, you really need to use one of the multi-head settings and get well into self-oscillation. You start to hear it swirl all around. I can hear it even with my studio monitors, but with headphones it was more noticeable.

The Cosmos Echo is definitely stereo (the stereo version at least), it's just not as in your face as a ping pong delay or anything like that. To hear the stereo effect, you really need to use one of the multi-head settings and get well into self-oscillation. You start to hear it swirl all around. I can hear it even with my studio monitors, but with headphones it was more noticeable.

You've got good ears! 'Cause you're right. It is stereo. I did a test, flipping the phase of one side etc. I set the mix to 100% and let it self-oscillate. I could clearly hear a little audio, very faint, but still... It's not present when I sum the signal to mono by placing a mono gain block after the Cosmos Echo. But since the stereo effect is so barely audible, I can't help but think something's not right. And then there's the spread parameter that also in a phase cancellation test doesn't do anything audible.

You've got good ears! 'Cause you're right. It is stereo. I did a test, flipping the phase of one side etc. I set the mix to 100% and let it self-oscillate. I could clearly hear a little audio, very faint, but still... It's not present when I sum the signal to mono by placing a mono gain block after the Cosmos Echo. But since the stereo effect is so barely audible, I can't help but think something's not right. And then there's the spread parameter that also in a phase cancellation test doesn't do anything audible.

Hmm Perhaps L6 could chime in on this Tomorrow. 

It’s probably worth noting that the RE-201, which the Cosmos Echo is modeled after, isn’t a stereo effect to begin with. So I’m not exactly sure what the Spread parameter is doing. It seems to have some effect on new repeats, but it doesn’t seem to affect those already self-oscillating.

i think splice introduces some random tape pitch flutuation. just every now and then

That cracks me up. I have a friend who had a Space Echo and since at one time, there was nobody offering  a replacement for the tape loop, he made one himself by...wait for it...splicing one together. And you could hear the splice where I don't recall ever hearing one before that. It'll be fun to see if it actually recreates that.

Haven't tried it yet, but I suppose since this effect (the original) may be designed for a narrow field, two of them placed at the end of the chain, each on their own path and panned left and right, may produce a more stereo-like sound.

Quickly tried this and it does indeed widen the stereo effect considerably, with the added benefit of an increased array of options to tweak between the two cosmos echos. Also, no need to use two stereo versions, but instead just the mono versions.

Edited by duncann