Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Oh... I don’t know...

hideout

I think I’m gonna be super lazy with regard to this newest update. I like the way my Helix sounds the way it is now at 2.11. The only intriguing amp in there to me is the Victoria. No new effects or features that I find enticing or interesting. Meh.

Maybe next time. If they’d given us independent preamp and power amp blocks my yen to experiment would be stoked again. I literally have zero issues with my Helix on 2.11 and don’t have much time for tweaking. Had this update been more enticing I’d have made time for tweaking.

Oh well, you guys have fun.

Same feelings here. Im a tone chaser so im excited to get updated, but this is def just more of the same.  

That's exactly how I would feel about more hi-gain metal-type amps. More bees in a box. Not saying you shouldn't get them, but I would not likely update if that's all there was.

That's exactly how I would feel about more hi-gain metal-type amps. More bees in a box. Not saying you shouldn't get them, but I would not likely update if that's all there was.

That's how I feel about more, and more Marshals.  We have enough of them. 

There is also plenty covering the mid-gain area now especially with this newest update. The next focus will hopefully be on more high gain. People that cared just for mid-gainers just got theirs in this update. Bass was in the last big update. More High gain flavors are welcome. Not all of us limit ourselves to only rockabilly, blues, and "praise." 

That said I am very appreciative of this update. Especially the under the hood improvements. I just hope the next one has more high gain additions. I do read that the Cartographer AMP (from the newest update) can be pretty good for high gain stuff. So there is that at least! 

I would like to see some HX cabinets added that don't rely on a new amp model added.  Or hell, some Line 6 original HX cabinets. I would like to see  a little more of the  creative additions, than replications of existing hardware.

Yeah but its not just a matter of hi gain low gain, ect...Im getting plenty of good low gain sounds from high gain amps. Vice versa.  ( btw im most partial to mid gain)  I mean is there REALLY a couple of different sounds in this update? Without even hearing the new update id be willing to wager i can pretty easily cop any "new tones" with the tones  that were previously available in 2.20. Even with all the amps in 2.20 there were only a few different sounds to be had (other than the obvious difference between gainy tones and clean tones), and IRs and cabinets are largely responsible for that.

I wont be too quick to judge but there are only so many ways you can bend digital distortion. This is a big reason why the cab sounds/ IRs play such a prominent role in modeling tones. 

The new editor alone is worth the update

How so? What if you’re quite happy with the sounds you’re already getting and don’t particularly enjoy tweaking for the sake of tweaking? If there were new sound shaping tools and truly innovative effects included then I’d be willing to update but it’s just more amps and effects. As I said I’m more than happy with the sounds coming from the amps and effects that 2.11 gives me right now.

How so? What if you’re quite happy with the sounds you’re already getting and don’t particularly enjoy tweaking for the sake of tweaking? If there were new sound shaping tools and truly innovative effects included then I’d be willing to update but it’s just more amps and effects. As I said I’m more than happy with the sounds coming from the amps and effects that 2.11 gives me right now.

right on

Then don't update.

I did the update and I also feel the editor is a substantial improvement.  I also was happy with the Helix prior to the update, but I'm happier with it now.

Not sure that I understand the point of your initial post. If your happy with an antiquated version of the firmware then go with it!

I'm more excited about the "under the hood" improvements. ("General stability improvements")

Software can always be further optimized and improved. 

• Upvote 2

Do not sell this update short... It is not just more of the same... Victoria, Trainwreck, Cartographer are definitely very different amps than what has come before, and really round out the tonal palette for me, anyway, adding what I'd had difficulty producing previously.

• Upvote 1

Then don't update.

I won’t. But I’m not saying nobody else should.

I did the update and I also feel the editor is a substantial improvement. I also was happy with the Helix prior to the update, but I'm happier with it now.

That’s great! I’m happy for you.

Not sure that I understand the point of your initial post. If your happy with an antiquated version of the firmware then go with it!

Antiquated? Seriously? If it’s not the latest and greatest it’s antiquated? Pffft!

The point is that I was hoping for something different. I was hoping for more innovative tools for tone shaping as well as some more interesting effects.

And I am going with what I’ve got, which is exactly what I said in my initial post.

I'm more excited about the "under the hood" improvements. ("General stability improvements")

Again, that’s great and I’m happy for all who like this update but I for one, am not excited by it. Is that ok? Is it not alright with you that I have chosen to voice a differing opinion on this Forum?

Software can always be further optimized and improved.

Which is precisely why I’ve opted to wait. I want tools to take the existing amp models that I’m already using and improve the sound coming out of them. I don’t want to replace them with something that’s just new which doesn’t always translate to better. I’d like to see different takes on effects already in existence. Effects with deeper controls over modulation, for example. Like a true LFO modulated delay and not just one with a chorus slapped on the end of it. One that the LFO actually modulates the time delay parameter which is a far more rich sound than typical modulated delays.
  • Downvote 2

Do not sell this update short... It is not just more of the same... Victoria, Trainwreck, Cartographer are definitely very different amps than what has come before, and really round out the tonal palette for me, anyway, adding what I'd had difficulty producing previously.

That is great. Even though I want more High gain amps, I also want some amps that cover territory that isn't as covered. I am actually interested in trying those 3. 

You're happy with Vanilla, Chocolate, and Strawberry- good for you. Personally, I find these improvements:

-Much more user friendly editor, update and storage capabilities

- the amps are a different flavor and more touch sensitive compared to earlier ones

- the new delay is awesome sounding

- the new Xotic clean boost is great for every amp I've tried.

Since it's free, what do you have to lose?

• Upvote 1

Time. Wasted on more tweaking. Also, I’m not sure we can downgrade back to the old version if we wanted to.

Helix probably isn't the right tool for you then, it's one of the most time consuming (kemper, axefx, real amps are all faster to setup). I agree line6 should add a downgrade option. I belive AxeFX lets you select the firmware version of the amp, that's a must imo.

And line6 did add some really different and new tools in that update, next to the "not so new" amps. the double tracker, space echo, goatkeeper, line6 fuzz are sound shapping/innovative effects

No offence but you don't have time for updates because of the time spent tweaking but you have time to post an update tweaking on about not liking tweaking...

in the time spent on this post you could have taken the brave step and updated, which is now so quick and easy, and hear how good the updates since 2.11 are and how stable they are too...

Change is good for us...

Be brave brother take the step into the unknown... you might be pleasantly surprised...

Next year gonna see some great developments for helix according to those in the know...

Right now I'm really happy with this update which was always just an interim update on the transitional path taking in the changes brought about by native and a new editor and the new architecture needed for bringing everything into the land of 3.0 next year... was happy before 2.3, I'm even more happy now and expect i will be more happy with 3.0.

But i respect each to their own... if it aint broken dont fix it... but if a new even better version is available that line 6 have spent thousands of man/woman hours on bringing us and testing it... at least trust their innovations enough to try them before deriding their efforts as too risky or not worthwhile... there are some gems waiting for you in the updates since 2.11.... take that brave step ... it is worth it... no offence meant. Peace enjoy

I suppose I can understand how some people may be wary of an upgrade if all is working well.  In the past I've made sure to wait and see how things shook out before committing to the upgrade as I really can't afford to introduce problems given how dependent I am on the Helix for live performances.

On the other hand having listened closely to those in the know about this release, there was no hesitation on my part about this particular upgrade.  Those of us that have been listening to Line 6 and Beta testers knew full well what this upgrade was about and didn't hesitate.  This upgrade wasn't about new amps or new effects.  This was really about re-engineering the architecture for the future.  I'm sure I'll eventually get around to trying out some of the new things, but it's more important that I take advantage of the stability and performance enhancements introduced in this new architecture because Helix will continue to be a crucial part of my setup for a very long time.  Just witnessing the smoothness and efficiency in the upgrade procedure is enough to tell me it was the right decision.

Bottom line, in order for anyone to move forward from this point on, the path goes through 2.30.  You'll either do it now, or do it later.

I do understand what you are saying. I was slightly underwhelmed at the new stuff. But I wouldn't go so far as to say they are more of the same. They are an expansion of the palette and despite the abundance of Marshalls the Helix has, this new one (I guess three although they are just different channels) gave me a tone I couldn't quite get with what's in the Helix now. I was hoping for at least one new reverb though I believe they are slated for the big 3.0 update. I guess you could look at it this way.

This update is to get all of the Helix platforms ready for the 3.0 update. In the meantime they threw in some things that were already done. They could have just waited and not given us any of these things. Just prepared the platforms. But we got a taste. I too am hoping for more hi gain. Like a Diezel.

So go ahead and upgrade. You're going to need it for 3.0. Besides, you can roll the Helix back. But since it sounds the same, just more stuff, I'm not quite sure why you wouldn't.

But since it sounds the same, just more stuff, I'm not quite sure why you would.

The fact that I’ll need this update to get to 3.0 is the only reason I’m considering doing the update. Otherwise, the Helix works perfectly well the way it is now and I’m loving the sounds I’m getting. Why are some of you so butt hurt because I won’t update? It’s my device, go ahead and update yours if you want. Sheesh!!

Exactly. The Helix works perfectly well the way it is now and I’m loving the sounds I’m getting. Why are some of you so butt hurt because I won’t update? It’s my device, go ahead and update yours if you want. Sheesh!!

I'm sorry, I meant to say don't know why you wouldn't update. Eventually. The 3.0 upgrade will require it. I sensed no pain/hurt in any of the posts. They (and I) are merely commenting on your comment. No emotion involved at all in my case.

Helix probably isn't the right tool for you then, it's one of the most time consuming (kemper, axefx, real amps are all faster to setup).

I don’t think it’s necessary for me to get rid of the Helix just because I don’t feel it necessary to update it right now. The Helix is absolutely the right tool for me. I just don’t have everyone else’s penchant for updating just because there’s a new firmware release.

I'm sorry, I meant to say don't know why you wouldn't update. Eventually. The 3.0 upgrade will require it. I sensed no pain/hurt in any of the posts. They (and I) are merely commenting on your comment. No emotion involved at all in my case.

I actually revised my response to you as well. To be clear, the latter part of my post wasn’t directed at you. Per your comment (which I appreciate in its dispassionate tone), I see the logic in updating sometime before the next release but contrary to how some are posting on this thread, it doesn’t need to happen right this minute.

I suppose I can understand how some people may be wary of an upgrade if all is working well. In the past I've made sure to wait and see how things shook out before committing to the upgrade as I really can't afford to introduce problems given how dependent I am on the Helix for live performances.

On the other hand having listened closely to those in the know about this release, there was no hesitation on my part about this particular upgrade. Those of us that have been listening to Line 6 and Beta testers knew full well what this upgrade was about and didn't hesitate. This upgrade wasn't about new amps or new effects. This was really about re-engineering the architecture for the future. I'm sure I'll eventually get around to trying out some of the new things, but it's more important that I take advantage of the stability and performance enhancements introduced in this new architecture because Helix will continue to be a crucial part of my setup for a very long time. Just witnessing the smoothness and efficiency in the upgrade procedure is enough to tell me it was the right decision.

Bottom line, in order for anyone to move forward from this point on, the path goes through 2.30. You'll either do it now, or do it later.

Thank you! You and brue58ski have shed some much needed light on this update. I’m still gonna wait a while to do it.

No offence but you don't have time for updates because of the time spent tweaking but you have time to post an update tweaking on about not liking tweaking...

in the time spent on this post you could have taken the brave step and updated, which is now so quick and easy, and hear how good the updates since 2.11 are and how stable they are too...

Change is good for us...

Be brave brother take the step into the unknown... you might be pleasantly surprised...

Next year gonna see some great developments for helix according to those in the know...

Right now I'm really happy with this update which was always just an interim update on the transitional path taking in the changes brought about by native and a new editor and the new architecture needed for bringing everything into the land of 3.0 next year... was happy before 2.3, I'm even more happy now and expect i will be more happy with 3.0.

But i respect each to their own... if it aint broken dont fix it... but if a new even better version is available that line 6 have spent thousands of man/woman hours on bringing us and testing it... at least trust their innovations enough to try them before deriding their efforts as too risky or not worthwhile... there are some gems waiting for you in the updates since 2.11.... take that brave step ... it is worth it... no offence meant. Peace enjoy

Yup. I’m happy to talk about not having to tweak my Helix than to spend any time tweaking it. I just don’t enjoy that aspect of it anymore. I used to like it but not so much anymore. I hate the rabbit hole it takes me to. There has to be some compelling new tools and effects for me to revisit that rabbit hole. They’re not in this release. Oh I’ll probably do the update... sometime next year but it seems a shame to do the update and not feel like playing with any of the new toys because they just don’t interest me.

Geez... leave the poor guy alone. 

I totally get what you're saying @Hideout... Helix already does what you need.  Adding more stuff doesn't make it necessarily better, until you need a change.  Until then, it's better just to keep on playing on and why bother wasting time tweaking and learning new stuff you don't need.  It's not like we don't all have enough going on in our lives already.

You know, maybe it’s because all of the other modelers I’ve owned through the years needed so much constant tweaking that the Helix’s lack of need to do that has been such a place of serenity that I just don’t want to give that up. I’m really enjoying just playing my guitars again and having them all sound great because of the Helix.

I’m sure the new toys sound cool but...

Helix probably isn't the right tool for you then, it's one of the most time consuming (kemper, axefx, real amps are all faster to setup). I agree line6 should add a downgrade option. I belive AxeFX lets you select the firmware version of the amp, that's a must imo.

And line6 did add some really different and new tools in that update, next to the "not so new" amps. the double tracker, space echo, goatkeeper, line6 fuzz are sound shapping/innovative effects

I do not see AXE FX as faster to set up. Matter of fact one of the main complaints against AXE FX is the time consumption of setting up tones, the on board UI is awful in comparison. 

I don't have a horse in the update-or-not race - whatever people want to do is what they should do.

But I notice a few comments indicating that you will have to 'go through' v2.30 to get to the future v3.0 and onward. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by that, but all Line 6 firmware releases on any product that I'm aware of have been comprehensive. In other words you can update directly from any previous version to the latest version without having to perform any intermediate updates. I expect the v3.0 update to be the same. Unless Line 6 does something unprecedented you will be able to go directly from v2.21 to v3.0.

Am I missing something?