Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Oh... I don’t know...

hideout

I don't have a horse in the update-or-not race - whatever people want to do is what they should do.

But I notice a few comments indicating that you will have to through v2.30 to get to the future v3.0 and onward. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by that, but all Line 6 firmware releases on any product that I'm aware of have been comprehensive. In other words you can update directly from any previous version to the latest version without having to perform any intermediate updates. I expect the v3.0 update to be the same. Unless Line 6 does something unprecedented you will be able to go directly from v2.21 to v3.0.

Am I missing something?

I was curious about this as well.  I mean I still plan on upgrading to the new FW that just released, I just haven't got around to it. Not playing guitar/recording right now, or ReAmping. Just finishing up the mixing on my album.

Geez... leave the poor guy alone.

I totally get what you're saying @Hideout... Helix already does what you need. Adding more stuff doesn't make it necessarily better, until you need a change. Until then, it's better just to keep on playing on and why bother wasting time tweaking and learning new stuff you don't need. It's not like we don't all have enough going on in our lives already.

Bingo! Thank you!

A lot of folks have trouble being happy with what they’ve got. It’s not easy! It’s amazing to me that an inanimate object, the Helix, has actually allowed me to achieve this level of satisfaction in at least my guitar playing life.

What a weird and amazing thing.

Bingo! Thank you!

A lot of folks have trouble being happy with what they’ve got. It’s not easy! It’s amazing to me that an inanimate object, the Helix, has actually allowed me to achieve this level of satisfaction in at least my guitar playing life.

What a weird and amazing thing.

Upgrade if you want man, you don't have to. I haven't yet, but I am not even using the Helix except for an audio interface atm.  Unless I come across a track I am mixing that needs the guitars ReAmped I won't even use the Helix (for anything other than an audio interface) until perhaps the end of the year.  I already got all the guitar recorded, and ReAmped for the album.

Some of us just don't have a need for the newest additions at the exact moment that they come out. Nothing wrong with it.

I don't have a horse in the update-or-not race - whatever people want to do is what they should do.

But I notice a few comments indicating that you will have to 'go through' v2.30 to get to the future v3.0 and onward. I'm not sure exactly what you mean by that, but all Line 6 firmware releases on any product that I'm aware of have been comprehensive. In other words you can update directly from any previous version to the latest version without having to perform any intermediate updates. I expect the v3.0 update to be the same. Unless Line 6 does something unprecedented you will be able to go directly from v2.21 to v3.0.

Am I missing something?

I guess I was thinking since this was a major recoding of the Helix platform (am I using the right terms?) that it would require this to be installed before you would be able to upgrade to 3.0. But you're right about all of the other upgrades for Line 6 products that I know of. They were comprehensive. Hmmmm. Maybe he doesn't have to upgrade now. But he'd better, else he invoke the wrath of us who install 10 seconds after the upgrade is available!!!!! ;)

• Upvote 1

The new firmware didn’t change the sound of old patches for me at all.

There are 4 amps in the update I thought I’d never use which I ended up adoring.

Th new Space Echo is to die for. So are the new xotic models.

BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY, there are always bugs squashed as we move along, so I’d update only for that.

Also, the new editor is a huge improvement.

You should upgrade even if you aren’t going to use the new stuff imho.

• Upvote 1

The new firmware didn’t change the sound of old patches for me at all.

There are 4 amps in the update I thought I’d never use which I ended up adoring.

Th new Space Echo is to die for. So are the new xotic models.

BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY, there are always bugs squashed as we move along, so I’d update only for that.

Also, the new editor is a huge improvement.

You should upgrade even if you aren’t going to use the new stuff imho.

Mmmm... I don’t know...

I think I’ll wait and see if someone posts a YouTube vid of some of 2.3’s highlights.

Hey Hideout...I get what you are saying. I went for almost 2 full months on one patch because it did everything that I wanted and I really enjoyed 'playing' (crazy concept...I know).

I upgraded and personally was not super stoked about any of the new amps, but let me tell you, the new Xotic comp and boost are worth every last minute updating the unit. I also owned a RE-301 for 20 years and the RE-201 is so mushy and good...it's a tonal beast. I been having a great time listening to all of the current models that I use and setting them on fire with those new effects. My high gain stuff is SO much better now. Also a shout out to Chad Boston for the OTB settings...blending that with a built in cab or IR is amazing. That stuff has me excited and back to tweaking with a smile.

btw...my old patches that I was digging for 2 months still sound stellar and none of the updates got in the way of my enjoyment of where I had been with the Helix. It is an amazing unit and the L6 guys keep making it even more of a beast.

Cheers!

I guess I was thinking since this was a major recoding of the Helix platform (am I using the right terms?) that it would require this to be installed before you would be able to upgrade to 3.0. But you're right about all of the other upgrades for Line 6 products that I know of. They were comprehensive. Hmmmm. Maybe he doesn't have to upgrade now. But he'd better, else he invoke the wrath of us who install 10 seconds after the upgrade is available!!!!! ;)

Yes it's a major recoding and an architectural overhaul to simplify future releases from a coding and maintenance perspective. For instance, the user interface for HX Edit and Helix Native are now essentially the same, and (I presume) based on the same source code as much as possible. That makes things simpler for the future because now you only have to revise one piece of source code, not two, to affect both products. So in that sense I think v2.30 is a new launching point for development and maintenance but not necessarily for firmware releases.

A Line 6 firmware update completely overwrites existing firmware - it's not like an update 'patch' that you often see in Windows software. In the latter case the patch only partially overwrites the OS code and requires that the patch be applied to a specific previous OS version. But Helix hardware is what it is, and you can completely replace the firmware without considering what the existing firmware is. It's gone - doesn't matter what it was -  and a completely new OS takes its place.

... at least that's my understanding ......

Ha Ha! Does that mean you are bringing your ennuitic self to the Line 6 Updater program?

😂😂 Maybe next year.

I do have 4 days off this week so maybe if my wife hasn’t piled on the “honey-dosâ€... ðŸ˜

Geez... leave the poor guy alone. 

Just making another observation/opinion-  I didn't see where people were actually "picking" on him. Most generally stating an opinion one way or the other on updating. And, I'm pretty sure Hideout is capable of defending himself here. So I believe there's no cause in rescuing him even if He's poor, as you suggest...  ;)    :lol:

Yup. I’m happy to talk about not having to tweak my Helix than to spend any time tweaking it. I just don’t enjoy that aspect of it anymore. I used to like it but not so much anymore. I hate the rabbit hole it takes me to. There has to be some compelling new tools and effects for me to revisit that rabbit hole. They’re not in this release. Oh I’ll probably do the update... sometime next year but it seems a shame to do the update and not feel like playing with any of the new toys because they just don’t interest me.

Fairplay just hoped I could persuade you to update as it's worth it in my opinion... many improvements... seems many people wanting different things... maybe line 6 will end up going down the packs of amps and fx route so users only have to upload the stuff they want.

I imagine if line 6 were to offer everything everyone wanted it would cost them in developing and catering for all the different needs... would they offer packs as free updates or charge for packs to cover the increased development costs... would people pay for packs if it gave them exactly what they wanted... purely hypothetical

Just making another observation/opinion- I didn't see where people were actually "picking" on him. Most generally stating an opinion one way or the other on updating. And, I'm pretty sure Hideout is capable of defending himself here. So I believe there's no cause in rescuing him even if He's poor, as you suggest... ;) :lol:

LOL

Your tag line says it all - "Too much measuring and not enough music-making (says the Electronic geek) ... :lol: "

I've simply adapted it to, "Too much tweaking and updating and backing up and restoring and not enough music-making (says hideout) ... :lol: "

LOL

Your tag line says it all - "Too much measuring and not enough music-making (says the Electronic geek) ... :lol: "

I've simply adapted it to, "Too much tweaking and updating and backing up and restoring and not enough music-making (says hideout) ... :lol: "

Haha too much measuring tweaking updating blogging and forum reading and replying and not enough music making....

Fairplay just hoped I could persuade you to update as it's worth it in my opinion... many improvements... seems many people wanting different things... maybe line 6 will end up going down the packs of amps and fx route so users only have to upload the stuff they want.

I imagine if line 6 were to offer everything everyone wanted it would cost them in developing and catering for all the different needs... would they offer packs as free updates or charge for packs to cover the increased development costs... would people pay for packs if it gave them exactly what they wanted... purely hypothetical

It may indeed be worth it. I just hate to interrupt the "Plug in and go" flow right now.

Interesting thoughts on packs. I'd pay.

I don't expect Line6 to give us all the differing things we want. All I can do is hope for some of the things I'd like to use. If it never comes, c'est la vie.

ENNUI?!?!?! What the heck does that mean?

One quick internet search later.....

Hey! I learned a new word today. ENNUI. And I thought I knew everything..........

Well now I do.

And since I'm at work on this day, it describes me.

Lololol!

Or the other way round ;)

Have you updated brother? If not would you mind exporting some reamped tracks from 2.20 or whatever you're using? I really feel like this update might have a bit of a different sound. The native cabs mostly. Im often the first to proclaim it doesn't when the claims come rolling in, and im sure some of the voices saying that it DOES arent far behind. 

I got side tracked fixing a computer during the update, and im not monitoring on my familiar system, so its a little hard to tell for sure, but it sounds like some of the harshness is gone.

Have you updated brother? If not would you mind exporting some reamped tracks from 2.20 or whatever you're using? I really feel like this update might have a bit of a different sound. The native cabs mostly. Im often the first to proclaim it doesn't when the claims come rolling in, and im sure some of the voices saying that it DOES arent far behind.

I got side tracked fixing a computer during the update, and im not monitoring on my familiar system, so its a little hard to tell for sure, but it sounds like some of the harshness is gone.

I want to say that there was another thread created here recently after this update asking the same question. Even stated they thought that some of the fizz/harshness is gone.

I want to say that there was another thread created here recently after this update asking the same question. Even stated they thought that some of the fizz/harshness is gone.

Yeah, often after updates, people will proclaim that "everything just sounds better". Thats not likely and im usually the first to criticize similar comments, but the cabs DO sound a bit more mellow this time around. Im ok to admit that its probably placebo,or even minor adjustments made to my room, my brain, and most DEFINITELY my monitor situation, but suddenly the stock cabs sound slightly more usable.

If nothing has changed for you other than the firmware, whats your gut tell you? Less fizz or the same?

Yeah, often after updates, people will proclaim that "everything just sounds better". Thats not likely and im usually the first to criticize similar comments, but the cabs DO sound a bit more mellow this time around. Im ok to admit that its probably placebo,or even minor adjustments made to my room, my brain, and most DEFINITELY my monitor situation, but suddenly the stock cabs sound slightly more usable.

If nothing has changed for you other than the firmware, whats your gut tell you? Less fizz or the same?

Sorry I haven't upgraded yet, I am busy finishing mixing till the end of the year. Helix is basically just my audio interface in the mean time. 

Hopefully you can get more credible answers from some who have upgraded. 

Well if this is true it might be the very thing that tips me over to do the upgrade. I’d love to be able to back off of some of the high cuts needed... but I still hate to tweak these days.