Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

You got to shape up the new editor look

dannepop

to some degree, I would agree

I think gray-ish background was somewhat easier for an eye than the whole black as introduced with Native, but that's very personal perhaps on different monitors

the most annoying thing is [the inconsistent] behaviour of the mouse scroll wheel on the editor

I like the new editor but I must confess that my first thought was also "Why the hell did they make everything smaller?".

We lost Drag and Drop funciton for Impulse Responses too.

Since I got my helix when no editor was available yet, I'm used to edit on the device itself anyway.

I think the new editor is cleaner and since I have native, they both are more consistent to me. The new sliders, to me, are way more tactile and give a better view of full parameters. 

i do think the main blocks window could be bigger/sizable. seems like it 'just" fits.

• Upvote 1

I really like that you can adjust the parameters of the blocks from the keyboard arrows. What I don't like is the up and down arrows are the ones that control the left to right motion of the sliders, and the left to right arrows control the up and down movement of the "focus". I get that the levels themselves are going up and down numerically but when the sliders go left and right, for me it's counter intuitive. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but for now I keep hitting the wrong arrow.

I like the new editor but I must confess that my first thought was also "Why the hell did they make everything smaller?".

We lost Drag and Drop funciton for Impulse Responses too.

Since I got my helix when no editor was available yet, I'm used to edit on the device itself anyway.

Dragging and dropping works for me with the new editor on Windows 10.

I’d like an option to show the actual device icons in the block position instead of the block type icons. That would make it easier to understanding the routing at a glance. The current routing view makes it hard to distinguish blocks that are the same type, but have quite different devices. For example, most of my patches had multiple distortion blocks for different gain staging purposes. I can’t easily distinguish them in the UI since they all look the same. Same for mod blocks.

• Upvote 3

I’d like an option to show the actual device icons in the block position instead of the block type icons. That would make it easier to understanding the routing at a glance. The current routing view makes it hard to distinguish blocks that are the same type, but have quite different devices. For example, most of my patches had multiple distortion blocks for different gain staging purposes. I can’t easily distinguish them in the UI since they all look the same. Same for mod blocks.

Yeah!  I would love that!

Also, it would be nice if the various windows could be undocked from the main window, so you can more easily go back and forth between them.  Many of us now have dual monitor screens.  I love that my DAW can do that.

Yeah!  I would love that!

Great idea.

Very much yes! Take thee to yon IdeaScale henceforth and forthwith!

I also like the controller assign screen where you can see all the assignments in one glance. Sometimes, after heavy editing I forget to erase certain assignments, causing unwanted behavior in the patch. In this view you can identify potential problems real quick. Saved me some headaches already!

Dragging and dropping works for me with the new editor on Windows 10.

I think he may have been referring to the ability to drag an IR from the IR list on top of the IR slot number field in the editor to change the slot. That no longer works.

But yes, dragging IRs from the computer file system into the IR list works as one would expect.

I think he may have been referring to the ability to drag an IR from the IR list on top of the IR slot number field in the editor to change the slot. That no longer works.

this works here, too, as one would expect.

anyways, I would prefer default action to be "move" instead of "copy". maybe "copy" with a keypress+drag

this works here, too, as one would expect.

anyways, I would prefer default action to be "move" instead of "copy". maybe "copy" with a keypress+drag

Are you sure? I tried several times and it didn't work. Just to be clear, I mean drag from the IR list on the left, on top of the IR slot slider for a IR block that is highlighted in the signal routing pane. In the old editor, that would change the selected block's slot number to match the slot number of the one you drug over the IR slot parameter slider.

yikes, I am sorry. no, this one doesn't

tbh, didn't know this was a (a rather neat) feature previously :-D

Yeah, that was hidden gem, I discovered it by accident. I guess it does help to read the manual sometimes, assuming it's in there - I haven't checked. :)

• Upvote 1

But yes, dragging IRs from the computer file system into the IR list works as one would expect.

Yes I meant that - doesn't work anymore.

I agree and have been requesting this change since I first received my Helix. I submitted the Idea back on Oct, 2015 requesting this and it would make a much more informative home screen as well as make editing easier. You can vote it up here: https://line6.ideascale.com/a/idea-v2/787888

I personally like the new editor format better.  A LOT less scrolling left to right or up and down (for those of us who have small laptop screens to work with)...  Yes, some things are a bit harder to discern since they're smaller, but I much prefer being able to see all the parameters without having to scroll with a trackpad.

I like the new editor so much better. Feels more like a more modern piece of software to me now.

100% with you. Love the ability to double click on the IRs and have the list come up. This editor is FAR more advanced than the last, which i disliked from day 1.

I'm in a slightly odd position at the moment with Helix. I have one, but it's in a cupboard waiting for 25 Dec. I set it up when I bought it a few weeks back, downloading v2.21 firmware and editor, and my initial reaction was in line with some others here: an option to toggle HD Edit-style* device-specific block icons would be useful. But this was an hour's playing around. Maybe I'll get used to the generic block icons sooner than I think. Just have to see.

[EDIT: *But without the wood floor background, if possible? :) ]

A plus vote for the new editor here on my mac, now I can move the sliders without 1/2 second delay in them updating! Makes it more useable for me.

If they updated the helix plugin to size like the editor I would be all over it.

Edit : looks like they have added resizing to the plugin :)

One thing still lacking from the new firmware 2.30 version series HX Edit and Helix Updater, is that there is no support for using an Android Tablet for the housekeeping tasks. I'm referring to the Backup and Restore features, and download and install of the firmware.

If Android USB Class Compliance issues exist that preclude using HX Edit for Helix Control and Editing -- while using Helix for Audio -- it would still be massively convenient to accomplish just the above mentioned houskeeping chores from an Android device that already works with a USB OTG cable adapter.

I personally like the new editor format better.  A LOT less scrolling left to right or up and down (for those of us who have small laptop screens to work with)...  Yes, some things are a bit harder to discern since they're smaller, but I much prefer being able to see all the parameters without having to scroll with a trackpad.

Was scrolling even an option in earlier versions? Definitely not for me. Unless i was bugged....I dont recall any scroll support whatsoever. Id even asked for scroll support in several posts.

When I say "scrolling" I mean having to use the "scroll bars" on the bottom and side of my window to get to all the parameters.  The size of the bars and fonts were so large, it didn't all fit into the largest viewing window on my Mac Book... so when I was editing an amp, I could only see the first 4-5 parameters, and had to click/drag the scroll bar down to get to the rest... sometimes it would take more than one to get the last parameters.  This one all fits.  

When I say "scrolling" I mean having to use the "scroll bars" on the bottom and side of my window to get to all the parameters.  The size of the bars and fonts were so large, it didn't all fit into the largest viewing window on my Mac Book... so when I was editing an amp, I could only see the first 4-5 parameters, and had to click/drag the scroll bar down to get to the rest... sometimes it would take more than one to get the last parameters.  This one all fits.  

I see now... But i HAVE seen dudes who with the old editor, had a lot more information on their screen than me. Im going to say part of it is the "presonalization" in the computers settings.

New editor seems to be missing the X to delete a block like the old one had.  I seem to have to cntrl+click > Clear Block to delete anything.  Can we bring back the simple X (kill) button?

Nooooooo......I didnt even notice they were gone.... Yet!  Im soooo glad they are gone. How many times i accidentally deleted a block because of those. Just right click select clear block.

Great improvements to the editor overall.

But there is one thing that I seem unable to get used to, and that is parameter selection and adjustment using the keyboard arrow keys. Whoever thought it was a good idea to make:

Left (visually Up): select parameter towards first listed

Right (visually Down): select parameter towards last listed

Up (visually Right): increase parameter value

Down (visually Left): decrease parameter value

A more intuitive layout would be:

Left (visually Left): decrease parameter value

Right (visually Right): increase parameter value

Up (visually Up): select parameter towards first listed

Down (visually Down): select parameter towards last listed

To make matters worse, this is the area of the editor where, for me at least, most of the time is spent. So it's a constant mental stumbling block.