Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Well now that the Helix got some lovin'...

malachi1313

Give it up gents, it ain't happening. The Irish wake for the HD series came and went 2 years ago when Helix was released. Don't expect any new $500 modelers either. That price point died with the POD. It's been stated by DI more than once that if it were not for contracts still in place with parts suppliers, L6 couldn't even release the POD for $500 today, never mind a new product with current tech.

Lamenting over a lack of facelifts for a product line nearing a decade old is ridiculous. Nothing lasts forever.

as stated by the product manager Elliot Chenault surely nowdays L6 couldn't release a new generation POD with all the bells and whistles of the predecessor for only $500, but I'm sure that they could make a $500 new product which could compete well with devices like the Atomic Amplifire, especially considering that they are under the huge wings of Yamaha

"Could they?" and "would they?" are two entirely different questions. DI was the one who said that the $500 mark was a dead-end from a financial perspective... wasn't me.

Anything above $500 is a dead end for me.  I like L6 gear but for over $500 I can also buy a Marshall DSL40 combo that sounds great too.  Plus plenty of other amps in that price range that I just plug into and sound they sound great. 

Yeah I know, why bring an amp to a gig when I can just plug in the POD or Helix to the PA.  A small combo amp isn't hard to roll in either.  My next response is why spend more money on something that simulates an amp ?

Don't get me wrong.  I like L6 gear but amp prices are coming down and they're sounding better.