Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Cautions about 2.30's new full backup feature

zooey

With the proviso that I haven't had a chance to do and explore this upgrade yet myself, I suspect a couple of cautions are in order. Full backup is essentially an extended version of the Bundle backup from previous version, which is great, but it looks like it has the same caveats...

• As has been discovered, and makes logical sense, restoring from a full backup after a firmware upgrade overwrites any new factory setlists or presets that came with the upgrade.
    For that reason, it would be great if Line 6 could provide the factory setlists as separate downloads.
  • A corrupted preset can prevent you from being able to restore. In fact one of the biggest new features of 2.30 IMO is that it appears to detect at least some corruption when you do the export, so you know then to isolate which one and deal with it, instead of finding out when you really need to restore that your backup is unusable.
    I have no idea if it's actually doing any kind of on-the-fly inspection or testing, but my guess would be no, it simply tries to export, and goes off the rails if it hits something sufficiently unexpected, like software does. It's still great that it fails on export in some cases, but there may be other kinds of corruption that won't be detected until you import.

For all those reasons, with prior versions I think many people did setlist and preset backups in addition to bundles. That's quite likely still wise.

I don't mean to knock Line 6 or this upgrade, by all reports it seems awesome, can't wait to get there myself :)

Poop I missed this.

I backed up my full thing and then ran the 2.30 update. Then immediately restored not thinking about the stock presets. If I wanted to do this right, i'd have to wipe the helix again and then run the backup as suggested above:only restore the user setlists and Global Settings.... it's in the options for restore.

correct?

With the proviso that I haven't had a chance to do and explore this upgrade yet myself, I suspect a couple of cautions are in order. Full backup is essentially an extended version of the Bundle backup from previous version, which is great, but it looks like it has the same caveats...

• As has been discovered, and makes logical sense, restoring from a full backup after a firmware upgrade overwrites any new factory setlists or presets that came with the upgrade.

For that reason, it would be great if Line 6 could provide the factory setlists as separate downloads.

• A corrupted preset can prevent you from being able to restore. In fact one of the biggest new features of 2.30 IMO is that it appears to detect at least some corruption when you do the export, so you know then to isolate which one and deal with it, instead of finding out when you really need to restore that your backup is unusable.

I have no idea if it's actually doing any kind of on-the-fly inspection or testing, but my guess would be no, it simply tries to export, and goes off the rails if it hits something sufficiently unexpected, like software does. It's still great that it fails on export in some cases, but there may be other kinds of corruption that won't be detected until you import.

For all those reasons, with prior versions I think many people did setlist and preset backups in addition to bundles. That's quite likely still wise.

I don't mean to knock Line 6 or this upgrade, by all reports it seems awesome, can't wait to get there myself :)

So yes you are correct that's why I can't find the new amp presets after my upgrade from 2.2 to 2.3- because as you stated my full backup overwrote the presets I was hoping to checkout. 

That's interesting.
​Because, although I backed my stuff up, as instructed, I don't see any new presets in 2.3, even though I didn't do a restore!

New models & fx, yes, but presets? No.

Can anyone confirm that there are new presets? Someone said they're in Factory 1 - not in mine, they're not

This also occurred to me, but stupidly, I assumed that since Line 6 didn't mention it in their update instructions, they'd take all of this in to account and the new presets/changes would be there anyway.  I mean, what the hell is the point of providing us with new patches/tweaks and then giving us all instructions which overwrite them??

How much does "If you would like the new prestets/changes DO NOT RESTORE FACTORY PRESETS.  Here's how....." cost?

So now, if I want these new presets I have to fart around updating and restoring all over again?  Oh well, at least it's a nice simple user friendly process, ay.

Excellent coms there guys, thanks a bundle.

-

It seems people are missing the options for restoring presets, after the firmware update, when you restore from your backup, unclick the Factory1 preset and you will see the new amps 13B, 13C, 13D, 14A, etc..

Here is a image

Yes we're missing it, because we weren't told about it BEFORE the update, were we?

-

Next week Line 6 should update the 2.30 Updating Helix Installation Step No. 4 to include the language that is presently deep down in the Release Notes > New Features > 2nd Bullet item. This would help reduce the number of users that unintentionally overwrite the 2.30 Factory Presets Setlists when performing the Restore from their Backup.

Has anyone seen the issue where selecting Create Backup or Restore From Backup in HX Edit do nothing. No dialog, no error, nothing.

It's happening to me and I've restarted Windows and the Helix. It's communicating fine and all other functions work in HX Edit - Importing setlists, bundles or presets, just not the full backup.

Thinking I'll just not worry about the backup - I've backed up the presets I care about - I only use 5 for my gigs atm.