Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

variax 700 vs variax JTV69, acoustic models

Hi,

I was in the process of buying a used Variax  JVT69 (electric and acoustic models). I already own a Variax 700  (acoustic models only).

I love the sound of the Gibson J200 on the 700.

The JVT69 offers the same  J200 model.

So  my main concern was to be able to use the strat or the  Tele or the J200  when I'm playing live with my band

I was  pleased with the strat and Tel sounds but the sound of  J200 was terriblel even using a mixer for this  choice, with and A/B pedal to send the electric sound toward an amp and the J200 to the Mixer.

What causes such a  différence between  the 700 and the JTV69 when I used the same mixer, and the same settings on the mixer ?

==> the string gauge.

The JVT69 was strung with a 10-42 Nickel  and my trusty 700  with 12-52 bronze.

If I use 12-52 on the SVT69 to get the real sound of The J200, I'm not able  anymore to bend my strings to play some Blues ou Rock chops.

I wanted to use only 1 guitar (like the Varaix) to play electric or acoustic with a really good sound.

Is there a way with the Monkey to say: There is a set of 10-42 strings on the guitar BUT when I select  The J200, make believe it's a set of 12-52 strings instead,

so that the sound going out of the J200 would improve drasticly ?

Thanks to you guys.

As you've discovered the light gauge strings tend to skew results.  Getting the most from the JTV acoustic sounds I find playing very light may help?  But even then, the modeling isn’t gonna be quite as “perfect†using a plain 3rd (G) string compared to the wound 3rd found on Acoustic 700.  

Is it passable?  In many contexts and cases, yes.  But it isn’t ideal.  

I suspect if you setup a JTV with same light acoustic strings the 700 uses, it would sound practically the same when played with the same physical touch.  But of course, good luck playing many "bending" electric style licks/riffs.  

Monkey / Workbench can't fool the piezos into feeling the physical vibration / resonance of heavier strings. It's the actual vibration that gives the acoustic dynamics / texture you want. I use Martin Darco Jazz Light (12 - 52 with wound .024 G) on my Variax 700 and JTV-59. For some reason they're easy playing despite the gauge and surprisingly bendable... more than any other 12 - 52 brands I've tried. They make the JTV-59 acoustic models sound very convincing, while also delivering a really solid rock crunch (IMO). It should be the same for your 69... though the Martins won't match the slink of 10 - 42s, you might be able to live with them. And if the .024 G string is too heavy, you could replace it with a D'Addario wound .021 G (sold individually). Anyway, Martins are not expensive so maybe worth a try.

BTW I also have a 700 acoustic and it's strung with Martin Flexible Core SP Light (12 - 54) phosphor bronze. Same story there... surprisingly bendable despite the gauge and very easy on the fingers.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

I actually got the same problem with JTV89F. I don't get the right acoustic sound using version 1.71 and the latest firmware. Although, 1.71 is better than the latest firmware still lacking the acoustic sound(muddy strumming). My variax 300 is better with acoustic than JTV but I just change my amplifier to FH1500 and updated the firmware to 2.22. All sounds great like a real acoustic guitar and loving it. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Got the same problem comparing the acoustic sound of my variax 300 vs JTV 89F with X3 Live using RJ45. JTV acoustic sounds are awful especially when strumming hard even downgrading the firmware to 1.7x. I was about to sell my JTV but gave it a chance by upgrading my gear to Firehawk 1500 / JTV firmware to 2.xx combination and I was surprised the sound is now way better than 300 plucking or strumming. I worked in IT and figured out that when creating new product sometimes going backward is limiting and not really an option as this will involved manufacturing cost. I guess when L6 created the JTV they didn't check the backward compatibility to an old gear like X3 so you really have to go HD. 

Try using a lighter pick with the acoustic models, especially when using light electric guitar strings. The pick interacts a lot with the piezo pickups and the pick material, thickness and shape can make a greater difference with Vairax models than it might with the usual magnetic pickups. Experiment to see what works for you, addressing feel, tone, picking speed, ability to hold between your fingers, etc.

• Upvote 1

I've concluded gentle/light finger picking is usually improvement in JTV59 Dreadnaught acoustic sound/behavior.  I like it better than practically any picked attack. 

Also might've found better picked tone using a thicker pick (coat button thick) struck very lightly?  Still comparing and working-out that one...