Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Specifically, how do I use snapshots to change programs on a Strymon?

spikey

Errr umm groveling and pleading time.  :D

Step by step please if you will.

How do I setup Snapshots on a footswitch (on Helix Controller), so that it will call up 2 different sounds (or more) from the same Strymon pedal per Helix patch?

Oh yea, Happy Thanksgiving!

Well, the first thing is you can't assign snapshots to a footswitch in Stomp Mode. You have to be either in snapshot mode or one of views of preset mode (4 snaps/4presets, 4 presets/4 snaps or 8 snapshots) that let you see snapshots to change snapshots. Then when you pick a snapshot to go to, the Instant Commands you have set up in the Command Center in that snapshot will be shot out.

So for this snapshot from one of my presets, I'm sending MIDI PC 4 on Channel 1 (the Mobius) and MIDI PC 19 on Channel 2 (the BigSky). You just have to go set these PCs for in the Command Center for each snapshot you want to have the external pedals change with.

Riwlmdz.jpg

USiH0nk.jpg

• Upvote 1

Ok and thanks for that! Can you (by doing what you did above) set up 2 snapshots on midi channel 1 for the Mobius and use two different settings (sounds) from the Mobius on that same Helix patch Phil? If not, then what does Line-6 need to add to the Midi commands to be able to do this?

Ok and thanks for that! Can you (by doing what you did above) set up 2 snapshots on midi channel 1 for the Mobius and use two different settings (sounds) from the Mobius on that same Helix patch Phil? If not, then what does Line-6 need to add to the Midi commands to be able to do this?

You can select up to 8 different presets from each external pedal per Helix preset this way if you want. You just have to go into the Command Center and change the PC# for the Instant Commands for each snapshot.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back into this after a bit- Life and work ..., sometimes takes me away from Helix...

Anyway, 

Phil (or anyone), In the above settings, do you have your Mobius on one FX-loop and your Big-Sky on another FX-loop, or do you have the "daisy chained" audio-wise thru one FX-loop?

Also. when I set up two (or more) "Snap-Shots" with different names on each one (and then go into the command center for snapshot #1 and set up the midi channel, Bank CC00, and Program #, and then save those settings to snapshot #1), when I goto snapshot #2 and change things (pedal programs) in the command center for that snapshot and then save it, when I go back into snapshot #1 it now shows what I just saved for snapshot #2???. In Other words, it saves the last command center settings for the snapshot that I am on,  and overwrites all other snapshots to the last settings saved. This cant be right...

If I can save different settings from my pedals per snapshot, what am I doing wrong then?

Once I figure all that out, then how do I "by-pass" settings then on Strymon pedals with a Helix controller (Rack and controller) ?

Edited: I see you are leaving the Midi CC#00 and Midi CC#32 off. I had the Midi CC#00 on because that is what Strymon talks about being the 1st 32 patches (or some such) and if you wanted to switch presets you needed that set to "0" and not off. Obviously. with Helix, you dont. I'm now being able to switch settings on Mobius using different Snapshots, but still working on how to "bypass" the sound from Mobius via midi entirely with Helix Command Center.

• 1 month later...

Playing with the bypass again- (since I dont know the CC # to turn off the Strymon pedals with), the cheap and dirty method for me was to set up a patch (I picked patch #0 on Mobius) and set the depth to 0 % (Zero setting), and then set any Snapshots that I didn't want an effect from Mobius on to go to that patch 0 in the command center. I even named that patch "Depth Set to 0" on Mobius... Mobius is actually "on" but with the depth set to "0" on this patch, you don't hear it and in effect bypassed. If there's a better way of doing this I'm all ears.  :D

I had the same question, and I think the answer was to use the CC# for the actual footswitch on the Strymon. But, if you are changing programs between snapshots, then you wouldn't necessarily know which footswtich to turn off in the snapshot you want it bypassed in. So I gave up and just bypassed the effect loop. Now that I think if it, I guess you could have three instant MIDI commands to turn all three footswitches off.

Playing with the bypass again- (since I dont know the CC # to turn off the Strymon pedals with), the cheap and dirty method for me was to set up a patch (I picked patch #0 on Mobius) and set the depth to 0 % (Zero setting), and then set any Snapshots that I didn't want an effect from Mobius on to go to that patch 0 in the command center. I even named that patch "Depth Set to 0" on Mobius... Mobius is actually "on" but with the depth set to "0" on this patch, you don't hear it and in effect bypassed. If there's a better way of doing this I'm all ears.  :D

The CC for bypass for the Mobius is CC#102. A value of 0 is bypass, and a value of 127 is engage.

Adding to this trial and error manual lol :lol: - Something else I just figured out that helped me a lot as far as configuring patches per SNAPSHOT stuff. Put the CC command (with midi channel#) to switch off and on the pedals FIRST in line, and then the Bank/Progam commands after that to pick the patches you want to use from the pedals. For example, on the instant 1, 2 and 3 slots I used the CC commands (#0 or #127)  and midi channel #1, channel #2, and channel #3 (3 pedals set to their own midi channel) first, for turning on or shutting off the pedals. The next three instant command slots are for the Bank/program commands (per midi channel) along with the number of the patch I wanted to use. Then all I had to do was change the CC command (on the right midi channel/pedal in focus) to 127 to turn it on, or 0 to turn it off per SNAPSHOT. Hope this makes some sense.  :)

I was doing something similar yesterday, using CC 102 in a Instant command in HX Edit and saw similar weirdness with values overwriting previous ones even though I saved the preset after every snapshot.

I found that I had Snapshot Edit set to Discard in the preferences, when I changed that it worked as expected.

Once I had the preset saved then it didn't matter what the setting was.

Craig

• 9 months later...

I have been having this exact same problem, and stumbled across something that seems like a little breakthrough to me (unless this is already being worked on).

I have a Timeline and a Bigsky daisy chained in one FX loop. They are set to MIDI channels 4 and 5 respectively.

In the preset I am setting up, I made two bypass toggle buttons on two footswitches using CC#102, dim value 0 and lit value 127. If I try to change snapshots, I get the aforementioned erratic behavior where on some snapshots, both are bypassed, on some only one is bypassed (but never the same one) and on some they are both engaged. I have tried to change snapshots both using the footswitches and using the dropdown menu inside HX Edit and it didn't matter.

So in an attempt to solve this, I did what people have already been trying, and sent out instant PC commands with every snapshot. I set the values properly for every snapshot, and then tried changing snapshots. The instant commands seem to work as they should, changing to the presets I have specified on the Strymon pedals, it would just be really unrealiable as to whether they were engaged or disengaged. But, and here's the breakthrough. I then tried to change the MIDI channel on the two bypass footswitches I had set up, and once I did, everything worked fine. Every snapshot loads up with the Strymon presets I specified in the instant command engaged, and I can use another CC instant command to disengage them on snapshots I want them to be disengaged.

This was weird, so I dropped the idea of a bypass toggle switch, and set it up so the Strymon presets were loaded in engaged mode, then tried to set up two footswitches to disengage them. I set up one footswitch for each pedal with CC#102 and a value of 0, which should disengage the pedal. I then tried to swap snapshots and the weird behavior was back.

So the conclusion to me seems to be that when you set up a footswitch to send any MIDI command, the Helix somehow sends that command, or some times sends that command, or some of those commands as if they were an instant command. And it does this in an erratic and consistently inconsistent way. That doesn't seem to be the intended behavior. Could this be a bug with the Strymon pedals?