Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix 2.30 update experience

EooN

Hey everyone! 

I just wanted to say thanks to the wonderful people at Line6 who worked on the update :) I am in love with how easy it is to update the unit now!

The process is dead simple, especially if you had your unit on 2.20 or 2.21. 

I haven't played any of the new models yet (my LT just finished updating and I'm about to take my guitar out of its case), but I really appreciate the fact that you guys keep adding more stuff to the unit for free

Also, the new editor looks slick :) Kinda tiny though, I wish you could resize it a bit... but hey - here's something to look for in future updates. 

Love ya, love the product. Cheers!

I have to agree!

It was super easy to do it.  Big thanks for the new Backup and Restore feature, so we don't lose global settings and IRs  :)

The actual update from 2.20 to 2.3 did take a fair old while - at some points I was worried it had frozen as the progress bar seemed stuck, but I just chilled and walked away and when I came back the bar had moved along a bit and then after the next walk away it finally finished.  I think it took about 20 minutes - perhaps even 30, which is way way longer than any update.

Good Job DI and the Helix team  :D

Hi, I can't download the update. Not via Firefox or edge or IE11. What's wrong with it?

You don't need to download the update, at least not directly. You just need to download the installer package for HX Edit. That will install HX Edit, Line 6 Updater and the Line 6 Drivers (if you're on a PC). After that, just run Line 6 Updater while the Helix is connected and it will download the flash file and send it to your Helix. One note - follow the instruction for creating a backup before running Line 6 Updater.

I have a show tomorrow night.  And I am at work right now.  Hmmm, should I just leave early and update then play through the night while adjusting for tomorrow night's performance ... OH YEA!!!

Very cool information here.  Thanks all and I will be watching Gelnn's video as well.

Just wondering if I have done something stupid? I updated from 2.12 to 2.30 on my LT. My presets seem to be all there but foot switches from 8 to 11 (A,B,C,D) for my snapshots  are no longer coloured or working (eg clean, crunch, drive, lead). I can change the snap shots in HX Edit on my computer but not on the device. Any way I can transfer snashots from HX Edit to my LT device so I can access them with out my computer? Am I missing something obvious? I've been really slack with updating due to using my Helix LT a lot on stage. I thought just using the update would be fine. I remember HX edit wouldn't let me back up my helix before I updated. Maybe should of done it in the old software first? I watched Glenn Delaune's video and got my firmware updated first like he said. Maybe should of gone 2.20 first then 2.30?

Cheers

Chris

post-1091449-0-71594400-1511571894_thumb.jpg

Just wondering if I have done something stupid? I updated from 2.12 to 2.30 on my LT. My presets seem to be all there but foot switches from 8 to 11 (A,B,C,D) for my snapshots  are no longer coloured or working (eg clean, crunch, drive, lead). I can change the snap shots in HX Edit on my computer but not on the device. Any way I can transfer snashots from HX Edit to my LT device so I can access them with out my computer? Am I missing something obvious? I've been really slack with updating due to using my Helix LT a lot on stage. I thought just using the update would be fine. I remember HX edit wouldn't let me back up my helix before I updated. Maybe should of done it in the old software first? I watched Glenn Delaune's video and got my firmware updated first like he said. Maybe should of gone 2.20 first then 2.30?

Cheers

Chris

Go into the Global setup. From there go to Footswitches and set your Preset Mode Switches. Sounds like you had it set to Stomp/Snap. It defaults to 8 Presets after the update.

You don't need to download the update, at least not directly. You just need to download the installer package for HX Edit. That will install HX Edit, Line 6 Updater and the Line 6 Drivers (if you're on a PC). After that, just run Line 6 Updater while the Helix is connected and it will download the flash file and send it to your Helix. One note - follow the instruction for creating a backup before running Line 6 Updater.

Hey man, just wondered.  Does the new backup/restore feature take care of the issue of having to number IRs, to get them to import in to the same location?

I guess what im asking is will the IRs import in the same order the were exported in, regardless of how they are numbered or alphabetized?

That would be big. A step in the right direction without doubt, because it open up 3 more characters for description of IRs. 

I would double check your output settings. I discovered that after the update my volume knob had been reassigned to "multi" when I had previously set it to affect only the 1/4 out. This made my XLR outs very low, which were the ones l was monitoring.

Thanks I’ll check them but it’s the tone or sound, it sounds just bad and I’m not the only one who’s had this issue.

Where else you seen people mention it? This is the first time I’ve seen it regarding this update.

Hi Phil,

On the Line 6 Worship Team users group on Facebook, there’s a few of us that have found the sound really bad and I tried to reset it back to 2.21 update and then have another go at updating again but it wouldn’t let me. Not sure what else I can do.

I’ve now updated back to 2.21 and re installed all presets and they all seem overly bright and brittle which I don’t recall them ever sounding that bad, some are actually completely unusable. I then re installed 2.30 which sounds as bright and brittle, I don’t think it’s my ears because the Helix has never sound bad from the day I purchased it. I’m not sure what’s wrong, the global eq doesn’t seem to do anything now, I have the low cut at 80 and the height cut set at 6 normally but on much higher settings as a test you can’t hear any changes!

Hi Phil,

On the Line 6 Worship Team users group on Facebook, there’s a few of us that have found the sound really bad and I tried to reset it back to 2.21 update and then have another go at updating again but it wouldn’t let me. Not sure what else I can do.

That's very odd.  I've pretty much checked most of my presets and other than having to restore some global 1/4 and xlr settings that weren't retained or restored correctly during backup, all of my presets sounded exactly the same.  It makes me wonder if some of the folks were using Global EQ and it didn't get restored correctly?  I never use it and do my EQ adjustments in each patch, but given the problems I encountered with restoring globals, it makes me wonder.....

Hi Phil,

This is almost certainly not an issue with the firmware update per se, but something in your Global Settings that got changed (back to default). For example, check your 1/4 and XLR output settings to see if they got switched from Line to Mic.

I have checked everything and put everything back to how I had it originally set up global before any updating. It is very odd but I’m not the only one finding it harsh several members of a Helix user group on Facebook reported the same issue yet others have had no sound or tone issues.