Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

IR Question

erniedenov

I heard one or two say that there is an advantage to 96k IRs, but ive yet to hear an audible difference.

I seriously doubt that. Given that IRs are probably recorded with a samplerate of 96 kHz or even more, the only question is what resamples them to the 48 kHz the Helix uses. If you want that to be done by HXedit, you should feed it the original files (or anything not 48 kHz), if you want to use whatever the IR manufacturer uses you should get the 48 kHz file from them. But in any case, the difference is either neglible or not even there as resampling isn't magic.

I know the ideal third party IR sample rate for Helix is 48.0 kHz, but what is the preferred length, 200 ms or 500 ms? I just got some from Celestion's Black Friday sale and the download came in both versions. 

Thanks in advance!

The Helix editor anyway will truncate the length of the IR to about 21 ms (if you use 1024 samples) or 43 ms (2048 samples), so you may want to start from the shortest one you have.

I seriously doubt that. Given that IRs are probably recorded with a samplerate of 96 kHz or even more, the only question is what resamples them to the 48 kHz the Helix uses. If you want that to be done by HXedit, you should feed it the original files (or anything not 48 kHz), if you want to use whatever the IR manufacturer uses you should get the 48 kHz file from them. But in any case, the difference is either neglible or not even there as resampling isn't magic.

Thats a great point man, that never occurred. Still Id have to agree that the difference is probably not worth the thought.

The Helix editor anyway will truncate the length of the IR to about 21 ms (if you use 1024 samples) or 43 ms (2048 samples), so you may want to start from the shortest one you have.

I think the conversions process truncates at 2048 samples, all of which gets used if you use a 2048-sample IR block. If you use a 1024-sample block, I don't the the IR itself is changed for later use, it's just that the block itself throws away the second half.

I've never heard any difference between 1024 and 2048 in Helix myself.

I think the conversions process truncates at 2048 samples, all of which gets used if you use a 2048-sample IR block. If you use a 1024-sample block, I don't the the IR itself is changed for later use, it's just that the block itself throws away the second half.

I've never heard any difference between 1024 and 2048 in Helix myself.

I agree 100%, including the negligible difference between the 1024 and 2048 samples version.