Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix 2.30 firmware failure - "Boot Failure. Entered update mode!"

JasonNorth

Hi,

I tried upgrading my line 6 helix which was on 2.20 to the 2.30 firmware.  I followed the instructions, installed HX edit, backed up then used Line6 updater to install firmware.  Progress went OK, it started to install the firmware but then failed with "Firmware Update Failed.  An error has occurred please try again" on the Line 6 Updater application.

I then followed the instructions about the USB and tried again - same problem.

I then followed the instructions about button 9+10 and tried again - same problem.

I then followed the instructions about button 6+12 and tried again - same problem.

I then tried using manually downloaded firmware rather than letting line6 updater download the firmware - same problem.

I am using Mac OS X 10.12.6

When I reboot helix now there is ":0" in the top left.  Firmware version 2.30 does come up but then it goes in to "Boot Failure.  Entered update mode!"

Helix is unusable for me now.

Does anybody have any ideas how to fix this please?

Thanks

Same happened to me. I assume it was some sort of USB error that caused it. I ended up rebooting my Mac. The next update (after rebooting) seemed to work, but then had the same message on rebooting. Tried again (probably about the 5th time at this stage), and it finally completed and booted successfully. Then did the factory reset just to be sure, and restored my backed up patches and IRs. 

Was on the edge of my seat for most of it. But, it's fine now. Never had a problem with previous updates or computer connection issues. But, who knows, maybe I bumped the cable or something was running in the background on the Mac when I did the first update that 'failed'. I wasn't using any other Helix, audio or MIDI software at the time (nothing running in the background either), but had a bunch of Safari browser windows open, so who knows.

I'm on a MacBook Pro from around 2013 with the latest version of OSX (10.13.1). But, I don't think this issue is OS related.

Came good in the end. So it's not a permanent failure mode.

(edit: I also changed to a shorter cable 'just in case' after the first failure, but it still failed a couple more times with the new cable until I rebooted the computer.)

@hal3001 nothing was connected via midi in.  I did forget to close all audio based applications when I first did the upgrade.  The only midi based app open was Anytune which accepts midi over usb but not midi clock as far as I know.  I was also connected to the helix via a powered usb hub.  After the initial failure I switched to direct connection to my mac and closed all other apps. 

@jnysen I must have tried 20 times after the initial failure including restarting my mac but your suggestion of changing USB cable has fixed my problem - many, many thanks!

In case it helps others this morning the first time I tried again I had the same problem.  I then tried again with a different and shorter USB cable and the upgrade worked first time.  The original cable works ok now with the HX app and it works with other devices but it seems it is no good for doing an upgrade.

thanks again for the help.

It's possible that the shielding on the longer cable is not adequate enough for the EMF noise in your vicinity. It is often surprising just how much noise the gear around us spews out in the EM spectrum and it can wreak havok on poorly shielded signal cables like this.

It seems the update process is more sensitive to cable issues than other types of USB traffic. Maybe the update protocol doesn't have as robust error checking/retry logic as regular USB class comms.

Long cables are not just more susceptible to EMI and other interference, they can generate their own due to current/ground 'loops' in the cable shield. USB is balanced, but not all transceiver circuitry is created equal, and most USB devices are powered with no avenue for ground loops, whereas the Helix has it's own ground, and so does the Mac. So it is possible there is some high frequency leakage through the grounds causing some level of noise to degrade the signal. Not enough to notice during normal use, but enough to upset the more fragile update protocol of the Helix. Some cables may also be marginal due to a non-ideal characteristic impedance causing signal distortion/reflections of the digital signal - not bad enough for total failure, but enough to cause problems once noise is added to the signal. Just as computers and devices aren't all ideal, not all cables are perfect either, especially when it comes to the high bandwidth 480MHz digital signalling with high frequency spectral content into the GHz range.

Luckily the simple solution of a short cable works here. I'll remember that the next time I do an update. The normal cable I use between the Helix and Mac clearly didn't make the cut either.

I had the same thing. I believe the original USB connector was an issue. So I switched it,  then ran the update again. Several times until it worked.

I didn't have any new presets showing though, so I did a factory reset & then they were there! And I never loaded my backed up User presets in - they were there all the time

• 1 month later...

I had a very similar issue.  Windows 7 machine.  Upgrading my brand new Helix to 2.30.

1. Had to plug it into a USB port on the back of the computer. Essentially, a USB port soldered on to the motherboard of the PC.
  2. With Line 6 updater, "choose file" option would leave this thing in boot failure.  So I had the Line 6 Updater download the data.

Once it was successful.  The update automatically restarted the Helix, and then the Helix ran through a process where it seemed to go through every factory preset.

My takeaway?  Updating firmware is not for the faint of heart.

• 2 weeks later...

I had similar issues a few times, throughout some of the various updates.

the quick fix for me was simply fire up a nearby laptop and get it done. 

be sure you have the latest updater as well... the updater versions can be very sensitive to the OSX version.

I had the same problem with a previous update.  I was using the a USB port on the front of my desktop PC. Called Line 6 support and they suggest using a USB port connected directly to motherboard i.e the back of the PC.  Plugged cable into back of PC and updated without any problem.  For the 2.30 I used the USB port in back of PC and had no problems. Long story short try using a USB port connected directly to your motherboard.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Dear fellow musicians,

I got my Helix LT last week. Did two gigs in the weekend and thought to update the software now. The screen went into "Boot Failure.  Entered update mode!" -mode. So, after  reading tips and rebooting maybe 95 times, buying one new USB cable, changing the usb-ports - nothing worked. Uninstalled the Helix Edit & Updater as well. Until, I tryed "honestOpinion´s link https://helixhelp.com/reset-options/.

From all data I tried without any expectations boot once again the Helix LT, but now pressured 6&12 (closest ones to helix pedal) and it changed everything. Light has arrived. Spring has come. I am strong!

I update the firmware trought Line 6 Updater and it took about 15 mins that LT also run the updated programming in itself.

So, the 6&12 was the trick in my case.

Hopefully helps someone.

On 4/30/2018 at 8:39 AM, Heze007 said:

Dear fellow musicians,

I got my Helix LT last week. Did two gigs in the weekend and thought to update the software now. The screen went into "Boot Failure.  Entered update mode!" -mode. So, after  reading tips and rebooting maybe 95 times, buying one new USB cable, changing the usb-ports - nothing worked. Uninstalled the Helix Edit & Updater as well. Until, I tryed "honestOpinion´s link https://helixhelp.com/reset-options/.

From all data I tried without any expectations boot once again the Helix LT, but now pressured 6&12 (closest ones to helix pedal) and it changed everything. Light has arrived. Spring has come. I am strong!

I update the firmware trought Line 6 Updater and it took about 15 mins that LT also run the updated programming in itself.

So, the 6&12 was the trick in my case.

Hopefully helps someone.

Thanks for letting us know what worked. Definitely helpful to others with the same issue.

• 3 months later...

Hi all

First time LT user here attempting to upgrade from firmware version 2.30 to 2.60, immediately after purchase. Tried all the above options on Computer 1 (Win 7 SP2) with different cables in different ports and also, as suggested by Support team and the FAQ links, combinations of FS9/10 AND FS6/12. The switch combinations for reset did nothing on the display and several attempts at install from the Updater (which indicated I was already at 2.60 from several previous failed attempts!!!!) failed.

So I switched cables to an old ACER laptop also with Win 7/SP2 and installed the HX software. The first attempt failed and then with a an FS6/FS12 combination (which did NOTHING obvious on the display as bogus characters still displayed) I tried again and it worked!!!

I have no idea if the FS options actually do anything to enable the update or if this is purely a USB/Cable issue

Has anybody had a definite answer on what the cause of the issue is (which appears to be going for some time now) and if it will be addressed?

6 hours ago, AndyDSA said:

Has anybody had a definite answer on what the cause of the issue is (which appears to be going for some time now) and if it will be addressed?

I think the cause is just general USB variability from system to system. It could be just about anything, really. From what I’ve seen the majority of the USB communication issues with the Helix seem to happen with Windows 7 and newer Macs. Why that is, I don’t know.

• 1 year later...

Fail to update firmware and computer froze at 33%.  Bricked the HelixFloor.

I've just had this happen on 2.90 -> 2.92 update.  Crashed halfway through the update and bricked the Helix Floor.

The solution seems to be:

Boot the Helix Floor with FS6 & FS12.

Run the Helix Installer (and downlaod the appropriate firmware).  In my case 2.92

Install HXedit appropriate to the firmware (2.92)

Seems to be up and running again !!!

BTW, the reason I updated from 2.90 to 2.92 is that my master volume control would not work!!!  Damn software !!!

I just had this problem. I deleted the new HX Edit and re downloaded it several times. I reinstalled the installer swell on the Mac OS version. After all that, I tried the usb cable that was provided and I also switched to the usb that came with my Scarlett and that also did not work. last ditch effort, I went and grabbed the old usb B from my printer and then closed the installed and then booted the helix while holding 6 and 12 which I tried a million times before with no luck. Finally with this old cable, I opened the installer after turning on the helix with he new/old cable, my helix showed up on the list of devices in the installer. after that I clicked it and it all worked. I think it was the cables. Maybe I just didn't try to force close the installer app and try it again. either way 5 hours later I got it to work