Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

EP boost

steelstringer

Good question.  It sounds to my ears like the 3dB boost.

it think the two on/off options are modeled after the internal dip switches. One goes from Unity Gain to 3dB boost and the other is a "bass" on/off - if I remember correctly.    The three parameters on the "Kinky boost" model are the single gain/level pot, and the two dip switches.

I have had both versions of the EP boost and this one sounds to my ears to be more similar to the newest version.  I tried it in a number of patches as both an "always on" adds "air and tube-iness" AND as a lead boost switchable pedal. It sounds just like the real pedal in both roles to me.  in some cases, it's even better, because the real pedal has a "boominess" or low end that I sometimes couldn't tame enough... the Helix model seems to not have that - very subtle, but it seems more neutral

Good question.  It sounds to my ears like the 3dB boost.

it think the two on/off options are modeled after the internal dip switches. One goes from Unity Gain to 3dB boost and the other is a "bass" on/off - if I remember correctly.    The three parameters on the "Kinky boost" model are the single gain/level pot, and the two dip switches.

I have had both versions of the EP boost and this one sounds to my ears to be more similar to the newest version.  I tried it in a number of patches as both an "always on" adds "air and tube-iness" AND as a lead boost switchable pedal. It sounds just like the real pedal in both roles to me.  in some cases, it's even better, because the real pedal has a "boominess" or low end that I sometimes couldn't tame enough... the Helix model seems to not have that - very subtle, but it seems more neutral

Yeah i really dig this pedal. Never owned the real thing, but somehow on the helix, it makes things my presets sound more analog. It doesnt often work in a preset(yet) but when it does, its like the second coming of god :)

That's what the real pedal does, as well.  Even with a nice tube rig, I kept one of these early in my pedal chain to give everything an "open and airy" tone.  "more analog" sounds about right.    

I also used this extensively when I tried several different solid-state amps and it really made a difference in those as well, so I'm not surprised that it has this impact in Helix.  Pretty much every preset I build now will have this at the beginning - and possibly at the end as a lead boost, too.  Works great for that.

Thanks for the feedback. So far, the best placement for a clean lead boost for me is directly after the amp and right before the cab/ir. For whatever reason, it sounds noisy at the very end of the chain, which is where I thought it would end up. This is a nice addition to the already awesome bank of OD pedals.

I thought the MicroAmp was just a clean boost, with a possible impedance buffering effect, depending on your guitar electronics, cables, and other pedals in your chain. Don't think it does anything mystical.

True, thats how it was described and marketed. But the reality is that it does add air and a bit of girth to the sound. Nothing mystical there.

I think the most fantastic combination is the EP boost in front of a Klon into the amp of your choice.    Amp tweaked to give great clean or cleanish grind...  EP boost with Boost "on" and  Bright "off" (unless it's a very dark amp) and set to about 2ish on the gain... KLON (Minotaur) set at lower gain settings and volume/tone to taste.... then, add a controller or 2nd snapshot to goose the EP  up to about 4-5 and the Klon's drive setting up a few notches... and for kicks, bump the amp's mids up a couple of notches...  then hold on.  Ha  

but seriously, those two pedal models a nearly perfect models of the real things.  The way they push a small tweed amp or add major girth and grind to a Marshall or Vox works in Helix very much like they do in the real world.    That says more to me about the fidelity of the amp models on Helix than anything else... the interaction between different components seems to be very realistic. 

I think the most fantastic combination is the EP boost in front of a Klon into the amp of your choice.    Amp tweaked to give great clean or cleanish grind...  EP boost with Boost "on" and  Bright "off" (unless it's a very dark amp) and set to about 2ish on the gain... KLON (Minotaur) set at lower gain settings and volume/tone to taste.... then, add a controller or 2nd snapshot to goose the EP  up to about 4-5 and the Klon's drive setting up a few notches... and for kicks, bump the amp's mids up a couple of notches...  then hold on.  Ha  

but seriously, those two pedal models a nearly perfect models of the real things.  The way they push a small tweed amp or add major girth and grind to a Marshall or Vox works in Helix very much like they do in the real world.    That says more to me about the fidelity of the amp models on Helix than anything else... the interaction between different components seems to be very realistic. 

Clips please!

Okay... VERY quickly, just built this preset, set up Helix into Garage Band, raw, single track, FULL OF CLAMS (so make fun all you wish)...  No enhancements at all other than the 'verb and delay I used in building the patch.

it's a Trainwreck (Derailed Ingrid) into a Zbest (2X12 Interstate) with a 57 at 2.5".  EP Boost (Kinky Boost) is on all the time.  Initially, the clip is clean...  EP is at 0.7 gain, Boost ON, Bright ON.  Amp at 0.1 gain Bass 2.7, Mids 4.5, Treble 8.6.  Using my Rocketfire Tele with Arcane Pickups on the middle position. I switch to neck and then bridge near the end of the clean part.

At about time 0:19 the EP is bumped up to about 2.4 gain, Amp  gain to 1.0, Bass stays the same, mids up to 7.9, Treble up to 9.2.  Start on Bridge Pickup, then to Neck.

At time 0:38 Klon kicks in Gain at 7.7, tone at 6.9, level at 5.8. Amp gain up to 2.6 bass down to 2.6.  Also switch to Bridge Pickup at the start of this section.

At 1:30, I shift to a snapshot with more ambience....  and a little more gain.  Amp goes up to 2.6 Gain, Treble down to 8.2 Mids/Bass stay the same. EP boost gain up to 3.2 gain. Klon gain to 5.4.  the Delay (transistor tape) is bump up in mix and time and the reverb ('63 spring) mix comes down a bit. Pickup changes throughout. 

MASSIVE clam at time 1:21 is my fumble-fingers, NOT an electronic artifact (although it sounds like one... Ha ha)

https://soundcloud.com/geno-13/ep_klon_trnwrk 

Okay... VERY quickly, just built this preset, set up Helix into Garage Band, raw, single track, FULL OF CLAMS (so make fun all you wish)...  No enhancements at all other than the 'verb and delay I used in building the patch.

it's a Trainwreck (Derailed Ingrid) into a Zbest (2X12 Interstate) with a 57 at 2.5".  EP Boost (Kinky Boost) is on all the time.  Initially, the clip is clean...  EP is at 0.7 gain, Boost ON, Bright ON.  Amp at 0.1 gain Bass 2.7, Mids 4.5, Treble 8.6.  Using my Rocketfire Tele with Arcane Pickups on the middle position. I switch to neck and then bridge near the end of the clean part.

At about time 0:19 the EP is bumped up to about 2.4 gain, Amp  gain to 1.0, Bass stays the same, mids up to 7.9, Treble up to 9.2.  Start on Bridge Pickup, then to Neck.

At time 0:38 Klon kicks in Gain at 7.7, tone at 6.9, level at 5.8. Amp gain up to 2.6 bass down to 2.6.  Also switch to Bridge Pickup at the start of this section.

At 1:30, I shift to a snapshot with more ambience....  and a little more gain.  Amp goes up to 2.6 Gain, Treble down to 8.2 Mids/Bass stay the same. EP boost gain up to 3.2 gain. Klon gain to 5.4.  the Delay (transistor tape) is bump up in mix and time and the reverb ('63 spring) mix comes down a bit. Pickup changes throughout. 

MASSIVE clam at time 1:21 is my fumble-fingers, NOT an electronic artifact (although it sounds like one... Ha ha)

https://soundcloud.com/geno-13/ep_klon_trnwrk 

(nobody ever knows it's a clam unless you tell them so (not that I ever heard it), otherwise, they think it's creative genius!)

Thanks for the clip... It's always a huge help to actually hear what someone is trying to describe with words.

I have the EP boost on my board. The three pedals I haven’t been able to give up are the EP, Drop, and my Möbius.

I’ve been A/B’ing the new kinky against my EP, and I like it. Not ready to pull it off my board yet, but it could happen.

Really digging the Kinky, Minotaur, derailed.

• 9 months later...

I'm very fan of the Kinky boost !

Cleans are pure magic tone, really.

After OD pedal, the Kinky booster, well, boosts the volume mainly. It tends to clean the tone up, which  becomes more touch sensitive.

I tried it with my HX effects after the SD-9 simulation. It works great to remove fuzziness

I don't use it before the OD or distortion : In this case, it adds distortion.

Kinky boost may be used to accommodate different amps and give nice basic tone and touch.

If your amp is too bright, remove the bright option of the Kinky boost.

If the amp runs hot enough, no need of the boost option of the kinky boost.

On 9/14/2018 at 10:02 AM, njglover said:

From the EP Booster manual, the switches are for a +3 dB boost and a bright switch.

That is exactly what it was intended to do.....+3db boost and bright switch to give more presence to your tone