Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

2.30 Update and Patches

gbr13697

I followed the advice to install the new Editor first, do a backup, and then update the Helix firmware.  I expected to have to restore all my patches, having regard to not overwriting the new Factory patch set list.  However, when my Helix rebooted, all my User Set lists and patches were still there.  I have the new amps and pedals, but I am not sure if the Factory 1 Set list has changed as I can't remember what was in there before.

I am assuming that this is because I haven't done a Factory Reset after the firmware upgrade.  Is this an essential/advised step?  The Helix seems to be functioning perfectly, so why should I need to wipe everything just to put it all back again?  It obviously is not the firmware upgrade itself that wipes all the user patches and just updates the Factory Set list - it must be the Factory Reset that does this.  But is the Factory Reset necessary?

The "rebuilding patches" part of the download/reboot simply rebuild your User Patches, but not the Factory presets.  When you do the "Restore" function, AFTER the download of the new firmware, you'll have the option to "restore" your old factory presets or leave it as-is from the 2.30 firmware download.  If you want to keep the "new" factory presets, do not select the option to "restore" factory presets... you can choose to restore ONLY the "user" and "IR" lists.  If you just do a blanket restore (as I did), it restores everything, include overwriting the new factory presets with the old ones you had.  It does this, I presume, because some people use the factory presets and may have tweaked them.   

I have now found some notes that indicate you only have to do a Factory Reset if you are updating firmware earlier than 2.2.  However the notes for updating 2.2 still say you should restore all the patch lists, but not restore Factory 1 if you want to keep the new patches. My confusion arises from the fact that all my patches are still on the Helix, without restoring anything.  I can see the wisdom of doing a backup before an upgrade,but not in restoring afterwards if it is not necessary.  The 2.30 firmware update DID NOT wipe all my user patches - they are all still there without restoring.