Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Anyone Using DMXIS with Helix for Lighting controll

guitarnstuff

Let me explain my rig. I am using a Mac OSX laptop with Line6 Helix as the audio interface for Mainstage 3.1.1 with softsynths driven by a Fishman Tripleplay midi guitar controller. This is a rock solid setup which performs without glitches (knock on wood). Even after the 2.30 update. I just introduced DMXIS lighting controller and software to the mix. I am hoping to control our bands lighting. For example, lighting programs will switch via midi when I step on a snapshot.

I set up and used Mac IAC driver and chose the driver within DMXIS software. This configuration caused my Helix to intermittently lock up to the point of needing a restart. So I tried choosing (with DMXIS) both IAC and Helix. This also caused lock ups as well as doubling the tempo bmp reading within DMXIS. I even tried not using IAC and sending banks and preset messages straight from my Helix Command Center to DMXIS (without IAC checked). In all combos I have intermittent lockups of my Helix OR strange bank behavior within DMXIS in which the banks switch properly but then immediately switches to and sticks on bank three. 

So, I also tried to set up using DMXIS plugin within Mainstage. The presets do not save appropriately within the Mainstage patches. I also have intermittent freezes in this regard. 

I even tried only DMXIS and Helix together (not booting up Mainstage). Helix still has intermittent freezes when connected to DMXIS. It seems as the two started off to a horrible relationship.

I have poured about 15 hours of problem solving time into this over my Thanksgiving Holiday. I'm out of ideas. Anyone that is using DMXIS with Helix or Mainstage or has strong midi knowledge, please help. Thank you!

I've seen this before. You probably have a MIDI feedback loop somehow between the computer and the Helix, such that whenever a MIDI instruction like a note on or program change is sent, it goes round and round in infinite copies, which quickly overwhelms the Helix's MIDI processing and causes a hang. If I recall, I fixed it by disabling MIDI Thru in Global Settings; not sure though, that was a long time ago.

I can't give much more advice without knowing a lot more details about your exact setup EDIT: MIDI signal path. I'm not clear on why Mainstage and DMXIS would need to talk to each other through IAC at all in your setup, for example.

I've seen this before. You probably have a MIDI feedback loop somehow between the computer and the Helix, such that whenever a MIDI instruction like a note on or program change is sent, it goes round and round in infinite copies, which quickly overwhelms the Helix's MIDI processing and causes a hang. If I recall, I fixed it by disabling MIDI Thru in Global Settings; not sure though, that was a long time ago.

I can't give much more advice without knowing a lot more details about your exact setup EDIT: MIDI signal path. I'm not clear on why Mainstage and DMXIS would need to talk to each other through IAC at all in your setup, for example.

Thanks mdmayfield. I have tried with MIDI Thru both on and off. Still having issues. I have also tried with PC repeat on and off (I think that is what it is called in 2.30 but I am not next to Helix at moment. I would love to have a tool to check and or control the flow of MIDI within my Mac but I am not aware of the best and most cost effective solution. Any suggestions?

OK, I'm probably wrong about the MIDI Thru option then; it was one of many things I tried but I don't remember the whole story.

Otherwise, regarding your MIDI signal path, the first thing I'm wondering is, where exactly does IAC come in here? It seems to me that there are 2 separate signal paths here that don't need to (and shouldn't) interact at all:

1. Fishman USB dongle ----MIDI notes and patch changes----> Mainstage --> audio signal

2. Helix ----MIDI notes----> DMXIS software --> DMX lighting control

Neither of those should involve IAC; introducing IAC may well be what's causing the feedback loop. Also I don't believe DMXIS uses MIDI Bank or Program Change messages; the only way I've ever used it is to send MIDI Note Ons on channel 15 to select a bank, and Note Ons on channel 16 to choose the scene within that bank. Maybe they added Program Change support since I used it.

Either way, you can get deeper visibility into what's going on by using a program called MIDI Monitor. It's free to use and you can find it here: https://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/

Hi,

Maybe this is off-topic but check: www.dmxformusicians.com

About a year ago I was also looking for a way to control lighting from Helix. I didn't find what I was looking for so I decided to embrace the DIY approach.

Things evolve a bit. Now, I am about to launch a crowdfunding campaign to take this into production.

regards,

Ricardo

Hi

Not sure if it helps you any but DMXIS and Helix can play very nicely on a Windows 10 laptop with no other programs or interfaces. I have it set up to do pretty much what you want ie use snapshot changes to trigger change of lighting presets in DMXIS. I also have a separate fottswitch pluggged in to the DMXIS jack input so I can also just change to the next lighting preset without having to change snapshots. This gives you the option to have more lighting presets than Helix snapshots.

Unfortunately I can't really advise on your setup on Mac. I know there was one midi instruction that had to be altered as a global on Helix but it may have been something you have already done. The Helix by default is set up to send a midi command everytime you change preset or snapshot [i think] and this has to be disabled to allow your commands to work correctly. It was a while ago and I can't remember clearly but if you haven't done that let me know and I'll go onto my Helix and try and find it.