Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Questions before I Buy

ADubois75

Hey everyone, I’ve been looking through the forum for awhile but haven’t found the answer to a few questions I have. As the title says, I’m looking to buy the Helix Floor model! I’m a worship leader at my church so that’s where I’m going to be playing mainly.

1st question: reading through all the forums here, I’ve learned that a FRFR speaker is the best way to play with the helix. Is there any way to get a FRFR personal speaker (like a DXR8) and maybe run the Helix XLR out to it, but still have it through the church’s PA system? Maybe use the 1/4†out to the sound board. Sorry if this is a stupid question, I’m not an expert in this area

2nd question: I know the differences between the Helix and the Helix LT, but are those differences really worth paying the extra $500 for?

I have a few other questions I’ll add later, I just can’t think of them at the moment. Thank you ahead of time!

If you're using a single speaker (mono) you'll be using the LEFT/MONO output. The DXR8, and most other PA type powered speakers, have an XLR "THRU" jack which you can take direct to the board.

As for whether or not the full Helix floor model is worth $500 more than the LT, it totally depends on your needs. You should DL the manuals and compare features online. Do you need the additional routing options? Are you using the Editor to create your sounds, and only making minor adjustments on the fly? If I only knew then and IF both had been available, I'd probably have gone for the LT.

I think most of us use our 1/4 L/Mono output to go to our personal stage monitors and then use the XLR L/Mono output to go to the board.  There are several reasons for this.  First, XLR is the preferred method for going long distances since there's less likelihood of noise or interference on the line.  This makes more sense as your distance to your stage monitor should be quite short.  Also sound boards are normally designed to use XLR inputs.

The way I set mine up is I configure my 1/4 to use the Helix master volume at line level, and the XLR to not use the master volume and use a Mic level signal in my global settings.  I run a short 1/4" output cable from my L/Mono 1/4" output to my DXR12.  I use a phantom power blocker on my L/Mono XLR out to a XLR cable to the board.  This ensures I don't affect the Helix if phantom power happens to be turned on for my channel at the board.  This setup also allows me to control the volume to my stage monitor (using the Helix master volume) without affecting the signal that goes to the board.  This makes it much easier for the sound personnel to keep my signal mixed appropriately.

I personally use a full Helix floorboard.  Of course when I bought mine there was no Helix LT.  But I did end up buying a second full Helix floorboard even after the Helix LT was introduced as a backup unit as well as an interface to my DAW and recording environment at home.  The main consideration really is the additional inputs and controls that drive this decision.  In my case I use the Aux input for my acoustic guitar.  I also use the input loop for my keyboard occasionally.  The headphone output control is an absolutely essential feature for recording.  The other main consideration for me was the durability of the full Helix.  It's simply built to take more punishment...not that I'm all that hard on my units, but I really depend on this thing week after week and can't afford to be babying it.