Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HELIX to L3T via L6 LINK - TRYING TO GET GOOD LIVE TONES

Deviltrex101

Hi Guys,

I've a new rig I'm setting up at present.

I'm running a ESP EC1000 into the Helix guitar in then L6 Link cable to L3T speaker. (PA Reference Setting)

We play most rock & metal covers and I'm struggling to get good full body tones from my new rig.  This is due to my lack of experience with the Helix for sure.

I've bought and downloaded Ownhammer & 3 Sigma IRs, also Glenn Delaune's Hi Gain pack.  All of which have improved the sound but I think my overall EQ is my issue and I'm looking for anyone with a similar rig for an assist.  I've seen nearly every video on Youtube which deals closely with this but I think if someone with 1st hand experience would comment it would be a massive help.

Any info regarding this issue would be most appreciated.

Many users looking for a decent sound found a way by using the Gobal EQ to cut off the low and hight frequenzies. You can choose which output the EQ is working on (XLR, 1"4, or both - and it always works on the phones output)  But to my knowledge and experience, the global EQ does NOT affect the L6 Link!  Which makes it impossible to do something "global"  using this Link and the sound will be very harsh (to my ears at least).

If you dont' need the additional inputs at the LT3, you can use them and send the signal via one of the normal outputs from Helix to LT3 and try to create "your" sound by using the Global EQ in Helix + the EQ on the LT3. This worked very well for me. Plus you can adjust the sound depending on the location you play or depending if you use the LT3 as your monitor or for the audience sound.

Hi there. I am pretty much in the same boat as you.....but I use the helix with 2 L2T speakers and have great luck getting good thick rock metal tones live. But it took some tweaking and there is a, learning curve. I find the PV and Soldano amps are a bit high endy...and recently started using the modded JCM 800 (2204) amp model more for rock and metal tones. The biggest thing I found was finding the right IR. I LOVE 3 Sigma IRs and use them all the time, have several of them. My current fav is the Marshal 251 (V30) IR, and find the ACE 2A one works best for me. But I should also not I am cutting the high end out in the IR high filter back big time to get rid of all fizz and grainy artifacts.

Really depends on what guitar I am using how much I have to cut highs, and a matter of finding the right balance between getting amp EQ setting right so the tone isn't dull and lifeless without being ear piercing. But believe me it can be done!

Check out the Helix Channel on YouTube the guy there does some excellent EQ 101 tutorials :)

Add a hi cut / low cut block near the end of the signal chain and tweak to taste- sort of simulates the global eq, you want to create more mid focus; by cutting high and low frequencies. Also, the L3 are set up with a crossover to send low frequencies to the bottom speaker and everything else to the upper speaker and tweeter. Would be killer to be able to set that crossover frequency to feed more of the signal to the lower speaker!

Maybe mess with the high and low cut in IR's or cabs, then add more to end of signal chain if you need to.

Make sure you are tweaking at gig volumes and in the context of the music you are playing.  Unless your drummer and bass player are really patient, you may want to record their parts, then record your own playing in a separate track using using USB 7 to get the dry, then loop it all, running the dry track through your helix and tweak to fit.

A tone that sounds great on its own could get lost in the mix, while one that sounds shrill on its own cuts through and sounds great in the context of the band.

[quote name="rbum" post="235583" timestamp="1511781391"  But to my knowledge and experience, the global EQ does NOT affect the L6 Link!  Which makes it impossible to do something "global"  using this Link and the sound will be very harsh (to my ears at least).

Good info as I use the L6 Link. Can anyone confirm this? Also, how are you cabling to the L2T?

Thank you. I’ve read the the GLobal EQ is not needed with an FRFR speaker such as the L2T. (I’m sure it isn’t as binary as that sounds and has applications).

So given one my want control for room dynamics (and other instruments), is there a case to be made to not use L6 Link? What are the advantages to having it?

Sure, there is a case to be made to not use L6 Link.

Yes - Allows you to send the stereo signal with one cable to one speaker, and if you want to split it, then use the L6 Link out to another speaker from speaker one.  Eases cable usage and there are, I think, fewer D/A / A/D / etc. conversions (L6 Link is digital, and the L2 is digital at heart, IOW, I'm pretty sure there is an A/D/A conversion on the analog inputs of the L2 / L3 series.  So through L6 Link, you're sending the digital signal to the Stagesource, and then the Stagesource is going straight D / A, so there's no D/A- A/D/A conversion)

No - You can run either XLR or 1/4 to either the mixer panel on the L2t and eq it there, or into the line in on 1 or 2 speakers, and then use global eq

Mostly, it's a Line 6 of this, half dozen of that decision process...

One thing about FRFR speakers (and PA's etc.).  Given they have multiple horns/speakers, you have stand quite a bit further away from them than you do with an amp to get the full signal that they are putting out so the different sound streams can combine appropriately.

Thank you. I’ve read the the GLobal EQ is not needed with an FRFR speaker such as the L2T. (I’m sure it isn’t as binary as that sounds and has applications).

So given one my want control for room dynamics (and other instruments), is there a case to be made to not use L6 Link? What are the advantages to having it?

Sure, there is a case to be made to not use L6 Link.

Yes - Allows you to send the stereo signal with one cable to one speaker, and if you want to split it, then use the L6 Link out to another speaker from speaker one.  Eases cable usage and there are, I think, fewer D/A / A/D / etc. conversions (L6 Link is digital, and the L2 is digital at heart, IOW, I'm pretty sure there is an A/D/A conversion on the analog inputs of the L2 / L3 series.  So through L6 Link, you're sending the digital signal to the Stagesource, and then the Stagesource is going straight D / A, so there's no D/A- A/D/A conversion)

No - You can run either XLR or 1/4 to either the mixer panel on the L2t and eq it there, or into the line in on 1 or 2 speakers, and then use global eq

Mostly, it's a Line 6 of this, half dozen of that decision process...

The analog inputs to the L3t do go into an ADC, so there is an extra D -> A -> D step using the analog outs of the Helix and analog ins of the L3t.

Digital signals are probably less susceptible to noise pickup.

The L6 Link does bypass the feedback suppression of the L3t, so if you need that (acoustic guitar, running vocals through the Helix?) just know that it won't happen over L6 Link.

For me, the L6 Link is great if you're running multiple compatible speakers.