Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Ok, so I’m beginning to reconsider.

hideout

Well, I updated from 2:10 (never bothered with 2:11). No hitches; in fact updating is a lot easier than it was previously! I was once bitten twice shy from the very first time I updated Helix; lost a bunch of my presets. But I figure the best way to overcome your fears is to face them. I've updated twice since that first time with no problems. Just don't export and import bundles; I think that's what went wrong that first time. I save and import by individual preset now just to be safe but doing it by setlist is probably fine.

So far I've updated my two Helix units and the whole process is incredibly smooth.  Just follow the directions.

The only issues I've run into on either update were some anomalies caused (I think) by the new backup/restore utility.  Neither of them were very concerning, but just be prepared for them.  In both updates my global settings were messed with a bit.  The USB in 1/2 Destination was changed to '5'...which is not even a valid selection.  Because of that the Helix wouldn't produce sound coming from the computer.  I just set it to the default of 1/4" and all was well.  It also didn't seem to backup and restore the settings I had for 1/4" Outputs, XLR Outputs, or Volume Knob Controls.  Thankfully I knew what these were set to and reset them manually.  The only other oddity was that the configuration states on my Footswitches wasn't preserved so I had to reset that.

Everything else from the backup/restore seemed to work fine (presets, IRs, etc.), but I've lost a LOT of confidence in the backup/restore utility and I'm not sure I'd bet my life on it right now until I hear more from Line 6.  I'll just continue to use the export/import facilities as those are all clearly fine.

For me it was worth it for the EP Boost and ES Compressor. Love them. The editor is much better too. Updating is painless, just backup individual presets since you are on 2.11. After you make the jump, then you can just do full backups. 

For me it was worth it for the EP Boost and ES Compressor. Love them. The editor is much better too. Updating is painless, just backup individual presets since you are on 2.11. After you make the jump, then you can just do full backups. 

Agree with this. The update is a definite improvement. You will not be disappointed. 

Ok, thanks guys. I’ll have to just fight off the desire to experiment too much as that’s what I tend to do when there are new amps and effects. I don’t have time for that rabbit hole right now. But I want the new toys available when time frees up.

Seriously though, the sound of the old patches aren’t adversely affected by the update?

For me the update was very smooth and easier than any of the others. As far as changes go, I typically touch up my basic goto patches with each update. For this one, I change compressor, Wah and my high gain patch to use Cartographer. These are not big changes that are going to significantly change my patches. Rather they are small incremental improvements over what was already just fine.

Spent all morning yesterday with the Derailed Ingrid, that alone is worth the upgrade. Gonna start spending time with the Cartographer and EP stuff today.  

Funny, I tried building a high gain lead patch with that Trainwreck model but as much as I liked it, it didn't surpass my Archetype lead patch. Then I turned the drive down substantially and got the best semi-dirt blues tone I've gotten yet. Versatile amp model!