Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV69 Model Selector Switch not working with Helix 2.30

artbraun

I have a very strange problem that has surfaced after the Helix 2.30 upgrade.

And everything worked with the last version of firmware which was version 2.21.

I have a JTV69 at firmware revision 2.22, Helix Floor now at 2.30, and the new 2.30 HX Editor. The Helix upgrade to Version 2.30 worked fine without a hitch.

But now the 5-position model selector switch no longer changes guitar models on my JTV69.

Interestingly - the bank select knob works. But not the 5 position switch. If I am at preset 1-3 on the Variax and change banks - I get preset 2-3 correctly for example.

But trying to use the 5-position switch inside a bank does not work.

This all happens when using the JTV connected to the Helix with the VDI cable

SO ---- to make surety JTV was ok

I tested the guitar with my old HD500 - everything works fine. Using the same VDI cable

Tested the guitar with my Firehawk  floor board. Using the same VDI cable - everything worked fine

I put a battery in the guitar and connected with an old tech guitar cable - everything works fine.

I have concluded from this that the JTV is fine.

Also - if I start Workbench HD or the HX editor or both - I can force model changes on the guitar connected with VDI to the Helix by double clicking on the model in Workbench HD or changing it in the HX editor input block.

Not sure what to make of it all. I have filed a support ticket. Has anyone else seen this? Or is it just my rig.

Would love to hear from anyone or especially Line 6 - I am baffled and at a total loss as it all worked perfectly with Helix 2.21

I'm not at home, so i don't have my Helix in front of me !

But i think, this is what i've noticed, per preset you can configure the Helix to force and/or lock the 5 positions selector of your variax.

Have a look at your parameters for those presets in the variax/input block....

Last time, i had the opposite, i've programmed the Helix to force the alt tuning on one preset and not for others.

My guitar changed the model but not the alt tuning. I though there was a problem !

The configuration is very important...... ;)

Yeah, there's a global setting to control whether Helix forces a setting or not.  It might now be turned on.  There's been some wonkiness of global setting activation with the new update.  It may be set correctly but might not be active till you look at it in global settings on the unit.  Or, perhaps the default setting has changed with the update, or perhaps you didn't restore your previous global settings (you didn't say in your post).

Thanks to you both - I will take a look and let you know

I have presets that force a given Variax model and they are not forcing the model currently. This may indicate that the global setting you mention is set wrong.

As I said it worked with Helix 2.21 so the update may have changed something globally.

Again - thanks

I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks Gents!

Just sat down in front of my Helix with my JTV69.

There is no setting I could find locally using the Helix GUI to adjust any Variax input parameters. If you know where the Variax settings are on the floor board - please let me know.

HOWEVER - I did fire up the HX Editor and looked at the Variax Input block. - It was set to Global and the model/pickup selector wold not work.

When I changed it to PER PRESET - life was back to normal..... And even with changing presets - the model selector switch continued to work.

Thanks much for your help. Everything works as it did before the 2.30 update.

Best regards

Art Braun

Thanks Gents!

Just sat down in front of my Helix with my JTV69.

There is no setting I could find locally using the Helix GUI to adjust any Variax input parameters. If you know where the Variax settings are on the floor board - please let me know.

HOWEVER - I did fire up the HX Editor and looked at the Variax Input block. - It was set to Global and the model/pickup selector wold not work.

When I changed it to PER PRESET - life was back to normal..... And even with changing presets - the model selector switch continued to work.

Thanks much for your help. Everything works as it did before the 2.30 update.

Best regards

Art Braun

Yep, that's a global setting in the global settings on the Floor (and LT) (and Rack)

You have to go on to the entry block with the joystick and then move into the block parameters via the right arrow (like you do to move into an amp/cab block) and you'll find the kind of guitar to use, the volume and tone knob position and on the last page, the alt tuning.....

Thank you Steve

There had to be way - it just eluded me. I was only looking at the global settings and it never occurred to me to edit a preset input block which is how I fixed it using th HX Editor

I really never edit on the floor board so I am totally lame at using it for editing. My Helix is always connected to my Mac in the studio. I get my setup in order using the software editors and then just use it as is when I go gigging.

Thanks again for the insight.

Best regards

Thank you Steve

There had to be way - it just eluded me. I was only looking at the global settings and it never occurred to me to edit a preset input block which is how I fixed it using th HX Editor

Not your fault really. The Variax setting for global versus per preset being located on the Input block rather than somewhere in the Global Settings is unusual and rather unique on the Helix. You would not expect a setting within a preset to impact every other preset using the Variax. This has confounded many users, you are far from the first and ultimately it would make more sense if eventually it got moved to the Global Settings as that's what it is. Logically it has no place being located within a preset but perhaps architecturally or from a programming perspective that was the best or easiest way to implement it.

• 8 months later...

I have a JV 59 and Shurikan Variax'.  When plugged into my Helix there is no recognition of the models as toggled on the two guitars.  At first I thought it was just the JV 59 and took it into the shop.  No problems.  Toggle works when plugged into amp on both guitars.  All I get on the Helix is the pickup changes.  Have changed cables, guitars, amps, batteries etc.  All works except when plugged into the Helix with the Variax cable (have tried three cables).  By process of elimination it can only be the Helix.  I am on version 2.60