Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix as an Interface Question

dreamsofspring

Is this possible in Helix:

Right now, my Adam A7 monitors are sitting in storage with family in my old town (recently moved).  As such, I'm stuck with headphones for the time being. 

I have a separate interface for my mac, but not for windows.  On my PC, I set up my Helix to go guitar in -->insert no blocks --> raw signal to multi out --> USB audio into my daw --> run signal through VSTs --> DAW output to helix.  

However, the Helix headphone out will then give me both the DAW output, and the sound of the guitar being played if I'm trying to monitor live.  Is there a way I can set it up such that the dry Helix guitar sound in this case is not routed through to the headphone out?

The workaround here is that I could just record parts using the Helix sounds and then re-amp through VSTs, but that then takes away the fun of messing around in realtime with my VST effects.  

Is there any way to do this or am I out of luck until I get a separate PC interface? 

Is this possible in Helix:

Right now, my Adam A7 monitors are sitting in storage with family in my old town (recently moved).  As such, I'm stuck with headphones for the time being. 

I have a separate interface for my mac, but not for windows.  On my PC, I set up my Helix to go guitar in -->insert no blocks --> raw signal to multi out --> USB audio into my daw --> run signal through VSTs --> DAW output to helix.  

However, the Helix headphone out will then give me both the DAW output, and the sound of the guitar being played if I'm trying to monitor live.  Is there a way I can set it up such that the dry Helix guitar sound in this case is not routed through to the headphone out?

The workaround here is that I could just record parts using the Helix sounds and then re-amp through VSTs, but that then takes away the fun of messing around in realtime with my VST effects.  

Is there any way to do this or am I out of luck until I get a separate PC interface? 

If I understand your question correctly, I think it's a DAW setup problem.

You should try disabling monitoring on the recording track in your DAW. Usually it's an "i" or "in" button. That way, you only hear the Helix's signal while recording.

In your DAW, you have a choice of what you're recording. You can record the dry signal or the processed signal - or, ideally, both at the same time. That gives you the option to reamp later, either with the Helix (by routing that dry track to the signal chain input), but if you're happy, you can keep the processed signal.

Another alternative, and what I've been doing recently, is using Helix Native. I use the Helix for monitoring, but record the dry signal. Then I add a Helix Native plugin, and start with the same preset that I had in my Helix, which sounds the same as recording the processed signal directly. If I'm not 100% happy with how it sounds in the mix, I tweak the preset, or try other ones.

Hi, thanks for your reply. 

What I've been trying to figure out how to do is use the Helix as an interface only to experiment with using some other guitar plugins, or to use the helix sounds and monitor an additional VST live through my headphones connected through the helix.  

I figured out one way to do it just now, but I'm not sure if its best:

Path 1: Guitar in --> no blocks --> USB 1/2 

Path 2: USB 3/4 --> no blocks --> 1/4" out (which also goes to headphones)

Then I can use the Helix as just a pass through interface to monitor various VSTs, whether its Native, products from other develops, etc. and then tack on my reverb and delay VSTs and monitor them in real time.  

You can do that more easily by using the default setting for USB chnanel 7 which is the dry signal from the Helix guitar input. This replaces your Path 1 with no blocks setup you described. In your DAW select Helix Input 7 as your input for the track you are recording. The dry guitar track will be recorded and you can then apply plug-ins to it as desired.