Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax 600 or 700 with Firehawk FX

jwiley

I've searched all the forums and still seem to get differing opinions.  I'm thinking of picking up one of the older Variax guitars.  Can anyone verify if the old Variax can be controlled by the Firehawk.  By that I mean use the Firehawk to change and play different models from the Variax.  I've seen lots that say it won't control the tuning, but I'm mainly worried about the models.

And also, to confirm, you have to use the non-HD Workbench software to plug up the older Variax?  Is that software still available on the Line 6 site?

Yes it will Control all Variax guitars in terms of model selection. Here's a relevant snip from the manual.

Firehawk FX supports the use of any Line 6 Variax® instrument via the VARIAX connection on the rear panel. And with any James Tyler® Variax® (JTV) or Variax® Standard instrument, control of alternate tunings and model/magnetic pickup switching are supported as well.

Not Firehawk user but I’ve been using an old 500 w/VDI to Helix for backup and it works fine for selecting models but any tunings NOT saved to guitar models will not function.  Floor pedal unit tuning feature is only supported when using JTV guitars.  

And yes, gotta use legacy Workbench to edit the old Variax guitars.  HD is only for JTV guitars.  

• 2 years later...