Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

No sound from Helix SPDIF via Focusrite Saffire Pro 14

GazzaBloom

Just got a new Helix and upgraded firmware to 2.30, reset global parameters and am running HX Edit 2.30. Helix works fine and passes audio through 1/4 outs and headphones.

I have connected Helix SPDIF out to my Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, set Helix to Digital out = SPDIF and sample rate is 48KHz. When I set the Saffire pro to Sync Source SPDIF and sample rate to 48KHz I get no sound but the meters are jumping about as though there is a loud signal passing through but I hear nothing, the Sync light doesn't illuminate on the Focusrite.

The Focusrite is connected to monitors and an iMac running MacOS High Sierra.

What am I doing wrong?

I had a Helix earlier this years and connected up and got sound no problem.

Hi,

I use the same setup for tracking di guitars.

you should be able to set all up in saffire mixcontrol program. try disabling spdif ac3 mode. if you operate in 48khz, you dont have to necessarily put saffire in spdif sync mode, leave internal. don't forget to make two new channels in mix1 for spdif1 and spdif2

also, in helix you can leave set output to multi since it includes digital, too, so you should be able to troubleshoot from helix outgoing audio first

hope this helps

Thanks. I have inputs set in Mix 1 within Mixcontrol. If I leave the Saffire as Internal I get a digital static crunch sound that repeats over and over "click click". When I set it to sync over SPDF the click click stops but the meters are jumping all over the place but there is no sound.

I wonder if my SPDIF cable is damaged? 

I'm at a loss here. reinstalled Helix 2.30 firmware, reinstalled Focusrite Saffire Mix Control 3.7, tried new lead and I still get no sound. The Saffire Mix Control meters are spiking as though there is signal but guitar is not plugged in. When I turn the volume knob down on the Helix to 0 the activity in the meters stops. I thought the digital outs were not faceted by the volume knob?

Could the Helix digital out be faulty?

I don't have another device with digital SPDIF out to rule out the Saffire Pro 14 as being the issue

UPDATE: When I turn the Helix volume knob down to zero the activity in the meters stops and the Saffire achieves sync lock. When I turn the Helix volume back up sync lock is broken and the meters start jumping around but with no audio.

I think the Helix digital out is faulty