Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using a Dunlop Volume X as an expression pedal

carlito17

I recently was trying to get the Dunlop Volume X to work as an expression pedal for the Helix. I have seen multiple posts about it not working properly and decided to tinker around with it. I think I found a way to make it work (at least it is working for my rig). I am using a TRS-TRS cable out of the DVPX exp out into the Helix exp 1. I removed the bottom plate from the DVP and there is a little blue button near the front of the pedal. I pushed it in. Then on the Helix I inverted the polarity of Exp 1 (where the DVP is plugged in) and it now works as it should. Not sure why, but it works. Bottom plated reinstalled and I'm back at it. Let me know if this works for anyone else.

I attempted to use one when I first got Helix and it would work from 0% up to 50% of its travel, then it would reverse and go down to 0% parameter level as the pedal continued to move towards the toe.  Im curious to try what you posted as well as test it with the polarity flip in Helix.

According the PDF specs sheet, the internal button is a Polarity flip switch. But given that you can flip the polarity on the Helix itself, you don't need to bother with the internal switch.

I just tested it as you described but it does not work, at least on my system. For some reason both have to be changed (blue button in and exp inverted) to get it to work. It makes no sense but that is the only way mine will work. The one thing I did find is that it can be a plain TS to TS. It does not have to be TRS to TRS.

I attempted to use one when I first got Helix and it would work from 0% up to 50% of its travel, then it would reverse and go down to 0% parameter level as the pedal continued to move towards the toe. Im curious to try what you posted as well as test it with the polarity flip in Helix.

You could just push the blue switch in and not invert the polarity on the helix side but then you need to go into controller assign and turn the min value to 100 and the max to 0. I find it’s just easier to flip the switch and invert the polarity on expression 1 in the global settings. Everything then works as expected. I do not get why this works this way but it works

• 1 month later...

So you guys haven't figured it out or did you just give up.  I've been effing with this pedal for a couple hours and my bulllollipop needle is pegging out.  I have the same problem with the position going from 0 to 43 and back to 0 from heel to toe and I'm not about to jump through a bunch of hoops for a piece of equipment I just spent a couple grand on.  I just want it to work with a REASONABLE amount of effort  :angry:

• 6 months later...